Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 18-03-2020, 10:39   #766
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

The streets are empty but the supermarkets are rammed this is not isolation.
Old 18-03-2020, 10:42   #767
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

We've paid upfront for delivery slots from Sainsbury's but they can't/don't reserve places for us. Still we can get to the shops, not Aldi, don't like scrumming.

For those on here who are Christians this may encourage.
My wife's reading this morning Paul reminding his readers of God providing manna in the desert. Mine then included John 6:31"Our ancestors ate manna in the desert, just as the scripture says, ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’ ”

Going back to the Old Testament account
  1. Everyone gathered enough, those who gather a bit and those that gathered more.
  2. Provision to gather more for the Sabbath (spoke to me of special occasion etc)
  3. Those who tried to take too much found the extra rotten and smelly (don't hoard)
  4. Provision lasted until they could get food normally again (40 years in Israel's case though it didn't need be that long).
Just believe that it should encourage to buy what is needed, it will be enough, don't try to be greedy and hoard (or even worse price gouge).
Old 18-03-2020, 10:50   #768
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
We've paid upfront for delivery slots from Sainsbury's but they can't/don't reserve places for us. Still we can get to the shops, not Aldi, don't like scrumming.

For those on here who are Christians this may encourage.
My wife's reading this morning Paul reminding his readers of God providing manna in the desert. Mine then included John 6:31"Our ancestors ate manna in the desert, just as the scripture says, ‘He gave them bread from heaven to eat.’ ”

Going back to the Old Testament account
  1. Everyone gathered enough, those who gather a bit and those that gathered more.
  2. Provision to gather more for the Sabbath (spoke to me of special occasion etc)
  3. Those who tried to take too much found the extra rotten and smelly (don't hoard)
  4. Provision lasted until they could get food normally again (40 years in Israel's case though it didn't need be that long).
Just believe that it should encourage to buy what is needed, it will be enough, don't try to be greedy and hoard (or even worse price gouge).
If manna comes in a tin you aint getting any
Old 18-03-2020, 10:55   #769
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Anyone who is self employed or who has had to close their business due to the pandemic can now call HMRC on 0300 456 3565 for advice on tax and any benefits available to them.
https://www.understandinguniversalcr...-vD-msuAAbHzOY A guide to Universal Credit for those who need to claim. This benefit does not pay anything for people to live on or help with rent & mortgage payments for at least the first five weeks. CLAIM AS SOON AS YOU KNOW YOU WILL BE LAID OFF, HAVE TO CLOSE YOUR BUSINESS OR ARE MADE REDUNDANT. This is because you do not get paid for the first week and the following four weeks are paid in arrears. This may be even longer if you receive any outstanding wages or receive a tax refund. The seven days starts from the date you claim, so claiming straight away gets the clock ticking. If you cannot manage during the waiting period, you are entitled to ask for an interest free loan that they will claw back from your ongoing payments.
Old 18-03-2020, 11:37   #770
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Dear Lord.

ITS THE FLU
No, it isn’t...

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-new...hing-in-common
Quote:
No, Coronavirus Isn't 'Just Like The Flu'. Here Are The Very Important Differences

Aches and pains, sore throat, fever – although they may feel similar to those suffering from their symptoms, the novel coronavirus is not the same as the seasonal flu, experts stressed Wednesday.

COVID-19, the illness caused by coronavirus, proves deadly in around 3.5 percent of confirmed cases.

While this is not the same as its mortality rate, given many people may be infected but not realise it, it is significantly higher than seasonal flu, which typically kills 0.1 percent of patients.

"There is still considerable uncertainty around the fatality rates of COVID-19 and it likely varies depending on the quality of local healthcare," said Francois Balloux, Professor of Computational Systems Biology at University College London.

"That said, it is around two percent on average, which is about 20 times higher than for the seasonal flu lineages currently in circulation."

But the true danger of coronavirus is unlikely to be the death toll. Experts say health systems could easily become overwhelmed by the number of cases requiring hospitalisation – and, often ventilation to support breathing.
The other major difference between flu and COVID-19 is that scientists have studied seasonal flu for decades. So, despite the danger of it, we know a lot about flu viruses and what to expect each season - however, very little is known about COVID-19, because it's so new; this means COVID-19 is something of a wild card in terms of how far it will spread, how it will mutate, and how many deaths it will cause.

On a related note, mum-in-law’s care home is now locked down - only visits being allowed are "end of life" visits.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 18-03-2020, 12:26   #771
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
”Turn it off and on again”
I think this one is the current plan. But more control is possible than a simple on-off tap, so they can maximise ICU utilisation but not overload it.

Also ICU capacity should ramp up over time, provided they can find the staff.
Old 18-03-2020, 12:27   #772
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Can't take too much cocodomol - codeine addiction isn't good.
Take enough of it and loo roll shortages won't be a problem. Be bunged up for days...
Old 18-03-2020, 12:50   #773
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
No, it isn’t...

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-new...hing-in-common

The other major difference between flu and COVID-19 is that scientists have studied seasonal flu for decades. So, despite the danger of it, we know a lot about flu viruses and what to expect each season - however, very little is known about COVID-19, because it's so new; this means COVID-19 is something of a wild card in terms of how far it will spread, how it will mutate, and how many deaths it will cause.

On a related note, mum-in-law’s care home is now locked down - only visits being allowed are "end of life" visits.
OK I should have rephrased it as it's A flu.

The vast majority of people that get it will recover after a couple of weeks.

I'm not underplaying how ill people will get, some will get very ill but most will recover.

As far as I can ascertain, every death in the UK has had a contributing factor associated with it.
Old 18-03-2020, 13:13   #774
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Can't take too much cocodomol - codeine addiction isn't good.
Yeah, when i'm in a lot of pain I have to alternate with ibuprofen so that I don't overdose.

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Take enough of it and loo roll shortages won't be a problem. Be bunged up for days...
Oh yes....

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
OK I should have rephrased it as it's A flu.

The vast majority of people that get it will recover after a couple of weeks.

I'm not underplaying how ill people will get, some will get very ill but most will recover.

As far as I can ascertain, every death in the UK has had a contributing factor associated with it.
If we don't find a vaccine and it can come back because the body isn't making us immune, lots of people will be repeatedly off work in an ongoing situation. It's not just about people dying, it will destroy our economy.

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Does anyone know how tomorrows emergency legislation will work after being put to the house?

I think it's normally something like green paper, white paper, bill, law.

Will it become immediately law as it's emergency legislation?

Ocado now saying that they aren't accepting any new orders.
Old 18-03-2020, 13:24   #775
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

All schools in Scotland and Wales set to close on Friday.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...riday-11959688
Old 18-03-2020, 13:36   #776
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

All Bills become law as soon as they have Royal assent. The powers contained in the law may have activation dates specified along with them, but it’s law as soon as Liz signs it. This might normally take a day or two but I suspect in this case they’ll be straight round to the palace with it.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
All schools in Scotland and Wales set to close on Friday.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...riday-11959688
That is directly contrary to the briefings Scottish teachers were being given even yesterday afternoon. I will be interested to see where this is coming from.

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

BBC says this has come from Nippy’s daily briefing.

Just goes to show how quickly things are changing.

Within the last 3 days we have heard schools will stay open til Easter but then stay shut until after the summer holidays; then schools will remain open come hell or high water; and now schools will shut this week and stay shut until after the summer holidays. The aim of keeping them open was as a bare minimum child care provision to save grandparents from being drawn into babysitting social contact, to prevent emergency services staff having to arrange childcare, and because some kids will neither eat nor wash effectively if they’re not in school.

I wonder what’s changed.

Last edited by Chris; 18-03-2020 at 13:40.
Old 18-03-2020, 13:44   #777
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
All Bills become law as soon as they have Royal assent. The powers contained in the law may have activation dates specified along with them, but it’s law as soon as Liz signs it. This might normally take a day or two but I suspect in this case they’ll be straight round to the palace with it.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

That is directly contrary to the briefings Scottish teachers were being given even yesterday afternoon. I will be interested to see where this is coming from.

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Within the last 3 days we have heard schools will stay open til Easter but then stay shut until after the summer holidays; then schools will remain open come hell or high water; and now schools will shut this week and stay shut until after the summer holidays. The aim of keeping them open was as a bare minimum child care provision to save grandparents from being drawn into babysitting social contact, to prevent emergency services staff having to arrange childcare, and because some kids will neither eat nor wash effectively if they’re not in school.

I wonder what’s changed.
Thanks, so basically it will become law tomorrow. Let's hope they push it under the Queens door!

Yes, there's grandparents health to consider, parents may have to cease working, children on free school meals may go without. What a bloody mess, but I think it's the least worse option.
Old 18-03-2020, 14:03   #778
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

I wonder what’s changed.
Its a struggle to keep up with how rapidly the situation is changing as its just a matter of time before England's schools are closed as well.

Lockdown is probably just around the corner given this has already happened in some EU countries.

This is going to require a monumental effort and great sacrifice from us all in the UK for a considerable time period.
Old 18-03-2020, 14:12   #779
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Its a struggle to keep up with how rapidly the situation is changing as its just a matter of time before England's schools are closed as well.
UK education secretary to make statement at 17:00GMT

Looks like you were right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51939591
Old 18-03-2020, 14:22   #780
denphone
Still alive and fighting

UK coronavirus cases rise by nearly 700.

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status...79247501111297

Quote:
UPDATE on #COVID19 testing in the UK:

As of 9am 18 March 2020, a total of 56,221 people have been tested:

53,595 negative
2,626 positive

The latest confirmed number of deaths will be announced later today.