Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 15-03-2020, 19:25   #571
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

If you are young and in good health and have nothing to do for two weeks. I recommend you go snog someone with the virus now. In a month you will be able to walk through the hellish landscape with immunity like superman. You can earn a hell of an overtime salary.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:25   #572
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Its not as effective as you seem to think. My Mum was vaccinated, but still got the flu anyway (fortunately, not a serious case).

While its probably higher than flu, the actual rate is just a guess atm, since they have no idea how many mild cases go unreported, and therefore not counted.
As I understand it, the vaccine is made up of the strain that they think will most likely be doing the rounds in a given year. If they get this wrong, or the strain mutates, a person can still get the flu, despite having had the flu jab.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:26   #573
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Just because the UK Government has no idea how many cases, and indeed are opting not to test symptomatic people, doesn't mean other countries haven't scaled up Coronavirus testing in an effort to stem the outbreak.

South Korea for example will have much more accurate figures.

---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
As I understand it, the vaccine is made up of the strain that they think will most likely be doing the rounds in a given year. If they get this wrong, or the strain mutates, a person can still get the flu, despite having had the flu jab.
Or more than one strain is on the go.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:28   #574
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I don't think that there will be a problem keeping the over 70's inside, they seem to already be doing it according to this pub report from today:

"Understandably, all OAPs have stopped going in, who often also come in with family. Theres no longer an upsurge in trade for people coming in to watch football and even regulars have stopped going in. The place is dead as are all the other pubs in the area which are split into 3 distinct groups - those that show football and actively promote it, those that don't and are just drinkers and social community pubs and those that sell menu food. All 3 have been impacted badly and the future situation and outlook doesn't look good."
Old 15-03-2020, 19:35   #575
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Went to a local (ish) Pub for our Sunday meal this afternoon - it was pretty much business as usual.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:47   #576
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Been told by a relative who lives in the ROI that all pubs have been ordered to close at midnight and that this will last for at least two weeks.

On a lighter note the bars in Lanzarote were closed at midnight last night/this morning: An entertainer friend told me this:

Getting chucked out of a pub cause your now on lockdown,
dressed as a f****ng Dalmatian...
defo a thing going in my timeline 😂😂
Old 15-03-2020, 19:54   #577
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

If the government implement all 70+ years are to remain at home for 4 months.

How will it effect people like me who live at home, would I be expected to join them and what about my job. I cannot see my job being happy with that.

Though personally screw my job, family first everytime.
Old 15-03-2020, 20:30   #578
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
If the government implement all 70+ years are to remain at home for 4 months.

How will it effect people like me who live at home, would I be expected to join them and what about my job. I cannot see my job being happy with that.

Though personally screw my job, family first everytime.
This is from an hour ago, it now says that over 70's will be told to stay inside for a long time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51895873

It doesn't specifically mention your situation, but it does say that you can still visit older people if you have no symptoms, but that you must keep six feet apart at all times.

Would you practically and emotionally be able to keep your distance from your parents? If not, you might have to think about temporarily moving out (particularly as you will be moving amongst the outer world) in order to secure their welfare.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 15-03-2020 at 20:34.
Old 15-03-2020, 20:42   #579
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
This is from an hour ago, it now says that over 70's will be told to stay inside for a long time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51895873

It doesn't specifically mention your situation, but it does say that you can still visit older people if you have no symptoms, but that you must keep six feet apart at all times.

Would you practically and emotionally be able to keep your distance from your parents? If not, you might have to think about temporarily moving out (particularly as you will be moving amongst the outer world) in order to secure their welfare.
And in the next sentence.
Quote:
When it happens, they will be asked to stay home for "a very long time", Health Secretary Matt Hancock said.
Later on.
Quote:
Mr Hancock said the over-70s and people with certain health conditions would soon be asked to self-isolate - but he did not say for how long.
Quote:
So officials will ask those at most risk of developing severe illness to stay at home.
Quote:
They believe the longest they could ask people to do this for is around 12 weeks.
Old 15-03-2020, 20:54   #580
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I'm sure the thread could do without the excitement of the different between tell and ask.
Old 15-03-2020, 20:56   #581
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

A Public Health England document has revealed the UK coronavirus crisis is to last until spring 2021 and could see 7.9m hospitalised.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other
Old 15-03-2020, 21:07   #582
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
A Public Health England document has revealed the UK coronavirus crisis is to last until spring 2021 and could see 7.9m hospitalised.

Wow. Are you now self isolating Den?
Old 15-03-2020, 21:09   #583
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

You have to laugh at the replacement for the news of the world.....
Old 15-03-2020, 21:15   #584
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Wow. Are you now self isolating Den?
Given my underlying medical conditions and being only a few years from 60 l have for the last week self isolated and given the scenario's being talked about in government l will be doing it for a long period yet.

My parents are aged 70 plus and talking to them on the phone they know that a long period of self isolation for them both is inevitable now.

Their words were to me we will cope as many had to cope with 2 world wars and their sacrifices that were made there.
Old 15-03-2020, 21:42   #585
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
If you are young and in good health and have nothing to do for two weeks. I recommend you go snog someone with the virus now. In a month you will be able to walk through the hellish landscape with immunity like superman. You can earn a hell of an overtime salary.
apparently people in china who had originally contracted the illness and recovered have now got the illness again but didnt spread it the second time but still felt ill. So it doesnt look likethey become immune
Closed Thread