Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 18-01-2019, 06:33   #121
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
I've been doing lots of Netflix on my v6.
I would love Amazon just to save me having to put the Xbox on.
Any word on if or when
Not one iota.
Old 18-01-2019, 09:56   #122
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
I've been doing lots of Netflix on my v6.
I would love Amazon just to save me having to put the Xbox on.
Any word on if or when
No, but now that BT has it, Sky is bound to follow, and VM would not wish to fall behind in this area. My fingers are crossed for later this year, but as Den says, nothing official has come from VM or Amazon, and there are not even reports of rumours that they are in discussions.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 22:23   #123
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, but now that BT has it, Sky is bound to follow, and VM would not wish to fall behind in this area. My fingers are crossed for later this year, but as Den says, nothing official has come from VM or Amazon, and there are not even reports of rumours that they are in discussions.
Its odd you'd think amazon would be creating the app for tivo/sky Q to try and get more customers subscribed etc and that these companies would be happy to get the app from amazon as you're tying them more to their service by offering a variety of "smart tv" apps.

Its odd how its taking so long
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 22:45   #124
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Its odd you'd think amazon would be creating the app for tivo/sky Q to try and get more customers subscribed etc and that these companies would be happy to get the app from amazon as you're tying them more to their service by offering a variety of "smart tv" apps.

Its taking so long because Virgin and Amazon have not advanced from any talks they did possibly have.
Old 18-01-2019, 23:00   #125
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/422...pt?part=single

November 8, 2018

Mike Fries -

On the OTT point, listen, I think we, like everybody, are evaluating both the quantity and quality of OTT services that are out there in each of the markets. In Netflix, YouTube, they sort of stand apart in terms of over the top video platforms. They have great prominence in our networks and great prominence on our boxes and they will continue to. We continue to talk to Amazon, also as a potential app in our environment. You should expect that, that's a normal conversation for us to have. In other apps, that look to have traction, we'll also consider whether they make sense or not.

But we have the luxury of picking winners. I'll go back to what I said many times, which is we believe that being an aggregator of both linear on-demand and over-the-top content for consumers with devices that are slick, easy-to-use, fast, powerful and work across multiple platforms, TVs, mobile devices, iPad, that's a great place for us. And with a with a video base that's growing in the U.K., for example, not shrinking, with increased investment in our video platform, in terms of V6 boxes rolling out and ultimately the Horizon 4 UI rolling out in the U.K., we are in a great position to not just retain customers consumers but be the go-to platform for their video consumption both in the home and out of the home.
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 10:41   #126
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I thought the app for Amazon Prime had already been created and tested some time ago and hence its non-appearance on Virgin Media could only be entirely contractual.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 15:54   #127
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I thought the app for Amazon Prime had already been created and tested some time ago and hence its non-appearance on Virgin Media could only be entirely contractual.
The word on the street was that Virgin were up for it but Liberty Global put a stop to it as Amazon was a retail company. I think we should be grateful to BT for showing the way - I would be very surprised if Liberty Global and Virgin Media did not reassess their position in the light of this and the fact that Sky have also recently added Netflix to Sky Q.

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post

I think Amazon wants to have Prime added to as many platforms as possible, so I don't think they are the problem here.

ADDENDUM

This probably explains a bit more about why Liberty Global saw Prime as a threat. It looks like it was the additional channels on Amazon which spooked them and persuaded VM that Prime was actually a threat to their business.

BT would have seen this differently as most of their channel offerings are Freeview.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...-sky-smart-tv/

Last edited by OLD BOY; 19-01-2019 at 16:15.
Old 19-01-2019, 18:07   #128
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Did you actually read that article, OB?

"Amazon has turned to broadcast technology after its attempts to convert its subscription streaming service Prime Video into a viable alternative to satellite or cable pay-TV fell flat."
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 18:25   #129
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

"Amazon has turned to broadcast technology after its attempts to convert its subscription streaming service Prime Video into a viable alternative to satellite or cable pay-TV fell flat."

He only seems to read articles that agree with his philosophy.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 11:33   #130
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

Yes, I did! The article confirmed that Amazon had been attempting to get its app on the Sky and VM platforms and failed, which we knew. However, I do think that both operators will have looked again at this with BT adding Prime to their offering.

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
He only seems to read articles that agree with his philosophy.
I haven't read any that support yours, old bean.
Old 20-01-2019, 19:19   #131
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Yes, I did! The article confirmed that Amazon had been attempting to get its app on the Sky and VM platforms and failed, which we knew. However, I do think that both operators will have looked again at this with BT adding Prime to their offering.

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

I haven't read any that support yours, old bean.
Boom boom......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 19:54   #132
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Boom boom......

I think that reply just proves my point.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 19:59   #133
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I think that reply just proves my point.

Nah, it doesn't, you read it wrong.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 22:21   #134
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I saw a tweet which gave the impression that there's a Eurosport Xtra on Amazon that is offering about 10 extra courts at the Australian Open tennis tournament. Can anyone confirm?

If they are offering this to Amazon's TV service I'm surprised a bigger provider don't have it already.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 01:51   #135
Richc1977
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, 200MB BB, Netflix UHD, Sky Go
Richc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to beholdRichc1977 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I saw a tweet which gave the impression that there's a Eurosport Xtra on Amazon that is offering about 10 extra courts at the Australian Open tennis tournament. Can anyone confirm?

If they are offering this to Amazon's TV service I'm surprised a bigger provider don't have it already.
It's Eurosport player. Its not included with prime. It's an add on so you pay a monthly fee of £6.99 on top of your prime sub. There's a Eurosport player promo at the moment where you get first 6 months for a penny a month

Last edited by Richc1977; 21-01-2019 at 01:55.
Richc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote