Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 15-03-2020, 18:51   #556
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It’s not going to be enforced, it is asking over 70’s for their own good.
I took the use of the word 'instructed' to mean that over 70's won't have a choice, but that's only what Robert Peston has relayed ie nothing official has been announced by the government.

I wonder why the govt is relaying via the media; why not make a Prime Ministerial announcement directly to the nation? I'm sure it will happen at some stage.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Queen spoke to the nation (she might have even pre recorded this prior to her going into quarantine).

A request from the PM & the Queen might also be enough to make the majority of the over 70's compliant.

If the over 70's choose to disobey this request or instruction, will the government get heavy handed with them? The Conservative party rely on the grey vote and so they won't want to alienate them.

On the other hand, if they end up losing their life through going outside, It's a cold heartless fact that the government will save a lot through reduced expenditure on pensions and future health costs from people that are likely to no longer be economically active. Are they really that bothered if such people become infected?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 15-03-2020 at 19:05.
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2020, 18:51   #557
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

people were fighting in my local Aldi this morning 5 mins after it opened stripping the shelves of all tinned goods except mushy peas.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:04   #558
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
According to a virologist statement I have been reading:

"Again, being infected does not mean you will die. Probably not, especially if you are not 40+ man with underlying medical condition!"

I hope she means "person" and that this is not a sexist virus.
It's more likely to effect men, apparently they think that this is because more men are likely to smoke and this helps Covid-19 finish them off through respiratory issues.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:04   #559
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
people were fighting in my local Aldi this morning 5 mins after it opened stripping the shelves of all tinned goods except mushy peas.
l saw the same type pictures from some other supermarkets as well as why can't they behave like civil human beings.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:09   #560
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l saw the same type pictures from some other supermarkets as well as why can't they behave like civil human beings.
The local paper showed many pictures of empty supermarket shelves prompting panic buying they neglected to point out it was only toilet paper and hand sanitizer that was in short supply ,maybe the government should get the press under control,the papers are full of rubbish.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:19   #561
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Why toilet paper?

There's plenty of red tops on sale.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:20   #562
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Some supermarkets are just crap at stocking the shelves at the best of times. Go into my local ASDA on any given day and it's like being time warped back to the Soviet Union in the 1970s.

Fun fact for the loony stockpilers regarding pasta: With some basic culinary skills and a little elbow grease it's actually quite easy to make and it can be stored in something called a freezer for a couple of months or more.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:23   #563
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

You forget you're dealing with the woke generation. They have absolutely no idea how to do anything that isn't on facebook or instagram.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:25   #564
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Why toilet paper?

There's plenty of red tops on sale.
There's also no shortage of bars of soap what's the deal with hand sanitizer.
Old 15-03-2020, 19:36   #565
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I wonder how many people have died of the flu so far this winter? I'm guessing that it's in the thousands but no panic over that so far.......:/
Old 15-03-2020, 19:58   #566
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Hard to find figures for this year, but I did come across this for the previous 4 years ;

Quote:
Public Health England estimates that on average 17,000 people have died from the flu in England annually between 2014/15 and 2018/19.
However, the yearly deaths vary widely from a high of 28,330 in 2014/15 to a low of 1,692 in 2018/19.
Strangly, we did not see mass panic in those previous four years, esp in 2015 ....

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 15-03-2020, 20:03   #567
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

It's because those at risk of dying can receive a vaccination, to help stop them getting flu in the first place.

With this thing there is no vaccination yet, so the elderly/disabled/ill are at it's mercy.
Old 15-03-2020, 20:05   #568
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Hard to find figures for this year, but I did come across this for the previous 4 years ;

Strangly, we did not see mass panic in those previous four years, esp in 2015 ....
The mortality rate is judged to be more than 10 times the normal rate. Plus you have those that are severely affected but don't die.
Old 15-03-2020, 20:06   #569
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It's because those at risk of dying can receive a vaccination, to help stop them getting flu in the first place.

With this thing there is no vaccination yet, so the elderly/disabled/ill are at it's mercy.
The vaccination that you speak of is minimally effective but I suppose that it makes people feel better. I get many a patient who says "I won't get the flu as I've been vaccinated"

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Indeed......
Old 15-03-2020, 20:19   #570
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Its not as effective as you seem to think. My Mum was vaccinated, but still got the flu anyway (fortunately, not a serious case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The mortality rate is judged to be more than 10 times the normal rate. Plus you have those that are severely affected but don't die.
While its probably higher than flu, the actual rate is just a guess atm, since they have no idea how many mild cases go unreported, and therefore not counted.

Baby, I was born this way.
Closed Thread