Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 22-05-2019, 12:01   #871
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think it is about time that Virgin introduced a new skinny package without penalty in these areas. I would happily pay for Sky One, Sky Witness, Sky Arts, Universal and Fox, but I don't want the other junk apart from factual channels Discovery, National Geographic, Smithsonian and Love Nature. An important consideration is to get all my services on one box with the best picture and sound quality as cheaply as possible.
That's what Virgin have done recently:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bun...ayer-and-picks
Old 22-05-2019, 12:44   #872
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's what Virgin have done recently:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bun...ayer-and-picks
Yes, we are part way there. But with those options, you miss out on HD and the UHD channels, don't you, as well as the Virgin Exclusives.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 13:05   #873
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Pretty sure you get the HD versions in those packs.

UHD and Exclusives are still Full House only as far as I know.
Old 22-05-2019, 13:07   #874
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Pretty sure you get the HD versions in those packs.

UHD and Exclusives are still Full House only.
The table on that link you gave has the Sky Basics in HD only on Full House & up.

Though that table only shows Player+Drama and not any of the other combos between Player and (new)Full House, so it's not super useful.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 22-05-2019 at 13:15.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 14:49   #875
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Universal is still on Catch up.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

We was only told rumour this morning.
Just checked and I have (limited) catch up back too.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

[QUOTE=Media Boy;35995300]Media Boy EXCLUSIVE: New Pay Per Night Adult HD Station testing on Virgin Media UK.

An new Pay Per Night Channel called Pure Babes HD is soon to launch on Virgin Media UK.

Pure Babes HD will appear on Virgin UK Channel 977 or Virgin UK Channel 982.

©copyright 2019 Media Boy 2006 - 2019. An ''Keep it real and free'' Production.

A new channel called 'Meet the Babes' has appeared today on channel 982. Is this the same channel with a slightly different name?

Edit: ozsat has now confirmed that they are two separate channels, with Pure Babes HD being a PPV channel on channel 983.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Sky Atlantic arriving soon, now that Game of Thrones has finished?
Could well be. It looks like Sky are expecting a lot of churn or think that Sky Atlantic ratings will nosedive with GoT coming to an end.

Usually, those who cancel Now TV get offers to carry on subscribing, but recently they are now letting customers carry on viewing for nothing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew;c-93559456
I bought a two month Entertainment pass card from WH Smith for £10 to watch the final series of Game of Thrones. It expires at the end of the month, and when I went to cancel it I was offered three months free which I accepted. I was also offered two months free last summer during the World Cup which I was also happy to take up. I have never paid full price for the Entertainment pass.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 22-05-2019 at 16:16. Reason: Updated info. to answer my own question.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 15:40   #876
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Could well be. It looks like Sky are expecting a lot of churn or think that Sky Atlantic ratings will nosedive with GoT coming to an end.
Yes, and with increasing difficulty in finding new content from the US with the impending SVOD explosion, there's not much prospect of them finding a lot of decent content to fill its schedules.
Old 22-05-2019, 16:11   #877
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes, and with increasing difficulty in finding new content from the US with the impending SVOD explosion, there's not much prospect of them finding a lot of decent content to fill its schedules.
All the more reason to let VM and other platforms have it then, but I wonder how many will be that bothered now that GoT has finished??

It would still suit me though because I don't like GoT (I must be the only person in the country!) and only watch SA for Westworld.
Old 22-05-2019, 16:22   #878
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
NBC Universal will just distribute it's shows using Sky removing them from the likes of Netflix and Amazon when that problem arises , I'd imagine they'll also invest the money they are saving on more original content.

Last edited by muppetman11; 22-05-2019 at 16:29.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 16:47   #879
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
All the more reason to let VM and other platforms have it then, but I wonder how many will be that bothered now that GoT has finished??

It would still suit me though because I don't like GoT (I must be the only person in the country!) and only watch SA for Westworld.
Well Sky have long term deal with HBO and, I think, Showtime, for Sky to be the home of all new shows they produce. And Atlantic is where Sky have chosen to put the content from these deals, so there is long term reasons for people to want Atlantic.

And that will include the multiple spin-offs/prequels to GoT that are in development.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 17:38   #880
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Well Sky have long term deal with HBO and, I think, Showtime, for Sky to be the home of all new shows they produce. And Atlantic is where Sky have chosen to put the content from these deals, so there is long term reasons for people to want Atlantic.

And that will include the multiple spin-offs/prequels to GoT that are in development.
I never thought about any GoT spin offs. I suppose it makes sense given how popular it is.
Old 22-05-2019, 18:13   #881
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
NBC Universal will just distribute it's shows using Sky removing them from the likes of Netflix and Amazon when that problem arises , I'd imagine they'll also invest the money they are saving on more original content.
Old Boy conveniently forgets that in his proposed future everyone will have difficulty obtaining content because it’s going to be vertically integrated end to end. I don’t see why Comcast/Sky/NBC Universal are going to find that more challenging that Netflix or Amazon (or anyone to be honest).
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 19:01   #882
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Old Boy conveniently forgets that in his proposed future everyone will have difficulty obtaining content because it’s going to be vertically integrated end to end. I don’t see why Comcast/Sky/NBC Universal are going to find that more challenging that Netflix or Amazon (or anyone to be honest).
I have forgotten nothing, jfman. Each service will have a huge choice of good programmes covering all the genres. People will choose those that are most relevant to them, and from time to time they will change subscriptions.
Old 22-05-2019, 19:11   #883
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
There is not a chance of Comcast ditching the Sky brand as its one of the most trusted and popular in this country.
As well as its growing European presence, Sky also licences its brand globally too from Australia to India to Brazil. Wouldn't rule out the reverse happening and the brand appearing in the US.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 19:16   #884
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I have forgotten nothing, jfman. Each service will have a huge choice of good programmes covering all the genres. People will choose those that are most relevant to them, and from time to time they will change subscriptions.
Speculation at best.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 22:52   #885
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
It'll be interesting to see how Comcast and VM get on.

For those who like trivia, Comcast incorporates what was John Malone's cable co, TCI, which he originally sold to AT&T before Comcast took it on. Comcast and Malone have a good working relationship up to now, so lets see if that continues!

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

As I'm sure you're aware, the breakup of UKTV is imminent now (weeks, rather than months) so Discovery gets control of Home, Really and Good Food while the Beeb gets the rest, so I agree that changes with those channels seem likely.

I agree about your view on FOX and to add one of my own, I think we'll get all the major US networks soon. They'll already here, just under different names at the moment:

Sky One -> NBC
Ch5 -> CBS
FOX -> ABC
I think sky is a bigger name to most people in europe to be honest? channel 5 is bigger than the Columbia Broadcasting System in the UK. Also fox and ABC are of equal sized names here?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote