Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

Old 03-01-2021, 16:43   #6691
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
'sigh' well after almost 2 weeks of lazing about doing nothing much apart from eating & drinking, gaming and/or watching movies until 2am followed by a late rise in the morning . . . I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to be wide awake and getting ready for work at 4:45 tomorrow morning

hopefully I won't be the only one who needs to be 'left alone' until around 9am
What you typed is pretty much exactly the same for me, 16 days of PS5 gaming and binge watching Fringe on CinemaHD or Kodi and tomorrow my 2 alarms go off at 4.45am, not sure how I am going to get enough sleep tonight!!!
Old 03-01-2021, 16:45   #6692
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

It may sound strange, but I miss getting up at 6am to get ready for work at 7:30am, I used to get there abut 7am sit with some mates with a cuppa.

But those days ended on July 1st. (well March 26th if you take in Self isolation & then furlough)
Old 06-01-2021, 10:13   #6693
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
It may sound strange, but I miss getting up at 6am to get ready for work at 7:30am, I used to get there abut 7am sit with some mates with a cuppa.

But those days ended on July 1st. (well March 26th if you take in Self isolation & then furlough)
I don't miss it, 2 hours of expensive uncomfortable commuting each day for absolutely no reason.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:02   #6694
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

//Rant mode on

So I work in a school as a Network Admin and as you are probably all aware children are having to learn via online home learning.

Now we have sent out all the relevant login info, how to guides, and all the info you could possibly need is on our website.

I know parents are getting frustrated and want their kids to learn but this is all being taken out on me, who is just trying to help.

Parents have been calling up and magically seem to think I can see a) what computer or device they are using, 2) know instantly how it is configured, and c) get annoyed when it doesnt work when it is actually their device that is the issue.

Not to forget those parents that on their own accord went to buy their kids a new device yet when it doesnt work it is iunstsantly my fault.
I'd like to see them try to argue that one in court!

And I nearly forgot to mention the parents that shout and swear at you down the phone, or who believe that they are always right and no one can tell them anything different.

I have to remain calm and of course do my job trying to help but secretly I want to track them down and set fire to their computers!

//Rant mode off

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:22   #6695
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Mother in law (aged 92, in a care home) had a fall last night (we got a call at 1am this morning), and she was taken to hospital with a suspected arm fracture.

Good news - it’s not fractured, but first bit of bad news was they were concerned about her breathing, and initial checks showed she had a chest infection.

As the Elderly Medicine Unit in Leeds is at St James (and she was at LGI), she was transferred this afternoon - we have just found out she has tested COVID positive, so she is being transferred to a COVID ward at St Jimmy’s.

We’re a bit broken up about this news...
Good news - four weeks and two days after going into hospital, Mum came out yesterday evening, and is now safely ensconced safe and sound back in her Care Home.

She had marvellous treatment at St Jimmy’s, was given Hexamethasone (steroid) and Remdesivir (anti-viral), which made a huge difference.

They weren’t going to give her Remdesivir initially, but my brother-in-law (who works in Pharma) convinced* them, which was good - we will drive over later and wave to her through her window.

*they wouldn’t give her the Regeneron cocktail, no matter how much he tried...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:28   #6696
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

You have my sympathies.

It is possible to have PC's automatically join the VPN at login, no RSA token or similar so support becomes much easier and you can't disconnect. This would work for devices supplied to kids but as they are "on the network" and belong to you it's easier to remote on and fix some problems. Does open more issues with network printers.

Much harder in you situation where the child could be using a variety of devices with lots of variation in O/S and software. Because I know IT at home we get our kids refurbished Lenovo's and put Linux on them. They can do pretty much everything they need and Linux is easier for me to support as I know it better than Windows.
Old 08-01-2021, 16:37   #6697
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
You have my sympathies.

It is possible to have PC's automatically join the VPN at login, no RSA token or similar so support becomes much easier and you can't disconnect. This would work for devices supplied to kids but as they are "on the network" and belong to you it's easier to remote on and fix some problems. Does open more issues with network printers.

Much harder in you situation where the child could be using a variety of devices with lots of variation in O/S and software. Because I know IT at home we get our kids refurbished Lenovo's and put Linux on them. They can do pretty much everything they need and Linux is easier for me to support as I know it better than Windows.

Thanks for your post.
In an ideal world with a pot of money we would love to have devices rolled out and on an MDM where everything is setup the same, etc, but unfortunately not the case with many school children having to rely on the only web connecting kit they have....which could be anything from a phone to an XBox, to a laptop.
We are getting there, slowly. Just means dealing with a lot of different situations and problems.

Old 18-01-2021, 13:56   #6698
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Solictors. Been in a hotel now for 15 days as the house was sold last year, and the new owners moved in on January 4 and I left on the 3rd. The flat I am moving to was hoping to be ready by this coming Friday yet the solicitor is dragging his heels and running up a nice fee for doing sweet FA. Now he tells me and my mum on Saturday that there are still 11 queries outstanding. Sick of it.

Don't get me wrong, the hotel is lovely and comfortable but I want to be in my own place you know. Looking like I will be in for at least another week now.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 12:39   #6699
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Currently on the phone to my doctors surgery chasing up on my dads hospital appointment.

But suffering the god awful hold music and the "you call is important to us" message.

Well if it is important you would answer the call quicker if you didn't stand around talking (I did this last year and watched them through the locked door, and they just looked up when I rang the door bell, then just ignored me.)

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

The music is worse than Baby Shark
Old 20-01-2021, 12:43   #6700
Halcyon
Hello !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Currently on the phone to my doctors surgery chasing up on my dads hospital appointment.

But suffering the god awful hold music and the "you call is important to us" message.

Well if it is important you would answer the call quicker if you didn't stand around talking (I did this last year and watched them through the locked door, and they just looked up when I rang the door bell, then just ignored me.)

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

The music is worse than Baby Shark

Good luck. I hope you get through soon.

I once got told by the receptionists that getting an appointment was now quicker and down from one month to now only 6 weeks!

Old 30-01-2021, 10:04   #6701
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

What miserable weather. Good job we can't go anywhere due to lockdown.
Old 01-02-2021, 16:02   #6702
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Bit of a moan here, although it had a happy ending..

I've been trying to upgrade Microsoft's Windows Assessment and Deployment Toolkit on my machine, as one of my responsibilities at work is maintaining one of our Windows Deployments, and this toolkit contains the utilities used for that.

My moan is this. It requires that you uninstall the old version before upgrading, or even downloading, the new one. You have to uninstall the old version because when you download the new version, the download you get is a utility that is used to download and install the new version. It won't even run if you have ANY version of the ADK installed.

Bit annoying, but the uninstall for the old version was failing when it tried to uninstall one of the tools, and reversing the uninstall when it failed.

looking at the error code, it apparently means there was a permission problem meaning the installer didn't have access to something it needed to change. Unfortunately, the logs I had available just said the error occured. They didn't have any details of what the installer was trying to access.

Then, today, I ran the uninstall, with slightly changed logging options. It ran fine.

The plus side is I now have an up to date version of the software on my machine. The downside is because Microsoft decided to write an uninstaller that told me there was problem with the uninstall without telling where that problem was, I've spent ages trying to fix a problem that should have taken a few minutes.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:42   #6703
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Getting fed up with the InHealth Endoscopy service, who seem unable to find notes my GP practice has sent them on two separate occasions.

All I get is e-mails requesting the information again. That I am due for this unpleasant procedure in March makes this a concern.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 16:00   #6704
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Damn slow incompetent solictors. It has now been a month since I moved out of the house and into a hotel. It's a nice room don't get me wrong. But it isn't home. I am so sick of it. Turns out the contract only got signed on the other side yesterday.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 17:41   #6705
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

There's a national shortage of leeks at the moment due to the floods and now the frost.