Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 16-03-2020, 17:53   #646
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Just been up to my local Sainsbury's and the place is stripped of all fresh meat, all kinds of potatoes, all tinned meat, beans etc. Bread, eggs, pasta, noodles and a lot of frozen stuff. Such greed and panic. Never seen anything like it.

I got most of what I needed except an Iceberg lettuce even though a couple of items I got the last but one. Plenty of broccoli though.
Same here all panic this morning because the government is going to lock all old people into their homes for several months
Old 16-03-2020, 17:57   #647
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

They've just announced that everybody should now cease all social contact and that no unneccesary travel should be undertaken.

They aren't banning mass gatherings, but will no longer support them with emergency services. Pubs won't be closed for now, but people are advised to keep away from pubs, clubs and other social gatherings.

Schools may be closed and nobody should use the NHS unless an emergency.
Old 16-03-2020, 18:03   #648
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said 53 people in the UK have now died after testing positive for the coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51903319

Last edited by denphone; 16-03-2020 at 18:29.
Old 16-03-2020, 18:11   #649
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
They are now saying that pregnant women are in the higher risk group now as well.
I think that is because a baby has tested positive for COVID-19 and they are not sure of the route of transmission, the womb or normal airborne or touch routes, after his/her birth.

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Would you agree that the world (and as much as i like to bash Boris it's not just him) has slept walked into this situation? Whilst COVID-19 is relatively new to the western hemisphere. It's been a known issue since late November in China & Hong Kong. (I was temperature scanned in HKG airport at the end of January. whilst on a business trip.)

I can't help but feel there's been a degree of 'It will never happen here' taken by those in charge globally.
W.H.O pretty much give the World a shake this afternoon. Specifically to do more tests.
Old 16-03-2020, 18:11   #650
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Glad we are taking the right measures at last.
Old 16-03-2020, 18:16   #651
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I think that is because a baby has tested positive for COVID-19 and they are not sure of the route of transmission, the womb or normal airborne or touch routes, after his/her birth.
There was a pregnant women the other day who had just had a baby and they both tested positive for Coranavirus.

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Glad we are taking the right measures at last.
l think quite a few of the elderly and those with serious underlying conditions knew these measures were inevitable as my Mum and Dad started to self isolate early last week and likewise with myself.
Old 16-03-2020, 18:35   #652
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Canada is now shutting it's borders to non-citizens/residents of the country.

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

BREAKING: France expected to announce in the next hour that they are to introduce mandatory curfews starting at 6pm tomorrow night, and may be enforced by their military, according to a French diplomat. The measures are being urged as people flout the restrictions already put in place there.
Old 16-03-2020, 18:43   #653
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I can't help but feel there's been a degree of 'It will never happen here' taken by those in charge globally.
As someone who's been watching the leaks from China for 2 months, yes this is exactly what's been happening. If you've watched HBO's chernobly it's been like that in slow motion.

Last edited by downquark1; 16-03-2020 at 18:47.
Old 16-03-2020, 19:01   #654
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Canada is now shutting it's borders to non-citizens/residents of the country.

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

BREAKING: France expected to announce in the next hour that they are to introduce mandatory curfews starting at 6pm tomorrow night, and may be enforced by their military, according to a French diplomat. The measures are being urged as people flout the restrictions already put in place there.
will this lead to riots on the streets, the French are a funny bunch especially when you threaten them.
Old 16-03-2020, 20:04   #655
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
will this lead to riots on the streets, the French are a funny bunch especially when you threaten them.
Oh yes, milk goes up a penny and they riot, whereas Brits tend to just sit back and accept things.

I (and the government must) fear something similar happening here, either because of a backlash to government orders or due to food riots. Denphone posted a link about the army being put onto standby earlier today.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 16-03-2020 at 20:11.
Old 16-03-2020, 20:05   #656
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Pubs won't be closed for now, but people are advised to keep away from pubs, clubs and other social gatherings.
Its mothers day this weekend, people have plans they are not going to give up easily.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 16-03-2020, 20:06   #657
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Social Distancing? Hell I've been doing that all my life.

#TheJoysOfAspergers

Vote #AnyoneButTory

Last edited by Russ; 16-03-2020 at 20:11.
Old 16-03-2020, 20:21   #658
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Its mothers day this weekend, people have plans they are not going to give up easily.
With a few exceptions, every contact I have in the pub trade has said that their figures are down. The government has played a blinder here as, because they haven't ordered pubs etc to close, they can't be sought after for compensation. In addition, because they have not been ordered to close, business interruption insurance will not pay out.

However, because they have now said that everyone must cease all social contact and avoid unneccesary travel, I suspect that most venues will not find it cost effective to open.

Adult children tend to take their mothers out for a meal on mother's day, meaning that a sizeable chunk will have a mother who is mature in years.who may now be too afraid to go out to eat.

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Social Distancing? Hell I've been doing that all my life.

#TheJoysOfAspergers
Old 16-03-2020, 20:23   #659
denphone
Still alive and fighting

What seems quite surreal now is still seeing adverts on TV advertising holidays and cruises abroad still.
Old 16-03-2020, 20:25   #660
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The time of day might be a bit off, as the free travel with elderly and disabled bus passes doesn't start until 9:30am. An added danger is they will be travelling at the same times as loads of other people at that time in the morning.
That may be the case in England but here in Wales my pass is 24/7. Perhaps N.I. is the same?
Closed Thread