Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media WiFi Hotspots. Improvement?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media WiFi Hotspots. Improvement?

Old 10-04-2018, 02:20   #16
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: Virgin Media WiFi Hotspots. Improvement?

This app never finds hotspots in my area?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2018, 10:11   #17
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
The Virgin Media app wont connect to the Virgin Media 'super'hub?
Correct even putting in the correct password as shown on the app it can't find it even though it is sitting less than 1ft away from me

Going by the app my street has lots of hotspots from houses but it will just not set up auto connect hotspots

I've had one thought may be nothing but when I last used the app it was before they switched on these hotspots from hubs and I connected it via hub 2 I now have the new hub which is what it can't seem to connect to could that be the reason for the issues? do I need to change something in the app?
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:20   #18
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

It's preference is to connect to your own shub. Switch that off and it will connect instead to your neighbours. I tried it a while back. It is also possible to get something like a Win 10 Laptop to also use the VM hotspots.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:28   #19
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Sorted it was the saved networks causing the issue
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 16:38   #20
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There are two parts to the current WiFi app

2. Allows management of a Hub 3.0 when you're connected at home
Christ, something was needed to avoid the web GUI on the Hub3!
Never seen anything else like it...

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:22   #21
braysoj1
cf.geek

Services: virgin media xl , freeview, sky
braysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to all

Can this work on pc
braysoj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:58   #22
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysoj1 View Post
Can this work on pc
This appears to be the solution. I've used it on my Win 10 laptop when my BB has gone down.
Link
Quote:
It's an enterprise wifi connection that requests an username and password...
To connect without the app,
1. Choose the WiFi network "Virgin Media"
2. Username is your VM account email, "vmedwifi/*YOUREMAIL*" eg. vmedwifi/myemail@yahoo.co.uk
3. Password is your VM account password
Old 05-02-2020, 10:16   #23
braysoj1
cf.geek

Services: virgin media xl , freeview, sky
braysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to all

tryed that not worked
braysoj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:27   #24
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Hadn't tried on my Laptop for a while, and it also doesn't work for me now.
Old 05-02-2020, 20:20   #25
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I'm prompted by the unexpected re-awakening of this thread.

Virgin Connect still doesn't work for me long after I first started this thread in 2018.

I had successfully set it up when I got my new phone in May last year. Not once, since then, did it connect to a Virgin hot spot. I really needed it in a tube station this week. The app has spontaneously become - no longer set up - and so failed to connect to Virgin's tube station system. What a waste of phone space and my time!

Anyway, with an unlimited Oomph sim I mostly don't need it. Generally where there are VM hot spots there is 4G - except, of course, in tube stations! Grrr
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 15:22   #26
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I'm prompted by the unexpected re-awakening of this thread.

Virgin Connect still doesn't work for me long after I first started this thread in 2018.

I had successfully set it up when I got my new phone in May last year. Not once, since then, did it connect to a Virgin hot spot. I really needed it in a tube station this week. The app has spontaneously become - no longer set up - and so failed to connect to Virgin's tube station system. What a waste of phone space and my time!

Anyway, with an unlimited Oomph sim I mostly don't need it. Generally where there are VM hot spots there is 4G - except, of course, in tube stations! Grrr
Connect used to work on my old Moto G4 when it felt like it. Got new Moto G7 last year and not once has it connected.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 18:29   #27
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Probably is a way to do it as before. Unless an update to the shub has a non-standard way with dealing with hotspots, the underlying mechanism must be the same as an existing standard mechanism. When I tried using a hotspot on a VM SIM phone without using the app, it asked for the "hidden identity" as well as the standard "identity" and "password".