Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New UI images

Old 18-12-2019, 12:03   #1
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them
New UI images

Had an email from The Connection linking to images of the new UI which in typical Virgin fashion is Coming Soon

What do you make of it? https://www.theconnectionvirginmedia...-17-151030-680
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2019, 12:16   #2
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: New UI images

It looks okay to me but the proof will be in the pudding.
Old 18-12-2019, 12:53   #3
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Isn't that the Horizon UI?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 12:59   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Isn't that the Horizon UI?
It looks like it.
Old 18-12-2019, 13:23   #5
KillerCroc1
cf.member

Services: Amazon Prime Video Netflix Discovery+ apple Tv and xbox
KillerCroc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

its about time we had a new UI
KillerCroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 13:24   #6
denphone
Still alive and fighting

One that can adapt to late programme changes.
Old 18-12-2019, 13:34   #7
KillerCroc1
cf.member

Services: Amazon Prime Video Netflix Discovery+ apple Tv and xbox
KillerCroc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's about time we had change Den we have been stuck with this outdated TiVo UI for years now yeah it's horizon UI yeah it most likely will be a buggy mess but I'm sure it won't be as bad as we think
KillerCroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 13:45   #8
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCroc1 View Post
It's about time we had change Den we have been stuck with this outdated TiVo UI for years now yeah it's horizon UI yeah it most likely will be a buggy mess but I'm sure it won't be as bad as we think
Hopefully one would hope that they have tested it well enough to iron out most of the bugs and flaws.
Old 18-12-2019, 13:53   #9
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

I've just recently returned to Tivo via the V6 after a Black Friday deal, the UI definitely is outdated, the new Horizon one looks good, hope we get it sooner rather than later.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 16:02   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I'd need to see it working, but I can't be doing with huge graphics. They just use up screen space inefficiently and result in lots of unnecessary scrolling.

VM's version of Tivo needs a fair amount of tweaking to the user interface layout, but it's fine on the whole.

I didn't like the Horizon videos I'd seen in the past, but VM are liable to change it a fair bit, based on what they did to Tivo, so I'm not going to judge it at this stage, on so little.

I'm hoping I can turn off all the unnecessary flashiness.

---------- Post added at 15:02 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

And as for the Voice Control. I don't want that. I haven't bought a "smart speaker", I don't want any of that on my TV.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 16:41   #11
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Others do want it though , if it's like Sky Q there could be a new remote with a button to press to use the Voice functionality. If you don't want to use it simply don't press the button.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 17:29   #12
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
One that can adapt to late programme changes.

Dream on, I find program changes happen a lot quicker on sky than v6, nothing to do with the UI more virgins failure to keep things up to date
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 17:32   #13
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Others do want it though , if it's like Sky Q there could be a new remote with a button to press to use the Voice functionality. If you don't want to use it simply don't press the button.
I realise that, they wouldn't be doing it otherwise. I just hope they spend as much time and effort getting the button and touch interfaces spot on.

The young me would be horrified that I don't want it, I loved the computer on Star Trek TNG, and I still love gadgets, just not voice ones.
Old 18-12-2019, 18:06   #14
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point

Will this be rolled out to the old TiVo boxes or V6 only?

P.S. The above linked PDF seems to be removed
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 18:15   #15
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post
Will this be rolled out to the old TiVo boxes or V6 only?

P.S. The above linked PDF seems to be removed
It'll be V6 only. The old hardware won't be fast enough. They'll be wanting to phase out the old Tivo hardware at some point. It's cheaper and easier to run, the fewer differences in hardware there are.

The main reason to keep the old Tivo going at the moment is that it has its own dedicated internet connection, whereas you need to have broadband with VM for the V6. They don't have a TV product for people that don't have/want internet without the old box.