Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-08-2008, 21:45   #14161
Frank Rizzo
Inactive

Frank Rizzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Bye then.
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2008, 21:50   #14162
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
Bye then.
Please don't bore me with irrelevant goodbye's. I don't do soap opera's.
Old 15-08-2008, 21:57   #14163
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Could some semblance of sanity and/or civility be resumed please? A great deal of effort has been put into the construction and flow of this thread and for it to implode in bickering would be a complete travesty.

I'm going to swim against the tide on this one. Please listen calmly.

I feel very uneasy with the public exposure this brings to a member of the Police; this is absolutely not the route for this debate to turn. The Police do a superb job and I do not condone any approach that might affect the reputation of an individual officer or reflect unfavourably on the Police force itself.

A personal plea to Alex: please withdraw the telecons at least; it is in my view an ugly way to do business (and potentially massively damaging to the issue at hand).

Please everyone, think hard about why you are contributing here. There is no need for the bullish attitude. We are exercising our democratic rights and have achieved a great deal. Let's not step into the realms of the ridiculous with this. Please.

And remember, it was a moderator who had the vision to start this thread.
Old 15-08-2008, 22:03   #14164
davews
Inactive

davews is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say my view is very close to that of Kursk, it was totally wrong to give all this public exposure and can only do harm to our case. I have supported the anti-phorm movement for a long time and generally agreed with what has been happening, but publishing details of private conversations is just not on. I also won't be posting for a while, goodnight.
Old 15-08-2008, 22:12   #14165
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
Having just listened to your first audio, I think you behaved disgracefully to be quite honest. Quite apart from whether the officer in question understands RIPA or not, there is no excuse for you trying to verbally browbeat him ('talk me down', was how he put it to you, and he's right, that's exactly what you were doing); you failed to take on board his legitimate point that you could have been just *anybody*, the police get nutters and timewasters on the phone all the time; and finally, when he stated that he was ending the call due, apparently, to your complete lack of civility towards him, it's outrageous of you to *wilfully* misinterpret his actions by stating that he was therefore refusing to discuss the issue.

It seems to me that you went out looking for something that would sound sensational on your grotty little blog and win you kudos among the phorm-hat3rz on this and other forums. You weren't talking to him and you sure as hell weren't listening to him, you were thinking only of how great it would make you sound.

The whole thing reeks of a late night, local radio telephone prank call. Except without being funny.

Bad show.
It's odd how people can listen to the same thing yet interpret these things differently isn't it?

Whilst Alex was obviously ready to fight his corner, he was following up on a complaint *he* made. The officer in question didn't exactly cover himself in glory yet you failed to mention that aspect...curious omission.
Old 15-08-2008, 22:17   #14166
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

My tuppence.

We shouldn't pick a public fight with the police. Any decision to launch a criminal investigation of BT is going to be taken at a level much higher than DS.

The conversations should be documented and sent to the EU and IPCC, together with the recordings if needed, but the recordings should be removed from public access. This is possibly material for a formal complaint, not a blog.

Just my opinion.
Old 15-08-2008, 22:35   #14167
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Well personal i agree on both sides, i dnt think there should be a fight over the police, but the person attuide sucks so to a degree i think ther eshould be public expsoure, and form personal experaince (wont go into details off what happened but it was a serious offense ) the police done nothing but just ingore hte sutition and that hwat there doign now,
Old 15-08-2008, 22:41   #14168
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

I've had another listen to the first call and made my wife listen for an impartial review without any prompting from me and we both agreed that the Detective became agressive in his tone when Alex disagreed with him about RIPA being applicable (The policeman said "I'm telling you it doesn't" to which Alex responded with something like "I have to disagree with you there sir".)

It was at this point the policeman said he wasn't going to discuss it anymore and started telling Alex off for what he {the policeman} had been doing throughout the whole discussion which was interrupting.

After the few heated words and Alex remained calm and said so a couple of times, the policeman did not take the opportunity to remain calm himself and continued to talk as if he was being attacked!

Totally unprofessional imho.
Old 15-08-2008, 23:01   #14169
Paul Delaney

Hmm

The chief constable probably got together with some colleagues (aka Knights of the Templars Rouge) on the weekly lodge night, and digesting their advice decided to pass it on, not to a department which uses qualified civilian advisors, but one comprising mostly of goon squad plods.

Considering Alex's qualifications there's no chance of him debating the subject on a one to one basis with the officer they passed the case to is there? The police do have officers who are competent - shame they passed the file to one who isn't...

Journalist: Do you use outside help such as psychics when investigating crime
Officer: Yes we do, particularly when confessions are in short supply, we find that they are almost always able to get suspects to comply.
Journalist: No, I mean people who can use a pendulum and map to find missing persons or bodies - a psychic
Officer: Oh, I thought you meant a psycho! Yes we use psychics, but only if they're handy with their fists...

Old 15-08-2008, 23:03   #14170
oldun
Inactive

oldun is on a distinguished roadoldun is on a distinguished road

I agree with the comment posted by BetBlowWhistler at 21:14.

I come here for information on Phorm, I do not post, it is not my area of expertise, but I have taken many of the actions recommended here to fight Phorm.

As a stranger, I found your rules regarding politeness rather quaint. But tonight they do not seem to apply, at least not to moderators. "grotty little blog" indeed.

I can go to other sites for information, so Bye
Old 15-08-2008, 23:09   #14171
daisey
Inactive

daisey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldun View Post
I agree with the comment posted by BetBlowWhistler at 21:14.

I come here for information on Phorm, I do not post, it is not my area of expertise, but I have taken many of the actions recommended here to fight Phorm.

As a stranger, I found your rules regarding politeness rather quaint. But tonight they do not seem to apply, at least not to moderators. "grotty little blog" indeed.

I can go to other sites for information, so Bye
hi i am new but been reading the thread for quite a while. why are all of you fighting like this? dont you think that Phorm are laughing their heads off right now? your self destruct is exactly what they want and frankly, will validate everything they say about all of you elsewhere.

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Please don't bore me with irrelevant goodbye's. I don't do soap opera's.
this is very immature. how old is everybody?
Old 15-08-2008, 23:09   #14172
Trollop
Inactive

Trollop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
Absolutely agree. I have been watching this forum for while and felt I had to join tonight to comment on the calls.

I have worked as a staff trainer in a large call centre and the policeman who answered that call acted in a very unprofessional manner - one does not deal with queries from the public - whoever they are - by becoming defensive when questioned. If you do not know the answer to a question (ie the application of RIPA) then you say so and you offer to find out and get back to them - you do not make it up or give what you think might be the answer - this applies whatever industry you work in.

Instead the DS became defensive, which put him on the back foot, and Alex remaining calm and polite just made him more angry.

Unprofessional - simple.
Old 15-08-2008, 23:09   #14173
lardycake
Inactive

lardycake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
I've had another listen to the first call and made my wife listen for an impartial review without any prompting from me and we both agreed that the Detective became agressive in his tone when Alex disagreed with him about RIPA being applicable (The policeman said "I'm telling you it doesn't" to which Alex responded with something like "I have to disagree with you there sir".

It was at this point the policeman said he wasn't going to discuss it anymore and started telling Alex off for what he {the policeman} had been doing throughout the whole discussion which was interrupting.

After the few heated words and Alex remained calm and said so a couple of times, the policeman did not take the opportunity to remain calm himself and continued to talk as if he was being attacked!

Thank you, sir.
I've not listened to the recordings, so I cannot express an opinion but your interpretation sounds more convincing to me that that expressed earlier.

What I find unsavoury about the earlier post was not the opinion but the provocative and insulting manner it was expressed in.
Old 15-08-2008, 23:10   #14174
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Well if BT has there way just now PHORM are probally spying on people and saying oh we want to sue them
Old 15-08-2008, 23:13   #14175
Trollop
Inactive

Trollop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardycake View Post
What I find unsavoury about the earlier post was not the opinion but the provocative and insulting manner it was expressed in.
Well put.
Closed Thread