Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 18-06-2019, 14:16   #1036
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm not sure what post you are referring to here. It is true that I have said in the past that Sky is under threat from the global players, but now that Comcast have taken over, this has diminished somewhat.

I have also criticised Sky for the lack of original content and I have said that with new streaming services being set up such as Disney+, a lot of the programmes it currently screens will migrate to those services. Whole channels, such as Sky Cinema Disney, the Disney Channel and Disney XD are under threat by that one new streaming service.

The Comcast takeover is a help to Sky because it has a library of its own, but I don't think they should be too laid back about that situation. This is a rapidly changing market.
So Disney , Fox and HBO remove their content deals from Comcast , Sky UK and Sky in Europe how much do they then save ? Because I'd imagine it's significant amounts.

That's money they can then redistribute as they see fit with things like more original content and more movies etc.

I'm pretty sure we'll also see more purchases , I think Discovery would be a great addition for Comcast.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-06-2019, 17:37   #1037
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So Disney , Fox and HBO remove their content deals from Comcast , Sky UK and Sky in Europe how much do they then save ? Because I'd imagine it's significant amounts.

That's money they can then redistribute as they see fit with things like more original content and more movies etc.

I'm pretty sure we'll also see more purchases , I think Discovery would be a great addition for Comcast.
It could work out that way, muppetman, but as you know, Disney is currently taking its content off Netflix, and it is clear from the reducing number of new dramas coming to existing TV channels that streaming services are hoarding content for themselves.

I do agree that some services may choose to distribute some of their material to other services and TV channels, but I don't see much evidence of that yet.

In the meantime, I see that WarnerMedia is aiming to acquire loads of new content from Bad Robot. Content acquisition by the streamers as opposed to dissemination seems to be the name of the game at present.

http://www.csimagazine.com/csi/WarnerMedia-reportedly-close-to-$500m-content-deal-with-Bad-Robot.php

Last edited by OLD BOY; 18-06-2019 at 18:28.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:45   #1038
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

If Warner , Disney/Fox remove content from Comcast/Sky then Comcast/Sky no longer pays them the fees it currently does meaning a lot of money they currently outlay is saved allowing them to invest in their own original content as opposed to buying third party.

What's hard to understand about that , I've reread your post and must admit I'm struggling to understand what you are on about.
Old 18-06-2019, 17:49   #1039
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I said it wasn't about changing subscription service or one particular series. Most companies want to look good, some put a lot of effort into managing their image. Often it can be because they have a virtual monopoly of their market. Even if it doesn't pay immediate rewards a good company image may have long term benefits. Some actions can have a cumulative effect.

Some people don't use the services of certain businesses because they don't like something about them. Whether they are too big, environmental credentials, who owns the company. Many, for instance,may not now have a problem with Sky due to its change of ownership. Sky values its image, why else do that Sky Ocean Rescue thing, or fund a cycling team despite never showing the sport on their own sports channels?

I haven't been in Asda since Walmart bought them. I have avoided other companies because I didn't like their business practices, some of those companies later changed and I returned. So it's not nobody. I'm not saying it's a large percentage, but it can be a significant minority who think about stuff like that. And if you are trying to maximise your assets you want to at least try to attract everybody.

Timing of information release is as important as the information itself, e.g. there's the burying of certain news on a bad news day so that it won't be paid attention to. I'm not saying this is that, just that it's an example of timing being important.

So in the grand scheme of things, I can see a company spreading out good news press releases, it's a low effort strategy, it allows each piece of good news to be recognised rather than buried in a wave of information.

This might not be happening, I could be wrong, it's just a possibility, a suggestion.
I am a prime example of this (no pun intended)!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 17:57   #1040
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
If Warner , Disney/Fox remove content from Comcast/Sky then Comcast/Sky no longer pays them the fees it currently does meaning a lot of money they currently outlay is saved allowing them to invest in their own original content as opposed to buying third party.

What's hard to understand about that , I've reread your post and must admit I'm struggling to understand what you are on about.
Welcome to the club.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 18:32   #1041
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

Well, I'm having some trouble understanding your point, too. You say that Disney and the like will lose money by taking their programmes back for themselves, which is true, and it's already happening to Netflix. What you are forgetting is that the streaming services will be recouping that money with the new subscriptions they will be getting as the new services roll out.
Old 18-06-2019, 18:48   #1042
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, I'm having some trouble understanding your point, too. You say that Disney and the like will lose money by taking their programmes back for themselves, which is true, and it's already happening to Netflix. What you are forgetting is that the streaming services will be recouping that money with the new subscriptions they will be getting as the new services roll out.
What you are forgetting is that streaming services could recoup that money with new subscriptions. There is reasonable risk in giving up guaranteed income for a contract period then relying on your own sales.

Where does the 'new' money come from? Pay-tv has a fixed pot of revenue to be shared out - content providers going down the direct to subscriber route is just a different way of controlling the distribution of it.
Old 18-06-2019, 18:53   #1043
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I said nothing of the sort I said Comcast save money as they are no longer paying these third party contracts allowing them to plough money into their own content.
Old 18-06-2019, 19:12   #1044
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I said nothing of the sort I said Comcast save money as they are no longer paying these third party contracts allowing them to plough money into their own content.
Hundreds of millions in the UK alone. Across all Comcast territories it'll be billions a year to invest in content.
Old 18-06-2019, 19:34   #1045
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Oh, I see, thank you. I don't disagree with that, but I do have concern that Sky is only doubling the money it puts into its originals. I think they need to do much better than that, although they will at least have the Comcast library to fall back on.
Old 19-06-2019, 08:12   #1046
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Oh, I see, thank you. I don't disagree with that, but I do have concern that Sky is only doubling the money it puts into its originals. I think they need to do much better than that, although they will at least have the Comcast library to fall back on.
“Only doubling”. You are acting as if Sky are the only Comcast arm engaged in content production. You are simply continuing to distort facts, evidence, reality and economics to evidence your extreme vision of the future.
Old 19-06-2019, 08:37   #1047
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
What you are forgetting is that streaming services could recoup that money with new subscriptions. There is reasonable risk in giving up guaranteed income for a contract period then relying on your own sales.

Where does the 'new' money come from? Pay-tv has a fixed pot of revenue to be shared out - content providers going down the direct to subscriber route is just a different way of controlling the distribution of it.
I am not missing that fact, jfman, I have already stated that streaming services could give broadcast rights to TV providers and even to other streaming services.

However, that does not appear to be what is happening. We are already seeing Disney take back their shows from Netflix, for example. What makes you think they will renew their contracts with Sky and others when they run out?

The money will be made from the new subscription services, as I said before, and those that provide an advertisement option will also make money from those commercials.

---------- Post added at 07:37 ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
“Only doubling”. You are acting as if Sky are the only Comcast arm engaged in content production. You are simply continuing to distort facts, evidence, reality and economics to evidence your extreme vision of the future.
Sky already has access to Comcast shows, but that isn't sufficient to substitute for the tribe that is shown on the existing Sky channels. Subscriber growth will only be enjoyed if Sky is able to demonstrate quality as well as quantity against the vast choice available from the streamers.
Old 19-06-2019, 09:02   #1048
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
So first you say Sky ain't putting enough money towards content and when they double their resources towards more content you still grumble.

It seems you are still reading the same old book with the same old chapter in it...
Old 19-06-2019, 11:51   #1049
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I am not missing that fact, jfman, I have already stated that streaming services could give broadcast rights to TV providers and even to other streaming services.

However, that does not appear to be what is happening. We are already seeing Disney take back their shows from Netflix, for example. What makes you think they will renew their contracts with Sky and others when they run out?

The money will be made from the new subscription services, as I said before, and those that provide an advertisement option will also make money from those commercials.

---------- Post added at 07:37 ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 ----------

Sky already has access to Comcast shows, but that isn't sufficient to substitute for the tribe that is shown on the existing Sky channels. Subscriber growth will only be enjoyed if Sky is able to demonstrate quality as well as quantity against the vast choice available from the streamers.
Ah the straw man again. Why would Disney keep its content on Sky? I didn’t say that it would. My point, as ever, is that Comcast are well placed to adapt.

Sky has access to Comcast content, what’s to make you think if Sky in the UK are “doubling” investment the same isn’t replicated elsewhere?

I like that Sky have to demonstrate quality and quantity but streamers do not, they obviously automatically do by virtue of their distribution method.
Old 19-06-2019, 13:30   #1050
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

The first 'Virgin Media Original' (actually a partnership between STARZ and Liberty Global) launches in a few weeks...

'Virgin Media customers will be able to watch The Rook exclusively from Monday 1 July. It will also be available on Virgin TV Ultra HD (CH 999). Plus, if you miss out, you’ll be able to catch up on the Box Set of the entire series in On Demand.'

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...how-first-look
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote