Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 16-03-2020, 09:37   #601
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

The governments approach is interesting politically. If the UK followed other similar countries with lockdowns, etc. then I don't think most people would blame the government if things did go pear shaped as the approach seems sensible on the face of things. However, the government seems to be going a different way from our peers with this 'soft start' approach to things. If the infection and mortality rates do drop below those of our peers, then that's great news. However, if things get worse than our peers, the government will be seen to be directly to blame for this.

Politically, this seems a bit of a risky gamble. Of course a five year cushion before the next election softens the risk
Advertisement
Old 16-03-2020, 09:45   #602
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That's, of course, an opinion. Efforts in China and South Korea indicate otherwise. The rest of the world, including the United States, is at least trying.

---------- Post added at 07:42 ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 ----------

Little wonder. It's been fairly embarrassing to date.

That said, standing there every single day saying we aren't trying and we aren't counting won't last long. The public expects the state to protect it.
You have no medical or sufficient medical qualifications, so your opinion is irrelevant.

Yes, as for demanding protection in the form of quarantine, when it is the RIGHT time to do so as already adequately explained to you. So stop it with your incessant whinging, I have seen enough.

The only embarrassing thing, is you trying to mock professional intelligent experts with a Degree or two to their name.
Old 16-03-2020, 09:53   #603
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l think this is a good idea and hopefully the UK supermarkets will follow.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/15/coron...ning-12402597/
Old 16-03-2020, 09:56   #604
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
You have no medical or sufficient medical qualifications, so your opinion is irrelevant.

Yes, as for demanding protection in the form of quarantine, when it is the RIGHT time to do so as already adequately explained to you. So stop it with your incessant whinging, I have seen enough.

The only embarrassing thing, is you trying to mock professional intelligent experts with a Degree or two to their name.
There are similarly well educated scientists of the opposite opinion, including from Harvard and to the advisers to governments around the world so I fail to see why that's relevant.

You equally have no such qualifications.

The only person mocking here is you mocking me in this thread for having the audacity to believe the UK government could be wrong.

Singapore have just banned travel from the UK as a result of us making no efforts to contain the virus. It's only a matter of time before we are Italy - a fact acknowledged by your experts.
Old 16-03-2020, 10:00   #605
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I think you need to look at population dynamics and so forth to see the best means to legislate. How we tend to live and relate is different to Italy, France, Korea etc. How we respond to authority is also different.
Old 16-03-2020, 10:08   #606
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

What age is elderly 50+ 60+--70+

---------- Post added at 10:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

Just been to the post office people are standing about 6 feet apart in the queue,so the advise is getting through.
Old 16-03-2020, 10:09   #607
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
What age is elderly 50+ 60+--70+
Elderly people are classed as over 70's.
Old 16-03-2020, 10:13   #608
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
There are similarly well educated scientists of the opposite opinion, including from Harvard and to the advisers to governments around the world so I fail to see why that's relevant.

You equally have no such qualifications.

The only person mocking here is you mocking me in this thread for having the audacity to believe the UK government could be wrong.

Singapore have just banned travel from the UK as a result of us making no efforts to contain the virus. It's only a matter of time before we are Italy - a fact acknowledged by your experts.
That’s it. You are now banned (quarantined) from this thread. Sick of your pathetic repetitive nonsense and FYI I do have healthcare qualifications, that are required for the health and social care work I have done for over 25 years. I trust the science and experts. This has absolutely nothing to do with which side of the political fence I reside on.
Old 16-03-2020, 10:17   #609
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

With all this panic buying of pasta why are all the pasta sauce shelves still full?
Old 16-03-2020, 10:17   #610
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Elderly people are classed as over 70's.
My kids told me i would have to self isolate for 16 weeks co's i'm old, i'm 63 ,they also told their mum the same she's 51 she was not impressed [and that's putting it mildly]
Old 16-03-2020, 10:24   #611
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
With all this panic buying of pasta why are all the pasta sauce shelves still full?
Strange that there are plenty of pasta sauces unless many make their own but personally l doubt many do pip.

My cousin went in Sainsbury's this morning and there was no pasta , no eggs and a few other things but most of our grocery list they still had in stock.
Old 16-03-2020, 10:34   #612
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:

The time of day might be a bit off, as the free travel with elderly and disabled bus passes doesn't start until 9:30am. An added danger is they will be travelling at the same times as loads of other people at that time in the morning.
Old 16-03-2020, 10:36   #613
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The time of day might be a bit off, as the free travel with elderly and disabled bus passes doesn't start until 9:30am. An added danger is they will be travelling at the same times as loads of other people at that time in the morning.
Surely given the situation that time limit can be temporarily suspended.
Old 16-03-2020, 10:48   #614
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Surely given the situation that time limit can be temporarily suspended.
But have they? It's an automated checking system, although the driver could wave you through. Still leaves travelling on public transport at a peak time.
Old 16-03-2020, 12:03   #615
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
That’s it. You are now banned (quarantined) from this thread. Sick of your pathetic repetitive nonsense and FYI I do have healthcare qualifications, that are required for the health and social care work I have done for over 25 years. I trust the science and experts.
Because carers have their own lives to lead in the outside world, do you think there could be problems with them then going in to care for isolated people?

I have chosen one of my carers to live with me for the duration, but the four months quarantine is now being reported as possibly lasting a year!
Closed Thread