Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 16:28   #8326
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Understand your point but Netflix is were I spend most of the limited TV watching time . Only bother with virgin TV as the package is not that much dearer than not having it ! And just using Freeview + now
Old 08-12-2020, 19:42   #8327
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...source=twitter

Jeff Shell (NBCU CEO) confirms Peacock will not launch in the Sky territories.

Shell added the international rollout for Peacock will avoid major markets like the UK, Germany and Italy where Comcast parent NBCUniversal has a major presence with Sky.

"Peacock is a product we will use selectively in markets," he told investors, as the AVOD's programming will still land on Sky in the UK market.
Old 08-12-2020, 23:46   #8328
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...source=twitter

Jeff Shell (NBCU CEO) confirms Peacock will not launch in the Sky territories.

Shell added the international rollout for Peacock will avoid major markets like the UK, Germany and Italy where Comcast parent NBCUniversal has a major presence with Sky.

"Peacock is a product we will use selectively in markets," he told investors, as the AVOD's programming will still land on Sky in the UK market.
No real surprise. Will be interesting to see if Peacock is launched elsewhere in Europe.
Old 10-12-2020, 16:00   #8329
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Having used Prime for numerous rugby and a couple of football matches over the past month, I would have to agree.

It is nowhere near the expected standard IMO
I had a 30day trial (now cancelled) for the autumn rugby, and wasn't impressed.

Their non-live streaming was entirely what I'd have expected, but as far as the sports coverage was concerned, no it didn't tick the boxes.

I know there were some other posts on another thread here to a similar effect, and I wish I could put my finger on what was missing. But comparing the live rugby streams with Sky/BT HD pictures, there was just no contest.
Old 10-12-2020, 17:17   #8330
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
I had a 30day trial (now cancelled) for the autumn rugby, and wasn't impressed.

Their non-live streaming was entirely what I'd have expected, but as far as the sports coverage was concerned, no it didn't tick the boxes.

I know there were some other posts on another thread here to a similar effect, and I wish I could put my finger on what was missing. But comparing the live rugby streams with Sky/BT HD pictures, there was just no contest.
Lack of Picture Quality was my main beef, even my wife who normally cannot tell the difference between SD/HD noticed so it must be poor.

Had a whirly sign interrupt one of the England games (presumably buffering?) - not acceptable.

The presentation was not as slick as Sky/BT - can forgive that as it was Amazon's first attempt.

However, if rugby was to be on Prime all the time I would not be happy as it would mean an extra monthly cost.

Progress - definitely not.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:59   #8331
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Disney+ have announced you guessed it price rises USA will go up by $1 EU will go up by 2euros no word on UK yet but i recon it'll be a £2 price rise.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:20   #8332
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Disney+ have announced you guessed it price rises USA will go up by $1 EU will go up by 2euros no word on UK yet but i recon it'll be a £2 price rise.
Thy're also adding Star TV (its Indian TV service) to Disney+ in Europe and doubling its annual content investment to $15bn by 2024.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:21   #8333
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Considering the amount of new Marvel and Start War content they announced, it has to be paid for somehow! Seen they announced some other Disney+ original content too (in addition to the Star TV thing for Europe) but not dug through that yet.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:04   #8334
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Considering the amount of new Marvel and Start War content they announced, it has to be paid for somehow! Seen they announced some other Disney+ original content too (in addition to the Star TV thing for Europe) but not dug through that yet.
Had confirmation Star will not be included in Disney+ cost it will be a seperate service launching Febrauary 2021.

Disney+ will rise to £7.99p/m in the UK also Disney plan to have new releases on both D+ premier and cinemas simutaniously. Still decent value imo considering the content they have.

Also yay 4 weeks off work nowe.
Old 11-12-2020, 12:25   #8335
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Had confirmation Star will not be included in Disney+ cost it will be a seperate service launching Febrauary 2021.
I'm not sure what that is what this says though. It's not the clearest.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/the...-350m-by-2024/
Quote:
Star will launch in Europe and several other international markets on February 23, 2021 as a fully integrated part of Disney+, with its own branded tile and a new collection of renowned general entertainment series, movies, documentaries and more that will double the content catalog available to Disney+ subscribers
In Europe, the service will be priced at €8.99 per month or €89.99 per year, with a similar pricing adjustment in the other Star launch markets, including Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.
For me that says it is part of Disney+ but that a price rise comes at the same time. Not that there are two subscriptions?
Old 11-12-2020, 13:35   #8336
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

For me that says it is part of Disney+ but that a price rise comes at the same time. Not that there are two subscriptions?
It’s not entirely clear with the U.K for some reason.

On one hand we are getting the price rise to 7.99 but the presentation didn’t specify the U.K and the presentation slides show pictures of the map of ‘Continental Europe’ only.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app...des-121020.pdf -

I suspect the fact that BBC have the FX deal for some years and Sky having the pay tv window for 20th Century may prevent Star (assuming it launches) having a strong portfolio at launch.
Old 11-12-2020, 13:55   #8337
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
It’s not entirely clear with the U.K for some reason.

On one hand we are getting the price rise to 7.99 but the presentation didn’t specify the U.K and the presentation slides show pictures of the map of ‘Continental Europe’ only.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/app...des-121020.pdf -

I suspect the fact that BBC have the FX deal for some years and Sky having the pay tv window for 20th Century may prevent Star (assuming it launches) having a strong portfolio at launch.

They're waiting on the trade deal between the EU & UK.
Old 11-12-2020, 14:13   #8338
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Star looks to be a bit like Hulu ie more adult-oriented content. In the US, I believe they're bundled together so having Star as part of Disney + in Europe makes sense and justifies the price rise.

As Disney co-owns Hulu with Comcast (will be 100% Disney owned in a few years) I suspect that it is chosing to role out this type of content under the Star brand instead of Hulu. I can understand if Comcast didn't want to invest in a service which competed with Sky and Peacock if it has a deal to sell its shares in Hulu.

(Spelling of Hulu corrected per Phunkenstein)

Last edited by 1andrew1; 11-12-2020 at 14:31. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-2020, 14:19   #8339
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Star looks to be a bit like Hayu ie more adult-oriented content. In the US, I believe they're bundled together so having Star as part of Disney + in Europe makes sense and justifies the price rise.

As Disney co-owns Hayu with Comcast (will be 100% Disney owned in a few years) I suspect that it is chosing to role out this type of content under the Star brand instead of Hayu. I can understand if Comcast didn't want to invest in a service which competed with Sky and Peacock if it has a deal to sell its shares in Hayu.
Hulu you mean!

Issue with Hulu is that while Disney have operational control, Comcast have their third of the business as you mention.

The deal they signed essentially guarantees Comcast a certain amount (at least 5.8 Billion or the fair market value if above it) and either party can force the other to sell/buy in 2024 or thereabouts. Comcast would more than likely be ok for Hulu to roll out internationally as it they get the benefit of any increase in worth - launching Star on the other hand alleviates that issue as its essentially growing a Disney owned business already so the Star expansion is very much strategic and when Hulu is fully assumed by Disney, they would then have the freedom to rebrand and align the services more.

Last edited by Phunkenstein; 11-12-2020 at 14:34.
Old 11-12-2020, 14:33   #8340
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Could be Ben the £2 price rise is to cover Star but as far as we're aware Star will be a seperate service.