Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Star Trek: Discovery

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Star Trek: Discovery

Old 11-02-2019, 12:48   #316
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I've been loving the second season so far. Some big changes have started to take place and bring it more in line with TOS and other Trek series.

IE Ep 2 - New Eden felt like a very ToS story. Typical landing party trek ep.

Episode 4 - They were on their way to Spock and got trapped by an alien entity, as well as the spore MaySpore sub plot made it feel like a TNG episode.

They are also making attempts to close down the spore network and remove the Spore Drive as well as taking out the Holo comm system from Enterprise which will go back to ToS again.

I feel that the change to the Klingons has also been good, gicing them hair back and uniting the houses, creating proper classic Klingon ships(D7)

New Show runneres have clearly made huge changes to get back on track with fans,
Unless of course CBS decides to screw things up.

Quote:
CBS plans to saturate the market with ‘Star Trek’ – here’s why they shouldn’t.
https://filmdaily.co/news/cbs-plans-...ket-star-trek/
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2019, 12:59   #317
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

This is a really good summary of the current state of play around the reason for the differences between Discovery (and the recent films) and the older shows and films. However it's almost an hour long, so be prepared!
Quote:
Star Trek Discovery: The Prime Deception – CBS and Paramount Viacom Rights Explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojtX_Oz4WsU
Old 11-02-2019, 14:42   #318
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Unless of course CBS decides to screw things up.

https://filmdaily.co/news/cbs-plans-...ket-star-trek/
All the shows announced thus far do sound good. I am happy to see Trek back on screens though.

I think I did list all the shows in a previous post.

EDIT: I didn't must have been on another forum.

There is

The Picard Show
Adult animated show
Animated Short Treks
Section 31 show

They are the ones I know off the top of my head.

Last edited by Stephen; 11-02-2019 at 14:49.
Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 23:19   #319
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

This week’s Discovery featured a violation of the prime directive James T Kirk himself would have been proud of. Top viewing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 00:10   #320
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Well I think when it comes to a race or population being in trouble, then breaking the rules slightly is valid
Old 26-02-2019, 01:20   #321
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Picard would never have intervened in those circumstances. We’d have just got a long, impassioned speech about non-interference. Remember at the point they first decided to broadcast to the planet nobody was in danger. It was regime change on a global scale, because Pike decided he didn’t like the way they did things down there. Kirk would have done exactly the same.
Old 26-02-2019, 10:37   #322
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah, key things like the prime directive which we are all too familiar with and is establish lore are the kind of things which absolutely kill my realism factor. The same thing happened when they went down to that churchy planet a couple of weeks in search of the red angel. I am letting it go because of how early the series is set and the Federation are still finding their feet. It is missions like this which Starfleet will reflect on, decide whether it was the right of wrong thing to do and then come up with the rules and prime directive in the future.

Last weeks episode was my favourite so far this season. When I saw the short for it I was banging my head against the wall when Georgiou said to Saru "you can come with me but if you do we can never come back to this planet" and I was like "well you obviously will do". I am happy for the reason and justification for it. They went because of the red angel and even then they still tried to stick to the rules and avoid any interaction and changing the culture and it is Saru's medical condition which did that. I actually like the character he is turning in to. In season 1 he was a wet nelly and I thought it was a joke he was acting captain and Burnham as a crewman had to keep telling him what to do. Pike is my favourite character atm. I love how he has had the training and knows the rules but he leads less by rules and directives and more cowboyish and what he thinks is the best thing to do. It is like the best of both worlds.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 18:08   #323
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

They’re indicating the difference by referring to it as “General Order One” rather than the Prime Directive, as if the policy was re-stated and strengthened at some later date.

There’s a throwaway line somewhere in DS9 ... possibly in the 30th anniversary tribble episode, and possibly spoken by Dax ... which refers to the cavalier attitudes of ships captains in this era. I actually think they’re being rather more faithful to established Trek lore than it might first appear.

And since the show is now being run by people who actually understand what Star Trek is, I tend to put any glaring nonsense down to stuff bequeathed them by Fuller etc. which they’re still forced to work with.
Old 27-02-2019, 10:30   #324
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I tend to put any glaring nonsense down to stuff bequeathed them by Fuller etc. which they’re still forced to work with.
And he was forced into changes by the current Star Trek licence, same as the Kelvin timeline films were.
Old 27-02-2019, 18:25   #325
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
And since the show is now being run by people who actually understand what Star Trek is, I tend to put any glaring nonsense down to stuff bequeathed them by Fuller etc. which they’re still forced to work with.
I have to admit, while I like most of the characters in Discovery season 1, season 1 didn't feel much like Star Trek to me. They changed too much, particularly the Spore drive and the bald Klingons. The Spore drive would have been believable if, rather than pointing out how much faster it is than Warp, they explained why, in the existing series (TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager anyway), Starfleet would go back to the apparently inferior Warp technology.

it also lost the sense of fun that all the previous Star Trek series had.

Season 2 has bought the fun back, and at least attempted to explain why the spore drive isn't used in other series.

I am thankful, however, for Series 1 being the way it was. I enjoyed it, but had it had more of a sense of fun, I might not have looked at Seth McFarlane's series "The Orville", which I am thoroughly enjoying.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 18:42   #326
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Season 2 has bought the fun back, and at least attempted to explain why the spore drive isn't used in other series.
yup, and just like the changes with the Klingons and holographic displays, it all adds to my realism factor because if it doesn't make sense then I cant believe it is real and it spoils it for me.
Old 27-02-2019, 21:22   #327
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Season 3 confirmed

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/star...-season-3-news
Old 27-02-2019, 23:21   #328
General Maximus
Ran Away

nice, I like it when stuff like this happens because it lets them plan way in advance and gives them to time to write great stories and get everything moving in the background which they need to make it happen.
Old 01-03-2019, 18:12   #329
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I have to admit, while I like most of the characters in Discovery season 1, season 1 didn't feel much like Star Trek to me. They changed too much, particularly the Spore drive and the bald Klingons. The Spore drive would have been believable if, rather than pointing out how much faster it is than Warp, they explained why, in the existing series (TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager anyway), Starfleet would go back to the apparently inferior Warp technology.

it also lost the sense of fun that all the previous Star Trek series had.

I am thankful, however, for Series 1 being the way it was. I enjoyed it, but had it had more of a sense of fun, I might not have looked at Seth McFarlane's series "The Orville", which I am thoroughly enjoying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orville.jpg (66.1 KB, 87 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 15:29   #330
General Maximus
Ran Away

Half bad news although most of us knew about it anyway.

Quote:
Star Trek: Discovery is losing some key team members. Deadline reports Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijn are leaving the CBS All Access TV show ahead of season three.
I knew they were only supposed to be in it for one season but Anson Mount has proved to be very popular and I think some of us were hoping he would somehow find a way to stay on.