Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

*ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)
Closed Thread

Old 15-03-2005, 19:45   #61
purenuman
Inactive

Services: SKY+ & NTL 2mb
purenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these parts
Re: *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyL
Laugh it up fuzzball!
I will..... Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2005, 19:48   #62
BloodyL
Inactive

Services: 50Mb
BloodyL will become famous soon enoughBloodyL will become famous soon enoughBloodyL will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrotnig
Do they also pop round and make phone calls on your telephone?

If they did, would you complain to your phone company that your bill had gone up but it wasn't you that made the calls?
Incorrect analogy my friend, the bill hasn't gone up, the usage has been limited.
And yes, I would complain if ntl turned round and said that I could have a clearer audio signal on my phone line at no extra charge but they are going to limit me to ten calls a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purenuman
I will..... Thanks!
Hehehe..
Old 15-03-2005, 19:51   #63
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Regardless of what is said about NTL not sneaking the cap in this time they failed on hte communicatioin side. 1gig a day 12 months ago was forced then after the outrage of customers it was let slip and left there in silence but with the increase speeds the cap should have been researched and customers perhaps asked a few questions to see what applications they would be using. These speeds are good for bandwidth hungy applications that are legal but are no limited. This quote from a news post on ISPr will show how others are handling the capping situation and communicating with their consumers to find the best way. They seem not willing to lose the customers over caps that are just too restrictive.

Quote:
Managing heavy usage

With VoIP and other volume hungry applications becoming more popular, the way in which ISPs manage demand is set to become a key challenge in coming months. Nildram has addressed this through a fair usage policy, which allows non-pay as you go non-business users up to 50GB per month, offering extra bandwidth for sale at 99p per GB. To give you an idea of how much 50GB of data is, it would be equivalent to watching an average broadband video stream (300kbps) for around 11 hours a day, every day of the month †“ so we feel that this gives users plenty of headroom. Some other ISPs have taken a more heavy-handed approach, expelling "broadband hogs" or shifting them on to special "bad boy pipes".

Over the next year weââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll see the roll out of the much anticipated 8MB circuits. Clearly this is paving the way for IPTV, again raising issues about usage management. While many service providerââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s PR engines have kicked into overdrive, the reality is that BT have yet to announce full details, although a trial is expected from July. The answers here probably lie in a change in pricing model between service providers, content providers and consumers.

Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ll be interesting to see how the rest of the industry deals with the capping issue. When NTL set its cap at 1GB per day in 2003, there was outrage from many of their users, some of which banded together and formed a pressure group against the move. However, the vast majority of our customer base utilise less than 50 GB per month †“ less than one per cent would be affected by our own fair usage policy - and the feedback weâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve had so far has, almost without exception, been positive.
Taken from http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/n...lAEplkRtMxwkJt
Old 15-03-2005, 20:36   #64
purenuman
Inactive

purenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these partspurenuman is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits
Regardless of what is said about NTL not sneaking the cap in this time they failed on hte communicatioin side. 1gig a day 12 months ago was forced then after the outrage of customers it was let slip and left there in silence but with the increase speeds the cap should have been researched and customers perhaps asked a few questions to see what applications they would be using. These speeds are good for bandwidth hungy applications that are legal but are no limited. This quote from a news post on ISPr will show how others are handling the capping situation and communicating with their consumers to find the best way. They seem not willing to lose the customers over caps that are just too restrictive.

Maybe we could discuss this later............. Like when (and if) NTL introduce a hard cap for 2&3mb (yes I know the 1mb starts later this year).

Or maybe even when they start using the "Guideline" to warn people about over use...... But when (or if) they do...
Old 15-03-2005, 22:56   #65
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

Weren't people already warned for going over the guideline? Even on the slower speeds. I believe they recieved letters, but nothing ever went further, for whatever reason.
Old 15-03-2005, 23:34   #66
carlingman
Inactive

carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal
carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by th'engineer
Has anyone still got a copy of the Goodland tapes on their PC

It is cap related
Yep full copy here.

I have not got any web space to upload it too so if your email can handle 33mb give me a shout and i can mail it.

Old 15-03-2005, 23:49   #67
purenuman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlingman
Yep full copy here.

I have not got any web space to upload it too so if your email can handle 33mb give me a shout and i can mail it.

Or use http://s15.yousendit.com/

You can send files of up to 1 gig.......... if that doesn't take you over your ISPs cap
Old 15-03-2005, 23:50   #68
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits

I don't suppose Nildram will wan't to lose too many customers seeing they only have 40,000 on broadband.
Old 15-03-2005, 23:53   #69
carlingman
Inactive

carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal
carlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appealcarlingman has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by purenuman
Or use http://s15.yousendit.com/

You can send files of up to 1 gig.......... if that doesn't take you over your ISPs cap

Cheers for the link but my ISP does not have a CAP.

CAP whats a CAP oh I know it whats I wear when its raining when I am playing golf.

Old 16-03-2005, 00:06   #70
purenuman
Inactive

Quote:

Cheers for the link but my ISP does not have a CAP.
Neither does mine

I'm on NTLs 2mb
Old 16-03-2005, 00:30   #71
DVS
Inactive

Services: 3Mbit STB broadband TV Base Pack 321 Phone
DVS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scastle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS
Here here.. Someone else who realises what this 'cap' is all about. Milking a few more pounds out of the service. Who will see the benefits - Shareholders and the boses who will get yet another bumper bonus.

Maybe they are milking those extra pounds to help pay for some of the upgrades the network needs?
I've no doubt a small amount will go back into the network but as I state above I fully expect the lions share will go towards lining the shareholders and boses pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrotnig
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS
I hope the rumours I heard recently about Cable operators being forced to open their networks for competitors to use was more than a rumour as then switching ISPs would be far easier.
ntl's network was built with private money. The people who stumped up the cash are entitled to try and get some return on that investment. Why should they then see that investment capability undermined by being forced to allow competitiors to use it to undercut their own prices?

To do this ntl would have to paid hundreds of millions of pounds, if not billions of pounds, in compensation, and that money would have to come from the taxpayer, which as a taxpayer myself I'd object to vehemntly.
Would they? Yes NTL would kick off and possibly rightly so but surely NTL have to abide by whatever OFCOM dictates and if OFCOM said open your network would NTL not have to comply? I'm not saying this could/would happen just hypothesising
Quote:
See, this is just yet another example of people who don't understand even the simplest basics of the market making pronouncements about it.
Quite frankly I didn't state anywhere that I did understand the market (nor do I want to as lifes too short). I was simply repeating what I'd read on one of the tech news sites. May even have been on the register or the inquirer (and yes I'm well aware that they aren't the most reliable sources of information )

Quote:
Originally posted by scrotnig
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS
Here here.. Someone else who realises what this 'cap' is all about. Milking a few more pounds out of the service. Who will see the benefits - Shareholders and the boses who will get yet another bumper bonus.
Milking a few more pounds out of a commercial product. Yes, isn't that disgraceful in a free market economy, especially for a company that makes no profit at the moment.
This wonderful free market economy is great for consumers isn't it. You only have to look at the recent news items regarding tour operators to see that we live in "rip off Britain". Corporate entities taking consumers for a ride. Wonderful.
Quote:
People criticise ntl for not marketing their products in such a way that they could actually make some money and thus invest in the network, then when they try they are criticised for that too. DAMNED IF THEY DO, DAMNED IF THEY DON'T.
If they cut the 'fat cats' bonuses at the top they'd have plenty to invest
Old 16-03-2005, 10:28   #72
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

I have been lately downloading quite a few demos, upgrades etc and have hit my 1gb cap for the last two days, then my internet pages stop opening properly and my downloads slow right down. Is this the cap doing this? I find it strange as i restart my PC and all is well for an hour or so until it does it again, my friend also has the same problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this? please!!
Old 16-03-2005, 10:44   #73
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Doubt it.
Old 16-03-2005, 11:02   #74
th'engineer
Inactive

Services: up to 30 MEG CF version of Peter Kay
th'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to th'engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyL
Incorrect analogy my friend, the bill hasn't gone up, the usage has been limited.
And yes, I would complain if ntl turned round and said that I could have a clearer audio signal on my phone line at no extra charge but they are going to limit me to ten calls a day.
Think you may need a provider without limits, so suggest you need to look at ADSL guide for suppliers.
Your connection allready has a usage guide on it of 30 GB a monthwhich has been on for a long time please read your NTL terms and conditions .
Details can be found here www.anticap.co.uk
NTL do not want bandwidth hogs

Quote:
Yep full copy here.

yes please msn account
Old 16-03-2005, 11:06   #75
obvious
Inactive

Services: ntl 20Mbps/Sky+/BT
obvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via ICQ to obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell
I have been lately downloading quite a few demos, upgrades etc and have hit my 1gb cap for the last two days, then my internet pages stop opening properly and my downloads slow right down. Is this the cap doing this? I find it strange as i restart my PC and all is well for an hour or so until it does it again, my friend also has the same problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this? please!!
This should explain everything.
Old 16-03-2005, 11:15   #76
neo123
Inactive

Services: 20meg bb
neo123 is an unknown quantity at this point

lmao that was a good one obvious...you have made my day, there is so many people i can give that link heh
Old 16-03-2005, 12:01   #77
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by obvious
This should explain everything.
I was asking a serious question.
It has only happened since upgrading to 3mb.
Old 16-03-2005, 12:04   #78
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Im having the same problem, but its been happening since before my upgrade to 2MBit.
Old 16-03-2005, 12:45   #79
obvious
Inactive

Services: ntl 20Mbps/Sky+/BT
obvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via ICQ to obvious

No offence intended. Was just having a giggle.
Old 16-03-2005, 12:49   #80
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

Well i've been going over 1GB a day, since i got the upgrade to 3mb, and i've not lost speed once. It might just be work getting carried out in your area, to cope with the new speeds.
Closed Thread