Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 20-02-2021, 21:29   #136
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Yeah, full fibre is their term for FTTP. Idjits for clamouring to be able to call Fibre to the Cabinet and HFC "Fibre Broadband", now they have to use other terms to explain Fibre to people, and nobody knows the difference without doing some digging or seeing the headline speeds.

Once you see Openreach up poles or down ducts, it's usually 1-3 months before it gets enabled. The Openreach site will email you months after it's actually available for order, so just keep checking BT.com as that seems to be the first place that gets updated.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2021, 22:16   #137
gimpymoo
cf.addict

gimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Yeah, full fibre is their term for FTTP. Idjits for clamouring to be able to call Fibre to the Cabinet and HFC "Fibre Broadband", now they have to use other terms to explain Fibre to people, and nobody knows the difference without doing some digging or seeing the headline speeds.

Once you see Openreach up poles or down ducts, it's usually 1-3 months before it gets enabled. The Openreach site will email you months after it's actually available for order, so just keep checking BT.com as that seems to be the first place that gets updated.
Thanks. As you say, calling 80Mbps "fibre" was a joke.

They are now calling their own "fibre" HALF FIBRE essentially, idiots.

We get served via overhead cables around here, do they replace the cabling going from pole to house as people sign up or do they just put up new poles in advance?

Thanks.
gimpymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 00:36   #138
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpymoo View Post

We get served via overhead cables around here, do they replace the cabling going from pole to house as people sign up or do they just put up new poles in advance?
Up to 80Meg too. FTTC around here is good for 17 at best.

So around my way, each street has poles fed from a main pole at the bottom (it's lots of cul-de-sacs off a longer cul-de-sac), which in turn is fed from a duct on the longer road. When OR turned up, their contractor began by inspecting each duct. They did some minor roadworks to fix issues with collapsed ducts, and then pulled cables to each main duct and tied blue pull-rope to the base of each main pole.

Then a few weeks later (presumably once an entire areas digging and main cable pulling had been complete) Openreach turned up and began fitting football sized fibre distribution boxes to the main poles, pulled the fibre to it and then from there pulled some fibre to each pole that fed from that main pole. Wooden poles get a box up high where the fibre to your house is connected from, metal poles have that box internally fitted.

The obvious giveaways are:
  • Lots of white vans and blokes in holes
  • 'Leavings' around the duct access panels
  • roadworks.org or some similar site will have lots of BT related minor works listed all over your area
  • Poles will have yellow "fibre overhead" warning stickers when they are wired up.
  • Distribution poles will have a box on them that looks like an upside down black milk carton.

When you get FTTP, they'll run a brand new drop-cable from the pole to your house that uses a heavier gauge wire and remove the old line. It is only done when you sign up, as it's quite an involved process - especially now with social distancing making stuff more awkward for everyone involved. But the entire install can be done with one visit for the modern OR rollouts.
Old 21-02-2021, 03:17   #139
gimpymoo
cf.addict

gimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Up to 80Meg too. FTTC around here is good for 17 at best.

So around my way, each street has poles fed from a main pole at the bottom (it's lots of cul-de-sacs off a longer cul-de-sac), which in turn is fed from a duct on the longer road. When OR turned up, their contractor began by inspecting each duct. They did some minor roadworks to fix issues with collapsed ducts, and then pulled cables to each main duct and tied blue pull-rope to the base of each main pole.

Then a few weeks later (presumably once an entire areas digging and main cable pulling had been complete) Openreach turned up and began fitting football sized fibre distribution boxes to the main poles, pulled the fibre to it and then from there pulled some fibre to each pole that fed from that main pole. Wooden poles get a box up high where the fibre to your house is connected from, metal poles have that box internally fitted.

The obvious giveaways are:
  • Lots of white vans and blokes in holes
  • 'Leavings' around the duct access panels
  • roadworks.org or some similar site will have lots of BT related minor works listed all over your area
  • Poles will have yellow "fibre overhead" warning stickers when they are wired up.
  • Distribution poles will have a box on them that looks like an upside down black milk carton.

When you get FTTP, they'll run a brand new drop-cable from the pole to your house that uses a heavier gauge wire and remove the old line. It is only done when you sign up, as it's quite an involved process - especially now with social distancing making stuff more awkward for everyone involved. But the entire install can be done with one visit for the modern OR rollouts.
Some great info, thank you.
gimpymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 00:06   #140
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpymoo View Post
Thanks. As you say, calling 80Mbps "fibre" was a joke.
I mean, this comes back on Virgin really, as back in the days of ADSL they decided to call DOCSIS "fibre" and the ASA let them get away with it as it was "predominantly fibre", then when BT deployed FTTC they were like "I guess we can call this fibre now eh?" and the ASA couldn't really say no.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 10:56   #141
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
I mean, this comes back on Virgin really, as back in the days of ADSL they decided to call DOCSIS "fibre" and the ASA let them get away with it as it was "predominantly fibre"
On the other hand, the ASA banned VM from calling 128kbps "broadband" even though it blatantly was.

I remember using 19.2kbps fibre links back in the 80s.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 11:01   #142
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
On the other hand, the ASA banned VM from calling 128kbps "broadband" even though it blatantly was.

I remember using 19.2kbps fibre links back in the 80s.
If 128k was "broadband" then so was BT Home Highway, ISDN2, 128k in each direction.
Old 22-02-2021, 13:58   #143
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If 128k was "broadband" then so was BT Home Highway, ISDN2, 128k in each direction.
I had that from NTL. 128k ISDN box at home for dial up internet and point to point access for sending graphics files to repro houses. Cost a fortune.
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 14:16   #144
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
It wasn't purely for that reason. When BB was in its infancy and NTL wanted to offer a new budget tier below what was their standard 512k they tried 128k. At the time it was a massive step up from 56k because back then literally everyone was on dialup unless you were on NTL 512k. The regulators said 128k wasn't classed as broadband and needed to be faster so NTL made it 150k
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 16:18   #145
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
It wasn't purely for that reason. When BB was in its infancy and NTL wanted to offer a new budget tier below what was their standard 512k they tried 128k. At the time it was a massive step up from 56k because back then literally everyone was on dialup unless you were on NTL 512k. The regulators said 128k wasn't classed as broadband and needed to be faster so NTL made it 150k
I don't know about literally everyone being on dialup, I was on Home Highway!!

Call charges were horrible as you could use 1 line at 64k on various unlimited services but getting both lines working for 128k pretty much required paying per minute.
Old 22-02-2021, 19:41   #146
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Oh wow, BT ISDN, I had fogotten all about that.

I had that installed by my work in the period sometime before I finally got Diamond cable.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 20:54   #147
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Quote:
I don't know about literally everyone being on dialup, I was on Home Highway!!

Call charges were horrible as you could use 1 line at 64k on various unlimited services but getting both lines working for 128k pretty much required paying per minute.
They couldn’t get Home Highway to work for me so I had to pay for full ISDN - that wasn’t cheap. I then moved and where I moved from got 512k broadband, where I moved to didn’t so I still had to pay through the nose for much slower speeds.
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 21:01   #148
Skie
a giant headend

Ahh yes ISDN - It Still Does Nothing.
Old 22-02-2021, 21:39   #149
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Back in the day when it was ok to speculatively register domain names I used to own BTISDN.com. Not one of my better 'investments' as BT never did come knocking
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 22:18   #150
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Back in the day when it was ok to speculatively register domain names I used to own BTISDN.com. Not one of my better 'investments' as BT never did come knocking
The speed they work at I’d expect the knock sometime next week....
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote