Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Worst thing you've done to a computer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment

Worst thing you've done to a computer

Old 04-09-2005, 14:48   #46
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Worst thing you've done to a computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham
Changing my mother board.

*WHY* this should stop Win 2k from booting and require practically a total re-install of everying I will *never* know...!!!
Different Chipset, IE different drivers in use, PC tries to start up with drivers for another motherboard, chipset says "WTF" and Windows Dies.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2005, 23:46   #47
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
Quote:
Changing my mother board.

*WHY* this should stop Win 2k from booting and require practically a total re-install of everying I will *never* know...!!!
Different Chipset, IE different drivers in use, PC tries to start up with drivers for another motherboard, chipset says "WTF" and Windows Dies.
In which case it *should* work in basic Safe Mode, shouldn't it?!

Did it? Did it hell!!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 21:25   #48
ellie
Inactive

Services: All except sky one :(
ellie has reached the bronze age
ellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze age

Well mine got covered with pink silly string a lil while ago ...never been the same since
ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 21:54   #49
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
In which case it *should* work in basic Safe Mode, shouldn't it?!
In theory, yes. In practice (as you found out), Windows often has a lot of trouble running if you change a motherboard without re-installing windows.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 21:58   #50
Marko Ramius
Inactive

Services: 152 Mbit with Tivo
Marko Ramius will become famous soon enoughMarko Ramius will become famous soon enoughMarko Ramius will become famous soon enough

Bored at work one morning, I was looking for things to tryout in the config.sys file of a very old Dell 386 (16MHz I think - cutting edge then!). Came across this file keyboard.sys, hmm, I wonder what that could do - entered DEVICE=KEYBOARD.SYS in the config.sys, re-booted and it trashed the hard drive. Spent the rest of the day rebuilding it.
Marko Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 20:20   #51
DieZel
Inactive

DieZel is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never messed up my software too badly (or at least not enough to be worth telling). However, when two of my friends and I found an old PC in the basement some years ago, we decided to open it and kill it. I'll just say that we opened the hard drive with a hammer and ruined all the slots with a scredriver.
DieZel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 20:34   #52
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

That must have been a good stress relieving experience.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 21:13   #53
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

I shall amend my worst thing I done to a pc.

This is what is left of a very unreliable Fujistu Siemens ScaleoT

I tried everything with this pc, in the end I bought a loverly laptop and sorted this thing out.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 21:15   #54
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Years ago, we had a network of RM machines with the printer in a distant room. If you were careless, then you could end up with each line of the print-out starting on a new page of fanfold paper. You'd go to the print room and there, on the floor, would be a 2 ft high stack of paper, with a single accusing line at the top of each otherwise blank page.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 21:17   #55
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Once at school we was bored and noticed the printer on the computer we was on, had one of those sheets of huge paper on it which connected to the next page.

We then printed down with homework in huge size font, after break time the teacher went back to a huge HUGE HUUGGEEE pile of paper printed on the floor.

To this day I have not been caught
Old 20-09-2005, 22:02   #56
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay

I rember from school copper networking (10Base-2) and you could remove one machine from the network and all would fail, oh so much fun...
Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:08   #57
daz300
Inactive

Services: walking speed BB and tivo
daz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to all

i put SDR memory in a DDR memory slot with a lot of pushing it when in then sat back to see the motherboard go bang and smoke come out of the case , 3 hours old and not even my pc . not so good .
daz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:10   #58
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz300
i put SDR memory in a DDR memory slot with a lot of pushing it when in then sat back to see the motherboard go bang and smoke come out of the case , 3 hours old and not even my pc . not so good .
How did you manage that its idiot proofish
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 22:12   #59
AndrewJ
Inactive

Spoke from the person who threw a processor across a room to break it even more, dropped a pc down the stairs.... oh the fun

/hides
Old 20-09-2005, 22:12   #60
daz300
Inactive

Services: walking speed BB and tivo
daz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to alldaz300 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky
How did you manage that its idiot proofish
not if you try hard .
daz300 is offline   Reply With Quote