Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Uber licence revoked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Uber licence revoked

Old 20-02-2021, 11:17   #76
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Uber licence revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Serves Uber right. There is a massive Silicon Valley arrogance that laws and taxes apply to other people and not them. They use technologies to centralise as much of the profit as possible to only a few hands whilst destroying countless other companies in their wake. They undercut everyone because they are willing to operate at a loss to dominate the market, they avoid paying tax and they exploit people.
Do/have you used their service?
Old 20-02-2021, 11:26   #77
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I wouldn’t have expected anything else from you, jfman. A complete disregard for those people who have a brain and deliberately choose to earn their living on a flexible basis.

I don’t care what trade unions think. I prefer to listen to what those affected by their decisions think.

I know that is unthinkable to guys like you, who are irreversibly politically indoctrinated. So your reply is already anticipated. And by the way, I disagree. Response unnecessary. Good night.
This isn't about trade unions, Old Boy. This was a complaint raised by the Uber taxi drivers ie what "...those affected by their decisions think."

It's not beyond Uber to have a flexible working system that complies with the new ruling. Other taxi firms do.

The decision will mean more of a level playing field for small British taxi businesses. That can't be a bad thing and I speak as a pre-lockdown 1 Uber user. Uber brought innovation to the sector with their global app but that innovation can be disentangled from unfair competition and ripping contractors off.

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Quote:
Serves Uber right. There is a massive Silicon Valley arrogance that laws and taxes apply to other people and not them. They use technologies to centralise as much of the profit as possible to only a few hands whilst destroying countless other companies in their wake. They undercut everyone because they are willing to operate at a loss to dominate the market, they avoid paying tax and they exploit people.
Just an example really of the way that the law is always a bit behind technology. It catches up in the end.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 11:45   #78
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
This isn't about trade unions, Old Boy. This was a complaint raised by the Uber taxi drivers ie what "...those affected by their decisions think."

It's not beyond Uber to have a flexible working system that complies with the new ruling. Other taxi firms do.

The decision will mean more of a level playing field for small British taxi businesses. That can't be a bad thing and I speak as a pre-lockdown 1 Uber user. Uber brought innovation to the sector with their global app but that innovation can be disentangled from unfair competition and ripping contractors off.

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Just an example really of the way that the law is always a bit behind technology. It catches up in the end.
Fundamentally OB doesn’t want a level playing field for British businesses, or agree with the principle that profits generated as a result of doing business in the UK (something a local taxi company has no option but to do) should be taxed in the UK. He’d much rather see the UK Treasury denied that revenue because it’s a step closer to his wet dream of hollowing out the role and function of the state by denying it tax revenue.

He’d much rather see the money used for better public services in the Netherlands than here, or worse siphoned offshore into a tax haven never to be seen again.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 12:00   #79
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Fundamentally OB doesn’t want a level playing field for British businesses, or agree with the principle that profits generated as a result of doing business in the UK (something a local taxi company has no option but to do) should be taxed in the UK. He’d much rather see the UK Treasury denied that revenue because it’s a step closer to his wet dream of hollowing out the role and function of the state by denying it tax revenue.

He’d much rather see the money used for better public services in the Netherlands than here, or worse siphoned offshore into a tax haven never to be seen again.
I'll try and persuade Old Boy. "Come on Old Boy, let's keep those taxes in the UK and not send them to the EU!"
Old 20-02-2021, 12:21   #80
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'll try and persuade Old Boy. "Come on Old Boy, let's keep those taxes in the UK and not send them to the EU!"
I'm not aware of the specifics of this case but on some level it's actually a positive that we are outside the EU if we want to take on these "big tech innovators" whose only innovation is to erode employment rights and avoid taxes.

A case like this would almost certainly end up in the European courts tied to cases across Europe and have competing interests making representations.

Now we get to tell them we're Great Britain and to naff off if they want to exploit workers, shift profits to other countries and put British businesses to the sword under the guise of competition.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 17:09   #81
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I'm not aware of the specifics of this case but on some level it's actually a positive that we are outside the EU if we want to take on these "big tech innovators" whose only innovation is to erode employment rights and avoid taxes.

A case like this would almost certainly end up in the European courts tied to cases across Europe and have competing interests making representations.

Now we get to tell them we're Great Britain and to naff off if they want to exploit workers, shift profits to other countries and put British businesses to the sword under the guise of competition.
I am 100% behind taxing big tech, they need to be paying the right tax on any revenue gleamed from the U.K. and I agree that hopefully being o/s the EU may give us some tools to do that.
Old 20-02-2021, 20:20   #82
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Try telling that to the punters when they see the consequences of this judgement.
What consequences ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 22:22   #83
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Some interesting insight by former student and Deliveroo rider "Oscar" on the FT website
Quote:
Their innovation is in regulatory arbitrage. For example, with Deliveroo many riders register as bicycle riders but deliver takeaways with a car. This means that they can evade paying commercial delivery insurance (very expensive), hence can undercut employed delivery drivers that work for restaurants. Deliveroo wash their hands, because their riders are "independent contractors", not employees...

Deliveroo even allows you to share your account as you're a "self employed contractor" - it is your prerogative if you wish to outsource the work... This means people with the right to work create an account, then rent this account out to someone who does not have the right to work (illegal migrants).
Old 20-02-2021, 23:07   #84
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Do/have you used their service?
I do but I always tip about £5 Preferably in cash if i have it.

I would prefer if Uber stopped exploiting their drivers instead.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 09:45   #85
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I do but I always tip about £5 Preferably in cash if i have it.

I would prefer if Uber stopped exploiting their drivers instead.
London prices

The last tip i gave a Taxi driver was have a bath and buy some deodorant
Old 21-02-2021, 10:10   #86
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Remember £5 only gets you a half of shandy in London.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 10:47   #87
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Remember £5 only gets you a half of shandy in London.
My first weeks wage as an apprentice was £5.
Old 21-02-2021, 11:01   #88
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
My first weeks wage as an apprentice was £5.
That was good money in 1922
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 11:03   #89
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
That was good money in 1922
Yea but it wasn't in 1972
Old 21-02-2021, 11:17   #90
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yea but it wasn't in 1972
Equivalent to £57.69 pw or £3k a year in today's money. Enough to buy a street of houses back then!