Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you fixed lately?

Old 17-03-2016, 18:07   #436
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you fixed lately?

A neighbour came to me with a halogen lamp (the type you can see on building sites). They wired it to a mains plug and found it didn't work.

I looked at it for 2 seconds and saw the info panel "110 volts".

I cut the plug off and handed it back. That fixed it.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2016, 18:12   #437
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

A leaky bath drain trap..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 19:58   #438
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
A neighbour came to me with a halogen lamp (the type you can see on building sites). They wired it to a mains plug and found it didn't work.

I looked at it for 2 seconds and saw the info panel "110 volts".

I cut the plug off and handed it back. That fixed it.
When they haven't been stolen?...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 20:12   #439
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
When they haven't been stolen?...
I make no suggestion
Old 27-03-2016, 21:15   #440
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Osem Jnr's favourite leather wallet which had burst at the seam (due to coins not notes lol) and required re-stitching.
Old 29-03-2016, 18:06   #441
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Fitted new battery (£1.60 delivered) to my Casio watch. Slight hitch in that after a while the analogue time stopped updating but after opening again, checking and closing the case now working fine. Maybe a bit of dust got in the mechanism.

Working on my Braun 1508 shaver at the moment. I thought the motor was failing, and have got a replacement, but the fault was a dry joint on the battery that has blown the built-in charger circuit. I've been able to find a schematic for it on the net and have replaced several faulty components but now have an order on Ebay for the main invertor transistor (BUD87) as that has gone too. Same device but in a slightly bigger package (BUX87) but will fit fine.

Got a pack of 5. If I'd only ordered one it will blow immediately*, 5 gives a sporting chance as I don't think I've tracked down all the faulty components yet.

* Sod's law.
Old 29-03-2016, 18:48   #442
Osem
Inactive

A damaged fence panel in the front garden. Bit of a bugger as the panel is 6' x 4' but the fence posts are set at 5'11", grrrr.....
Old 29-03-2016, 18:50   #443
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
A damaged fence panel in the front garden. Bit of a bugger as the panel is 6' x 4' but the fence posts are set at 5'11", grrrr.....
Nothing a sledge hammer can't fix.
Old 02-04-2016, 22:01   #444
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Nothing a sledge hammer can't fix.
lol

What I actually did was prise off the upright battens on one end of the panel and set them half an inch narrower. Didn't have to trim any wood at all luckily.
Old 03-04-2016, 16:21   #445
Taf
cf.mega poster

A friend brought the woofer/amplifier part of his home cinema sound unit.

"It rattling" he said.

I found 4 bits of LEGO had been posted inside the speaker chamber.
Old 04-04-2016, 18:26   #446
Taf
cf.mega poster

The stepover fence that holds back the lavender.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:40   #447
Osem
Inactive

One of our window vacs. Well when I say 'fixed'... reduced to a pile of components in search of a fix. It wasn't refusing to charge and turn of/off properly so I had a look inside. I have no idea what the problem is but found a nice looking cylindrical (18650) 3.7v li-ion battery inside and am wondering if I could use it for something else. It appears to be virtually identical to the cell inside the Karcher version of the machine so it could be a spare for that but what else could it easily be used for?
Old 06-04-2016, 12:39   #448
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Just stripped down my motorcycle forks after blowing a seal, now refitted and working great
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 13:53   #449
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
One of our window vacs. Well when I say 'fixed'... reduced to a pile of components in search of a fix. It wasn't refusing to charge and turn of/off properly so I had a look inside. I have no idea what the problem is but found a nice looking cylindrical (18650) 3.7v li-ion battery inside and am wondering if I could use it for something else. It appears to be virtually identical to the cell inside the Karcher version of the machine so it could be a spare for that but what else could it easily be used for?
Be wary of where you source 18650 batteries, some have been found to be 3 Nimh cells in series with a lot lower capacity (and don't charge well on a Li-ion charger).
Old 06-04-2016, 15:50   #450
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Be wary of where you source 18650 batteries, some have been found to be 3 Nimh cells in series with a lot lower capacity (and don't charge well on a Li-ion charger).
Yes I know there are lots of fakes around. All I can tell you about his one is that it was supplied in a Window Vac sourced from Lidl a couple of years ago. It's not branded but the label is stamped as above. It's the same shape but a good deal thicker and longer than an AA battery and has wired connections to both ends terminating in a small connector so it wouldn't fit in any charger I have anyway. I was wondering if I might be able to work out a way to charge it and use it in some other application.

http://www.tenergy.com/30177