Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 21-08-2019, 11:28   #1636
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

I've not seen Universal channel mentioned which would suggest that could be on its way out.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2019, 11:51   #1637
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I've not seen Universal channel mentioned which would suggest that could be on its way out.
That's a great spot. Obviously it could be an accidental omission, but it adds to the previous speculation from some people that Universal Channel content was being shifted to Sky Witness (that seemed to be based on one show at the time).

Crime drama could be being shifted off Universal Channel to make Sky Witness the only crime drama channel in Sky's (updated) portfolio, turning Universal Channel into the "true" crime channel.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 21-08-2019 at 12:02.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 13:32   #1638
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I've seen some documents suggesting universal might be moving to a movie channel.
All speculation ofcourse at this point.
Legendkiller2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 14:18   #1639
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
RXTVlog on Twitter is saying Sky is launching two new channels, Sky Crime in October 2019 and Sky Comedy in February 2020.

Literally just read this so I'll see if I can see more.

---------- Post added at 09:27 ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 ----------

They've posted the story to their website now.
https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/08/sky-...rtainment.html
Sky trying again with an comedy channel?

I was the big of the old one back in the early 1990.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dt-UTkizr4

It was an part time channel (4pm - 12midnight) with Asia TV (Now Zee TV (6am to 4pm) and an other channel (I forgot it name) The Comedy Channnel only broadcast for an year (October 1991 to October 1992) to make way for Sky Movies Gold to launch.

It stop broadcasting due to the deal BSkyB had with the BBC at the time for all the Made by BBC comedy shows. Sky took the deal over when Sky with buying BSB.

The BBC wanted them back to launch UK Gold (Now Gold) in November 1992.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 21-08-2019 at 14:50.
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 14:46   #1640
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Sky trying again with an comedy channel?

I was the big of the old one back in the early 1990.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dt-UTkizr4
Given they have mentioned HBO and Showtime as sources for the comedies in their press release, I think they've realised that the public associates Sky Atlantic with drama and have decided the comedies broadcast there are probably getting overlooked as a result.
Old 21-08-2019, 14:54   #1641
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

It that October 2019 channel launches on Virgin Media I think it safe to say the other one will also launch on Virgin next year.

Look like Sky Two and Real Lives will be axe.

Sky Two > Sky Comedy
Real Lives > Sky Crime (Viewers will not see anything new bar the name of channel)
Old 21-08-2019, 14:58   #1642
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
It was probably not mentioned because Universal is not a 'Sky branded channel' which is what the others listed in the press release were.

It is quite possible we will see some reorganisation of channels or channel names with the Comcast takeover, but I have not picked up that Universal are going anywhere yet.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 15:05   #1643
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It was probably not mentioned because Universal is not a 'Sky branded channel' which is what the others listed in the press release were.

It is quite possible we will see some reorganisation of channels or channel names with the Comcast takeover, but I have not picked up that Universal are going anywhere yet.
From official press release
Quote:
Sky’s other channel brands include E!, SYFY, Pick and Challenge.
No mention of Universal.
Old 21-08-2019, 15:33   #1644
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
I've seen some documents suggesting universal might be moving to a movie channel.
All speculation ofcourse at this point.
Certainly possible, but would Sky want a film channel of that type?

There has been a "film" channel spun out of Universal Channel previously, Movies24 and Movies24+ started when Universal was still Hallmark-branded and broadcasts the romantic "TV movies" Hallmark used to show before the rebrand.

Given Sony's True Movies shows this type of thing but might not continue to after it is rebranded as Sony Movies Classic (their press release suggests it will be showing films that have been shown in cinemas) then Movies24/+ will have the market pretty much to itself.

Sony's upcoming Movies4Men and True Movies rebranding (due September 10th I think) suggest they both will be showing cinema releases, so any Universal movie channel would have quite a lot of competition (i.e. Sony Movies Classic and Sony Movies Action combined with original Sony Movie Channel and Film4), though obviously would be showing different films as they have access to different film libraries.
Old 21-08-2019, 16:07   #1645
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

No mention of Universal.
I see what you mean, thanks.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 16:31   #1646
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Certainly possible, but would Sky want a film channel of that type?

There has been a "film" channel spun out of Universal Channel previously, Movies24 and Movies24+ started when Universal was still Hallmark-branded and broadcasts the romantic "TV movies" Hallmark used to show before the rebrand.

Given Sony's True Movies shows this type of thing but might not continue to after it is rebranded as Sony Movies Classic (their press release suggests it will be showing films that have been shown in cinemas) then Movies24/+ will have the market pretty much to itself.

Sony's upcoming Movies4Men and True Movies rebranding (due September 10th I think) suggest they both will be showing cinema releases, so any Universal movie channel would have quite a lot of competition (i.e. Sony Movies Classic and Sony Movies Action combined with original Sony Movie Channel and Film4), though obviously would be showing different films as they have access to different film libraries.
I'm wondering if Universal would become a Film channel should the other movie studios remove their films from the Sky Cinema package.

In this scenario Sky could have a basic entertainment package and then one a few pounds more offering Universal movies.
Old 21-08-2019, 16:45   #1647
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I'm wondering if Universal would become a Film channel should the other movie studios remove their films from the Sky Cinema package.

In this scenario Sky could have a basic entertainment package and then one a few pounds more offering Universal movies.
This is my thinking too, with more and more studios seeming to want to go it alone.
Legendkiller2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 18:05   #1648
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
This is my thinking too, with more and more studios seeming to want to go it alone.
Every media company offering their own service is going to hurt the likes of Film4. They only have a tiny library of their own.
Old 21-08-2019, 18:40   #1649
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:

No mention of Universal.
Also no mention of Movies 24 and Sky Sports.
Old 21-08-2019, 18:45   #1650
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Also no mention of Movies 24 and Sky Sports.
The article was talking about Sky's entertainment portfolio so I'm not surprised Sky Sports wasn't mentioned.

Maybe a future Universal channel could show Movies 24 films in the daytime with Universals biggest box office movies at primetime.