Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2020, 18:27   #1486
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,099
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: Coronavirus

In Scotland the Chief Medical Officer hinted at the current restrictions being in place for 13 weeks.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2020, 19:32   #1487
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Ultimate oomph; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 10,702
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Already happening in italy after 4 weeks lockdown

https://en.as.com/en/2020/03/29/othe...24_787653.html
Things are returning to normal in Wuhan. I think this could go on here for up to 3 months, but I would not have thought it would be necessary beyond that.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 20:01   #1488
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,099
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Things are returning to normal in Wuhan. I think this could go on here for up to 3 months, but I would not have thought it would be necessary beyond that.
Except of course China did everything to bring it under control once they realised the scale of what they were dealing with.

Track, trace, isolate.

It will take us longer because we didn't conform to the consensus of the global scientific community fast enough, haven't done any meaningful testing in the context of above and allowed large gatherings to continue far longer than they ought to have. Indeed on that last point it was only when the Arsenal manager caught it that we suspended Premiership games and other sports followed suit.

We have almost nothing in common with the response in Wuhan (once China acknowledged the scale of the problem).

And of course regardless of what's going on anywhere any decisions should be based on the body count here.

I bet this didn't happen in Wuhan:

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/...sXFQkBICqCTiUk

Last edited by jfman; 29-03-2020 at 20:04.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 20:40   #1489
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
Posts: 5,829
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

China WAS criticised for it's tactics of severe lockdown.
Link
Quote:
The ruling Communist Party drew heavy criticism at first for its approach, which many both domestically and abroad saw as heavy-handed, even draconian. But in recent weeks, the party has aggressively promoted its strategy as a model for other countries.
Link

Quote:
As the U.S. and other countries imposed travel restrictions, even the World Health Organization questioned whether they were a good idea. But early evidence is causing some disease fighters to reconsider.
South Korea
Quote:
This includes enforcing a law that grants the government wide authority to access data: CCTV footage, GPS tracking data from phones and cars, credit card transactions, immigration entry information, and other personal details of people confirmed to have an infectious disease. The authorities can then make some of this public, so anyone who may have been exposed can get themselves - or their friends and family members - tested.
Of course that misses out strangers passing one another on the street.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 20:49   #1490
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,099
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
China WAS criticised for it's tactics of severe lockdown.
Link

Link


South Korea
Of course that misses out strangers passing one another on the street.
As I said.

"Did everything they could to bring it under control once they realised the scale of what they were dealing with".

Being criticised as "too draconian" is hardly a valid criticism.

As for your criticism of South Korea you are, not for the first time in this thread, lacking insight into the bigger picture.

Just because you could pass someone in the street doesn't mean there isn't value in identifying everyone else you had contact with.

When that "person on the street" comes forward you conduct similar contact tracing. Eventually you have identified almost everyone at risk. Because you are considering things at a 'micro' level and ignoring the bigger picture you somehow claim this has equal value as not tracing at all. Demonstrably false in any pandemic event.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 21:00   #1491
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
Posts: 5,829
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
As I said.

"Did everything they could to bring it under control once they realised the scale of what they were dealing with".

Being criticised as "too draconian" is hardly a valid criticism.

As for your criticism of South Korea you are, not for the first time in this thread, lacking insight into the bigger picture.

Just because you could pass someone in the street doesn't mean there isn't value in identifying everyone else you had contact with.

When that "person on the street" comes forward you conduct similar contact tracing. Eventually you have identified almost everyone at risk. Because you are considering things at a 'micro' level and ignoring the bigger picture you somehow claim this has equal value as not tracing at all. Demonstrably false in any pandemic event.
Where have I criticised South Korea? I just pointed out the policies that wouldn't allowed in the West, weren't necessarily a complete solution.

By criticising China for it's lockdown, they were saying a lockdown shouldn't have happened. The scientific evidence didn't support a lockdown.
Quote:
In conclusion there is limited data indicating that mass gatherings are associated with influenza transmission and this theme is continued with the inclusion of new evidence for the update. Certain unique events such as the Hajj, specialised settings including civilian and military ships- a new theme for this update, indoor venues and crowded outdoor venues provide the primary evidence base to suggest mass gatherings can be associated with Influenza outbreaks. Some evidence suggests that restricting mass gatherings together with other social distancing measures may help to reduce transmission. However, the evidence is still not strong enough to warrant advocating legislated restrictions. Therefore, in a pandemic situation a cautious policy of voluntary avoidance of mass gatherings would is still the most prudent message. Operational considerations including practical implications of policy directed at restricting mass gathering events should be carefully considered.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 21:03   #1492
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,099
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: Coronavirus

I think given the proportion of the planet under lockdown scientific analysis has moved on somewhat than that advice.

Policies like those implemented in South Korea could be implemented by anyone who legislated for it - that's the purpose of Government.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 21:05   #1493
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,789
Arthurgray50@blu has disabled reputation
Re: Coronavirus

I have several points to make on this issue.

We know that we have a partial lockdown. Its not a total lockdown yet.

But, if we had only listed to the PM before and didn't defy what he said about social distance. We would NOT be in this predicament.

From the off we had panic buying, which was stupid.
We then had loads of people defying the order of social distance. And jammed trains, and had barbeques. And now the government has said that this could last for months.

I certainly hope not, many businesses will go bust. And that is a genuine problem.

And before members saying that shopkeepers can claim a certain amount of money in JUNE. Too late by then.

I know of small businesses have laid off staff, and closed down.

Local garages have closed down, as most of the work comes from MOTs.

If you follow advice on Sky ( l don't know the link for computers) there is a video by Kate Winslet, on washing your hands. Watch it and follow what she says.

MPs have not even told you what washing hands can do with the germs.

I also heard that if we get strong sunny weather. This will kill the bug.

I think that by the mid April, we should be getting back to normal - I sincerely hope so
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 21:12   #1494
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,789
Arthurgray50@blu has disabled reputation
COVID 19 Question

I am not a medical person.

But l would like to know how they create a vaccine to destroy the latest virus outbreak.

And if so, if penicillin works on various bugs. Why cant the present anti biotics work on Covid 19
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 21:29   #1495
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 32,921
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Really no need for a new thread to ask questions about coronavirus Arthur.

Merged.


---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

However, to answer your question: antibiotics kill bacteria but they have no effect on viruses.

To make a vaccine, you have to find a way of triggering the human immune system to create antibodies that will destroy the virus. A vaccine effectively prompts the body to protect itself.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 21:40   #1496
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,772
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coronavirus

As Parliament has closed for a month, is it now proroged? Will he have had to speak to the Queen about it again?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 21:45   #1497
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 32,921
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

No. Parliament rises for recess at Easter every year. They’ve just agreed to rise earlier and for longer.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 22:14   #1498
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills
 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 8,366
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Except of course China did everything to bring it under control once they realised the scale of what they were dealing with.

Track, trace, isolate.
China being a quasi communist totalitarian state, where freedoms are not a right, but a gift of the state.

Socialism as it always ends, with less freedoms and state control.

But not compatible with our society.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 22:32   #1499
Mr K
Lefty Liberal Remoaner
 
Mr K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 6,264
Mr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze array
Mr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze arrayMr K has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
China being a quasi communist totalitarian state, where freedoms are not a right, but a gift of the state
Nobody is saying otherwise, but it has helped them to control the virus. It's why we in the West might struggle and we'd be foolish to think we'll be as successful at controlling it.

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

Anyway on the upside...

Last edited by Mr K; 29-03-2020 at 22:26.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 01:06   #1500
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (350 Mbps) : Vodafone BB (38 Mbps)
Posts: 23,303
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Coronavirus

jfman & Pierre, the next time I see either of you sniping at other members (inc each other) you will be removed from this topic.

---------- Post added at 01:06 ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Anyway on the upside...
Given that was on Jan 2nd, before any of this, what's your point ?
__________________

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (3 members and 2 guests)
heero_yuy, joglynne, denphone
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:09.


Server: curium.zmnt.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.