Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 03-09-2019, 18:45   #1771
paul0363
cf.member

paul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nice
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

...but it puts Amazon next to Netflix in the EPG
paul0363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2019, 18:59   #1772
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Be interesting will be very expensive for SKY and VM one feels and we all know the result of that.

---------- Post added at 12:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Thankyou.
I’m not sure it is expensive for either to be fair.

While the streamers are falling over themselves to offer £7.99 TV packages with precarious business models gigabit capable internet is going to be at a hefty price premium for years to come given the high initial cost of FTTP.

Sky bundling Virgin internet as opposed to an openreach product is probably better news for both.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 19:50   #1773
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m not sure it is expensive for either to be fair.

While the streamers are falling over themselves to offer £7.99 TV packages with precarious business models gigabit capable internet is going to be at a hefty price premium for years to come given the high initial cost of FTTP.

Sky bundling Virgin internet as opposed to an openreach product is probably better news for both.
Most people tend to think that Sky is the best for TV and VM the best for BB. If Sky can offer the best of both worlds, I think that Sky will be the winner and VM will be the loser.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 19:59   #1774
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Most people tend to think that Sky is the best for TV and VM the best for BB. If Sky can offer the best of both worlds, I think that Sky will be the winner and VM will be the loser.
Why do you come to that assumption Richard?.
Old 03-09-2019, 20:29   #1775
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Virgin could gain, indirectly via the wholesale deal, millions of profitable internet customers.

Would they lose millions of (not so profitable) TV customers to Sky? I’m sceptical. Someone could equally have Sky TV and Virgin retail broadband now if they felt so inclined.
Old 03-09-2019, 20:39   #1776
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Because Sky will be able to offer their TV service as well as VM broadband.

Quote:
Virgin could gain, indirectly via the wholesale deal, millions of profitable internet customers.

Would they lose millions of (not so profitable) TV customers to Sky? I’m sceptical. Someone could equally have Sky TV and Virgin retail broadband now if they felt so inclined.
True and some people do have both, but I think that it usually works out more expensive as Sky and VM won't offer triple play discounts.

I suppose VM must have taken into account the profit from wholesaling their broadband as well as the potential loss of direct TV customers (who will probably cancel phone/BB/TV) and decided that it's still worth doing this.
Old 03-09-2019, 20:47   #1777
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Sky won’t be able to discount it to the extent they can with the regulated price of Openreach products, and it’ll likely be more expensive than triple play Virgin anyway. At the right price point it’s a huge win for both parties in slightly different ways.

It’d compete with high cost FTTP products elsewhere in the market.

Last edited by jfman; 03-09-2019 at 20:51.
Old 03-09-2019, 20:57   #1778
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Sky won’t be able to discount it to the extent they can with the regulated price of Openreach products, and it’ll likely be more expensive than triple play Virgin anyway. At the right price point it’s a huge win for both parties in slightly different ways.

It’d compete with high cost FTTP products elsewhere in the market.
Well, City Fibre are currently undercutting VM for my speed of 200 Mbps, so I don't know:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33708119
Old 03-09-2019, 21:15   #1779
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Well, City Fibre are currently undercutting VM for my speed of 200 Mbps, so I don't know:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33708119
You admit in your own post that the City Fibre product doesn’t include a landline. Nor are they in a position to bundle a TV package the way both Sky and Virgin can.
Old 03-09-2019, 21:23   #1780
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

The latest article about The Feed confirms Virgin TV Ultra HD will now be on channel 228:

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...-original-show
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 23:14   #1781
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You admit in your own post that the City Fibre product doesn’t include a landline. Nor are they in a position to bundle a TV package the way both Sky and Virgin can.
It would be cheaper for someone who just wants broadband though. I'm surprised that City Fibre aren't offering TV (everyone seems to be doing it these days), though I can understand why they might not want to bother with the dying landline as a new operator- now that would be real competition for Virgin Media.
Old 03-09-2019, 23:24   #1782
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
It would be cheaper for someone who just wants broadband though. I'm surprised that City Fibre aren't offering TV (everyone seems to be doing it these days), though I can understand why they might not want to bother with the dying landline as a new operator- now that would be real competition for Virgin Media.
One minute the concern is TV customers, the next broadband only? I’m not sure that’s a coherent strand. Virgin can market it’s product suitably against Cityfibre or anyone else in due course.
Old 03-09-2019, 23:55   #1783
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I'm with Zen and they also don't offer any tv package.
Legendkiller2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:31   #1784
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
I'm with Zen and they also don't offer any tv package.
Maybe these new superfast companies think that there's no need for them to provide phone and telephone as people can easily use VOIP and streaming services with 4K in a few rooms such is the speeds offered??
Old 04-09-2019, 02:22   #1785
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Maybe these new superfast companies think that there's no need for them to provide phone and telephone as people can easily use VOIP and streaming services with 4K in a few rooms such is the speeds offered??
Zen isn't new it's been around for a very long time, i asked them about tv they said point blank "we have no plans for a tv service"
I haven't even got an ariel connected to my tv a combo of nowtv, netflix and hulu is plenty for me plus no tv licence needed either.
Legendkiller2k is offline   Reply With Quote