Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VPN recommendations for Kodi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

VPN recommendations for Kodi

Old 02-09-2017, 17:37   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
VPN recommendations for Kodi

I am looking for VPN recommendations, primarily i wish to use one with a Kodi box and Firestick, so i have a few questions.

My setup consists of a VM Hub3 in router mode and i do not wish to buy a dedicated router.

1. Can i pay for a VPN service and easily use it with a Kodi box and Firestick?

2. Best cheap VPN for Kodi streaming?
Old 02-09-2017, 17:50   #2
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads
Re: VPN recommendations for Kodi

I use IPVanish on mine (FireTV) which works great. Quite expensive if you pay it monthly but yearly it's about £60.

ExpressVPN and NordVPN are the two others i see getting recommended alongside IPVanish.

Just be aware that most VPNs don't work on first gen Firesticks, if you have the newer one you'll be fine.

Edit - to check if you have the 1st Gen on 2nd Gen Fire stick look at the number on the back.

Gen 1 = 2ABDU-0509
Gen 2 = 2AE6S-0948

Last edited by Kabaal; 02-09-2017 at 17:53.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 18:05   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
I use IPVanish on mine (FireTV) which works great. Quite expensive if you pay it monthly but yearly it's about £60.

ExpressVPN and NordVPN are the two others i see getting recommended alongside IPVanish.

Just be aware that most VPNs don't work on first gen Firesticks, if you have the newer one you'll be fine.

Edit - to check if you have the 1st Gen on 2nd Gen Fire stick look at the number on the back.

Gen 1 = 2ABDU-0509
Gen 2 = 2AE6S-0948
I have a Gen 1 Firestick so if i go with a VPN i guess i will buy another Kodi box.

What do i need to do to install a VPN onto a Kodi box is it just a case of changing some settings on the box? I guess i can't change any settings on the Hub3 router?
Old 02-09-2017, 18:16   #4
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Not sure how it is on other android boxes but on the Fire TV it has an app for IPVanish you can just search for on the box and install, you might have to install via ES File Explorer for some other providers but it's easy enough. Then you sign in, choose the server location you want to use (has them all over the world) and hit connect.

If i remember right i had to change the protocol setting on the app to UDP to get good speeds, on it's default setting it was really slow.

No you can't change settings on the SH's for a VPN unfortunately, you'd need your own router for that.
Old 02-09-2017, 18:20   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Not sure how it is on other android boxes but on the Fire TV it has an app for IPVanish you can just search for on the box and install, you might have to install via ES File Explorer for some other providers but it's easy enough. Then you sign in, choose the server location you want to use (has them all over the world) and hit connect.

If i remember right i had to change the protocol setting on the app to UDP to get good speeds, on it's default setting it was really slow.

No you can't change settings on the SH's for a VPN unfortunately, you'd need your own router for that.
Do i have to manually run the VPN app each time or can i set it up to always be on?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Old 02-09-2017, 19:07   #6
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Depends what you're doing, if it's for things like Netflix etc you can just leave it running but I find that it blocks access to my local content via Kodi so i turn it off and on depending what i'm doing. There's probably a workaround for that but i haven't bothered looking into it much to find out.
Old 04-09-2017, 13:44   #7
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

That is probably a flaw or feature of that particular app as usually local IP addresses won't get routed over a VPN.

I run a different VPN providers app on android and I can still access my NAS just fine. Same if I use the generic OpenVPN app.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 20:11   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I use VPNarea.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 13:58   #9
doreen12
Inactive

doreen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, there are a lot of popular VPN companies like Pure VPN, Express VPN, ZenMate etc. Maybe you've already heard of them, but they are supposed to be good There's actually been a lot of talk recently about using Raspberry Pi to set up a VPN, which I find pretty fascinating It's apparently not as expensive as people think, and has strong encryption and good connectivity. Maybe that's something for you?
doreen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 14:43   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

There are some free VPN's out there, but people have been warned not to expose their online traffic to a free unknown party for obvious reasons.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 19:01   #11
benny79
Inactive

benny79 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are always best served having a VPN running when using KODI, not just to hide your tracks from the law but also to unlock some of the geo restrictive addons as they will not work in most countries. I was using http://www.vpn01.com on my home router in Perth and worked fine for unblocking BBC content in Australia.
benny79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 17:39   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Perhaps this is a timely opportunity to remind everyone of the risk of prosecution if they intend to use illegal sites for streaming purposes.

Many people seem to believe that as long as they are not themselves distributing or sharing, they are safe.

However, they are not, and they are entrusting criminals with their bank details. Quite a big risk to take, IMO.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/07/...er-jailed.html
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 18:04   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I don't give anyone bank details while using Kodi, it's no different from streaming stuff off an internet web page the way I use it.

But there are people stupid enough to pay for something like this I agree, Kodi is still a legal piece of software though that can easily be installed.
Old 30-07-2018, 11:05   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiewilliams View Post
I advise you to go for express vpn.its the best vpn for kodi.but for more confirmation.you can read express vpn reviews from here https://www.vpnranks.com/expressvpn-review/ I am personally using it for many years.
Merely your opinion.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 01:14   #15
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Merely your opinion.

Doh stating the obvious or what lol Of course it was just his opinion the same as your post was just your opinion.

And btw for a 62 year old Woman you look very young.I'd love to know your secrets for looking so youthful
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote