Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Series Links, too many

Old 27-12-2019, 13:26   #1
stripes
cf.addict

stripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enough
Series Links, too many

I've been using Tivo etc. for some years now, and have finally decided to get help on a long-standing problem.

If I put a Series Link on EastEnders (living in London), I then get recordings of EastEnders Scotland, EastEnders Wales, EastEnders HD, and so on, as well as my London channel.

How can I limit what I'm 'linking' to just the channels I've specified?

Same thing happens if I want to see old EastEnders. It's shown on channel 130 Drama, but I ALSO get the repeat from Drama +1 (226).

And no, putting 'new only' screws the whole thing up!

Anyone got any hints as to what I'm doing wrong?

Ta.

Allen.
stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-12-2019, 13:57   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Series Links, too many

I suspect you've set it to record "Everything". It should be set to record "New & reruns". "New" will pick BBC1 HD and "reruns" will pick up Drama, all with no duplication.
nomadking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 13:59   #3
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
I've been using Tivo etc. for some years now, and have finally decided to get help on a long-standing problem.

If I put a Series Link on EastEnders (living in London), I then get recordings of EastEnders Scotland, EastEnders Wales, EastEnders HD, and so on, as well as my London channel.

How can I limit what I'm 'linking' to just the channels I've specified?

Same thing happens if I want to see old EastEnders. It's shown on channel 130 Drama, but I ALSO get the repeat from Drama +1 (226).

And no, putting 'new only' screws the whole thing up!

Anyone got any hints as to what I'm doing wrong?

Ta.

Allen.
That's strange. Maybe you should delete your existing series link and create a new one. The 'New only' selection should not foul that up.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 14:01   #4
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's strange. Maybe you should delete your existing series link and create a new one. The 'New only' selection should not foul that up.
It would foul it up in the sense that the reruns on Drama would be missing.
Old 27-12-2019, 14:02   #5
stripes
cf.addict

stripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enoughstripes will become famous soon enough

Thanks, nomadking, and old boy. I'll do that, and see what happens.

A.
Old 27-12-2019, 14:07   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
It would foul it up in the sense that the reruns on Drama would be missing.
Would you really want to see the old repeats as well?
Old 27-12-2019, 14:20   #7
stripes
cf.addict

I didn't watch it in the old days (too busy working!). So I decided to stick it on the Tivo for 'occasional' watching, given there's so little worth watching most of the time.

Thus I want to see the repeats (if by that you mean the 28-year-old repeats), but NOT repeats of the repeats...

A
Old 27-12-2019, 14:43   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

It might not be possible to do exactly what you want here. There's a design limitation with Series Links - you can either set them to record from a single channel or from All channels, but you can't select to only record from 101 and 130, for example. You can sometimes work round this by setting the "Get in HD" option either to "Always" or "Never".
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 15:52   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

If my memory serves me correctly, you can set a further series link for the Drama channel only. I think I'm right in saying that! Worth a try, perhaps.
Old 27-12-2019, 15:58   #10
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Was just going to suggest what Old Boy said, a second series link for Drama only should do the trick
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 16:15   #11
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

No, I believe you can only have one series link for EastEnders.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 16:39   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
No, I believe you can only have one series link for EastEnders.
Correct. If you try to create a second one, it'll silently delete the first.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 16:54   #13
stripes
cf.addict

Fair enough. Not that they will, but a channel-specific option on future updates of Series Link would be (I think) fairly easy to add, and would certainly solve this particular problem.

A
Old 27-12-2019, 18:28   #14
nomadking
cf.mega poster

I find the "new and reruns" on "All" channels(if required) does the trick. Just tried it with Eastenders on BBC1 HD and then also on Drama. It works as desired. Only 14 episodes set up with no repeat recordings ie no Drama+1, BBC 1 Scotland etc.
Old 27-12-2019, 19:58   #15
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
I find the "new and reruns" on "All" channels(if required) does the trick. Just tried it with Eastenders on BBC1 HD and then also on Drama. It works as desired. Only 14 episodes set up with no repeat recordings ie no Drama+1, BBC 1 Scotland etc.
In which case, it seems that if the OP deletes the present series link and does it again as suggested, this may resolve the problem.

Stripes, your existing problem is certainly puzzling. You don't also have a Wish List set up for Eastenders, do you?