Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New channel on Freeview PSB3 multiplex, and you'll be surprised.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

New channel on Freeview PSB3 multiplex, and you'll be surprised.

Old 26-11-2019, 21:05   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
New channel on Freeview PSB3 multiplex, and you'll be surprised.

Well here's a change you'll never have predicted...
According to RXTVlog, religious channel TBN UK has said it is moving to the main Freeview HD multiplex PSB3, the one More4+1 just moved from.
https://twitter.com/RXTVlog/status/1199415207300386817

So much for the predicted CBeebiesHD/BBC4 HD. :-)
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-11-2019, 21:06   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: New channel on Freeview PSB3 multiplex, and you'll be surprised.

It’s a miracle!!!

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 21:24   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I just found a tweet from TBN UK about it.
https://twitter.com/TBNUKtv/status/1199009856897703936
Old 26-11-2019, 23:07   #4
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I just found a tweet from TBN UK about it.
https://twitter.com/TBNUKtv/status/1199009856897703936
I'm confused... how are they planning to reach more households (as stated in tweet) by cutting off all the viewers without Freeview HD/smart TVs? Even TVs sold just 4 years ago don't have Freeview HD capability and set-top boxes with Freeview HD are quite expensive... I imagine Freeview SD-only equipment still makes up a large portion of the total UK audience, no?

Last edited by RWCable; 26-11-2019 at 23:13.
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 23:45   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post
I'm confused... how are they planning to reach more households (as stated in tweet) by cutting off all the viewers without Freeview HD/smart TVs? Even TVs sold just 4 years ago don't have Freeview HD capability and set-top boxes with Freeview HD are quite expensive... I imagine Freeview SD-only equipment still makes up a large portion of the total UK audience, no?
Well the 3 PSB multiplexes have approx 98% population coverage as opposed to 90% on the multiplex it is currently on as the PSB multiplexes are available on Relay transmitters.

My theory is that the cost of staying on their current multiplex is too high so they are cutting costs. Because PSB3 requires HD equipment even for SD streams it is cheaper despite having larger coverage.

The temporary HD multiplexes, COM7 and COM8, which only have approx 30% population coverage, are likely to close in the next few years due to 5G being given spectrum so channels on them are trying to get onto more permanent multiplexes before this happens, so this will be raising the cost as demand increases, which probably is too much for TBN UK.

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

And for the last few years the only Freeview tuners in TVs and DTT boxes have been HD. They stopped allowing Freeview branding to be used on any non-HD boxes to encourage this.
Old 26-11-2019, 23:57   #6
RWCable
cf.member

That makes sense that they will technically reach more households with 98% coverage vs 90%.

I agree it's probably mainly for cost-cutting reasons as much of the programming on TBN isn't even HD. I have it on now and the current programme is 4:3 SD but with blurred bars on each side of the screen to fill 16:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
And for the last few years the only Freeview tuners in TVs and DTT boxes have been HD. They stopped allowing Freeview branding to be used on any non-HD boxes to encourage this.
I guess I got my TV just before that time... My Samsung TV from Jan 2015 has no Freeview HD tuner only SD. It is however 1080p capable via HDMI but I guess that capability doesn't imply any potential capability of displaying HD from terrestrial. I assume this because it has a picture-in-picture function for showing a small Freeview PiP when source is HDMI but not vice-versa, so it's like it's 2 different parts of the system.

Last edited by RWCable; 27-11-2019 at 00:11.
Old 27-11-2019, 00:19   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I guess I got my TV just before that time... My Samsung TV from Jan 2015 has no Freeview HD tuner only SD. It is however 1080p capable via HDMI but I guess that capability doesn't imply any potential capability of displaying HD from terrestrial. I assume this because it has a picture-in-picture function for showing a small Freeview PiP when source is HDMI but not vice-versa, so it's like it's 2 different parts of the system.
My old SD Freeview tuner TV had PiP in both directions but the replacement has no PiP at all, which is a shame, I kinda liked it, though didn't use it that often.
Old 27-11-2019, 23:06   #8
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

It just occurred to me, when I was reading something elsewhere, that the population coverage I gave for COM7/8, in a post above, was wrong. I should have said 70-75% coverage, the 30% number is (to my recollection) the power they are on. They are not on 100% power as it would interfere with other services, or something along those lines.

So sorry about that error.
Old 05-12-2019, 16:16   #9
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

TBN UK has moved to PSB3 today.

According to RXTVlog the old version will remain in place until "early 2020" on 794.
https://www.rxtvlog.com/p/freeview-updates.html

So this means whatever channel gets their old slot on COM5 won't have it over the holidays.

However, the old version of E4+1 (ch 793) has been removed today, also from COM5, so one channel might be able to take that space in time for the holidays.

---------- Post added at 15:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:14 ----------

Oh and I forgot. There's an new streaming channel for kids, aimed at the same demographic as CBBC I think, on 212 called Yaaas!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:26   #10
RWCable
cf.member

You beat me to it! I was going to post back here as I noticed last night TBN is still available on channel 65 in SD (with onscreen MHEG message)...

In the spirit of broadcasters transitioning to DVB-T2-only muxes, does this timetable (https://ukfree.tv/article/1107052554...from_2019_onwa) mean for certain that by 2023, most ITV, C4 and C5 stations will be unavailable via SD receivers and all commercial stations will be HD-only by 2026?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:21   #11
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
In the spirit of broadcasters transitioning to DVB-T2-only muxes, does this timetable (https://ukfree.tv/article/1107052554...from_2019_onwa) mean for certain that by 2023, most ITV, C4 and C5 stations will be unavailable via SD receivers and all commercial stations will be HD-only by 2026?
No.

Nobody has committed to anything. This is just a table of dates. Not sure where they are getting them from. I've read many (year) dates for Com7/8 closure and they don't agree and not one person can give a definitive source. They range from 2020 to 2024 for those two temporary multiplexes. They seem to be based on a guess based on 700Mhz/5G clearance data.

The article is imagining how things will work out by extrapolating information. It's nicely done, but it's mostly just opinion.

The BBC and ITV haven't got all their regional variations converted to HD. This requires equipment and studios across the country to be upgraded. They are only upgrading as money can be found or they were due to be replaced anyway. They are also wanting the penetration of HD Freeview equipment to hit a certain percentage before they set a date. That will take however long it takes the public to naturally renew their equipment. This is also the case with Digital Radio, and that isn't going to happen any time soon in that particular case.

COM4/5/6 will likely not think about switching until the Public Service Broadcasters have publicly commited to a timetable.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:45   #12
RWCable
cf.member

Ahhh I see... This is inferred from various related information and no sure definitives yet. Thank you for explaining. It will be interesting to see if/how any HD-only transition plays out. I can imagine there may be cases similar to C4 abandoning some HD services on Freesat.