Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 13-04-2013, 13:40   #391
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Benefit Cap v No work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
ok yet another fine moment where I have to repeat myself

You can not do full time courses while on JSA . You can take part time or evening courses but these take a long time before you get any results.
So you want somebody ( taxpayer) to pay for a full time course, rather than have somebody pay or contribute to their own part time course?

So what if things take a long time?

Quote:
Bear in mind an educational year is 10 months ish so in my mind those who are unemployed with no real skills should be allowed 1 year in education or a practical course while still claiming a benefit.
There's many different types of courses of differing length available, from many providers. It doesn't have to be a year.

but i agree with you, job seekers should be allowed to undertake courses, as long as they pay back the costs for their tuition when they get a job, same as students.
Old 13-04-2013, 13:40   #392
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

So now Arthur suddenly agrees HMG needs to incentivise companies to do business here to create jobs, he won't keep whining about what they might do to achieve just that e.g. corporation tax cuts, reduced bureaucracy, simpler employment rules, etc...

Funny how 5 minutes ago he was arguing that mining uncompetitive coal is a good way to create jobs and that the unions of the 70's were a good thing...

Perhaps dear old Arthur might like to explain how private companies can enjoy a level playing field and create the jobs he wants when they're competing with heaviliy subsidised state controlled ones.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 13:43   #393
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
So you want somebody ( taxpayer) to pay for a full time course, rather than have somebody pay or contribute to their own part time course?
So what if things take a long time?

There's many different types of courses of differing length available, from many providers. It doesn't have to be a year.

but i agree with you, job seekers should be allowed to undertake courses, as long as they pay back the costs for their tuition when they get a job, same as students.
if it actually helps people into decent jobs with prospects why not ? in the end its got to be good isn't it? and if it worked then these who did well would have decent jobs possibly a career and then of course they would be paying taxes instead of spending taxes
Old 13-04-2013, 15:01   #394
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My son (on ESA) has just been passed from one "course provider" to another (after taking a fee I suspect). He was given 8 weeks to complete the PC-based course with no support apart from being told which PC he should use.

He completed the course and got 100% in the final "exam" in less than 12 hours in the first week. He was told his results will be passed to the JC after the eight week period has passed.

In the meantime he was told to "go out and enjoy yourself" when what he actually wants is to get qualifications that count and get a job.

So he goes to the JC and the central library every weekday, both looking for employment and studying the only type of work he is probably suited to. A full 6 hours each day. He says that he has learned more in his own self-study time than on any course (school or college) that he has ever done.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 15:12   #395
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
My son (on ESA) has just been passed from one "course provider" to another (after taking a fee I suspect). He was given 8 weeks to complete the PC-based course with no support apart from being told which PC he should use.

He completed the course and got 100% in the final "exam" in less than 12 hours in the first week. He was told his results will be passed to the JC after the eight week period has passed.

In the meantime he was told to "go out and enjoy yourself" when what he actually wants is to get qualifications that count and get a job.

So he goes to the JC and the central library every weekday, both looking for employment and studying the only type of work he is probably suited to. A full 6 hours each day. He says that he has learned more in his own self-study time than on any course (school or college) that he has ever done.
I would like to try some courses being in the support group ESA, but I'm just worried to 'rock the boat' so to speak. Also I know full well that I don't think I'll be considering any employment in the near (and far) future. It would have to be home based though if that's doable and it'll be just for my own gain.

So I would effectively be wasting tax payers money which also doesn't sit too well with me so basically I can't win either way.
Old 13-04-2013, 15:54   #396
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I would like to try some courses being in the support group ESA, but I'm just worried to 'rock the boat' so to speak.
Have a word with your local JC DEA (Disabled Employment Advisor). Ours is a lovely person who really does seem interested in helping instead of just meeting targets.
Old 13-04-2013, 16:03   #397
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I have a just watched a programme on www.itn.co.uk concerning the new welfare caps that are starting in Haringey, On Monday.
I think this was the benefits cap of £500. and that woman was crying because she's set to lose £40 per week.
it wasn't really clear.

but £500 per week.
that's a lot of money if you're working.

but I am really fed up with hearing Dave and his fellow nutters constantly repeating that it pays to work. and how they come across that every single person on benefits doesn't want to work. *can* get a job tomorrow. and are scroungers.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 17:06   #398
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Doesn't matter one little bit, how many suitable jobs do or don't exist, over £500 a week in benefits for somebody with just 2(ie not 8 or more) children is ridiculous and wrong.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 17:15   #399
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Doesn't matter one little bit, how many suitable jobs do or don't exist
What doesn't matter?

Quote:
over £500 a week in benefits for somebody with just 2(ie not 8 or more) children is ridiculous and wrong.
It is.
Old 13-04-2013, 17:33   #400
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
What doesn't matter?

It is.
It in the context of somebody with 2 kids receiving over £500/wk in benefits it doesn't matter. Or are you are saying that as long as there are unemployed, people should be receiving that amount in benefits.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 17:37   #401
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I would like to try some courses being in the support group ESA, but I'm just worried to 'rock the boat' so to speak. Also I know full well that I don't think I'll be considering any employment in the near (and far) future. It would have to be home based though if that's doable and it'll be just for my own gain.

So I would effectively be wasting tax payers money which also doesn't sit too well with me so basically I can't win either way.

I am on about the claimant actually choosing the course at a collage or similar
Old 13-04-2013, 18:53   #402
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
It in the context of somebody with 2 kids receiving over £500/wk in benefits it doesn't matter.
I wasn't sure whether you were talking about the jobs not mattering for everybody on benefits.

Quote:
Or are you are saying that as long as there are unemployed, people should be receiving that amount in benefits.
I've always been against somebody receiving that amount of money on benefits.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

There's an anti Maggie protest building up in Trafalgar Square.

3.000 now. it was only 250 not too long ago.

Supposed to be Millwall fans heading there. as well as the EDL.

Not looking good.
Old 13-04-2013, 20:40   #403
Taf
cf.mega poster

It'll enter Camorons's mind at some point that those on the capped level of benefits should pay the same bills as those in work at that level of income. Byebye help with the rent and poll tax.
Old 13-04-2013, 20:46   #404
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Who's paying poll tax?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 20:50   #405
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
I am on about the claimant actually choosing the course at a collage or similar
As I said, if they pay it back, like a student loan.............great idea.