Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Your own web server for free !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Your own web server for free !

Old 05-07-2004, 13:00   #46
Electrolyte01

Re: Your own web server for free !

Thanks for the webserver info, I used to run an FTP server for my mates until I got sick to death with the bandwidth usage. Now I can run an easy website with not much bandwidth being taken away!
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2004, 22:37   #47
heyyo
Inactive

heyyo is an unknown quantity at this point

i have installed the abyss server and i can view it locally, but i dont understand how my friends would access the website...what do they connect too, i know i can set up a free cjb.net or no-ip.com account but what IP address do i enter...how do i find out the correct one.

I am using NTL Broadband 300k
heyyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 23:24   #48
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

Go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ to see what your external IP is.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:21   #49
heyyo
Inactive

heyyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

currently viewing the website locally its - http://127.0.0.1/
when i go to whatismyip.com i do get an I.P address but how do i direct that to the server. I am also behind a router...do i need to anything additional with that...

thanks
heyyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:24   #50
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyo
Hi,

when i go to whatismyip.com i do get an I.P address but how do i direct that to the server. I am also behind a router...do i need to anything additional with that...

thanks
O.K.

you need a domain name that will point to your website. If you have one then all you need to do is update you dns records to point to your external IP address.

Once you have set this up then you will need to map port 80 incoming on your router to the internal IP that your computer is using.

First things first - Do you have a domain name you can use ?
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:50   #51
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

Quote:
Hi,

thanks
All you need to do is port-forward any requests on port 80, assuming you are using this port, it could be 8080.
Once you've done that, start up the webserver and replace 127.0.0.1 in your URL to whatever your IP is.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 11:27   #52
Stuart W
Inactive

Services: BroadBand 4M
Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Stuart W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsurfer
I know your trying to help and all, but wouldnt you be better of getting all the php stuff and mysql as well, for it to run stably you would need 4-5 computers for a stable setup
I ran a forum using PHP and MySQL on a PII450 with 128M of RAM with no problems at all for a whole year before I transfered to a 'real' server.

I used Apache as my WWW server, with PHP enabled, and a nice FREE install of MySQL for the forums database.

You only need to go for multi-server environment when you are running either a HUGE site which has loads of content (like BBC.co.uk), or lots of sites.
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2004, 11:36   #53
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

I would recommend everyone makes sure there copy of PHP is upto date...........

KP
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2005, 22:59   #54
StarMasseur
Inactive

StarMasseur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartbe
O.K.

you need a domain name that will point to your website. If you have one then all you need to do is update you dns records to point to your external IP address.

Once you have set this up then you will need to map port 80 incoming on your router to the internal IP that your computer is using.

First things first - Do you have a domain name you can use ?

I have the same problem , do you know now the solution? thanks
Braun
email
london-uk@lycos.com
please reply to my email

Quote:
i have installed the abyss server and i can view it locally, but i dont understand how my friends would access the website...what do they connect too, i know i can set up a free cjb.net or no-ip.com account but what IP address do i enter...how do i find out the correct one.

I am using NTL Broadband 300k
StarMasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 22:08   #55
F1Driver
Inactive

F1Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Your own web server for free !

Hi,
Has anyone managed to get this to work with ntl broadband?
I have a computer setup as a router/gateway between my cable connection and my private network, and I have tried running a webserver on this computer, but I can't view the webpages from the my WAN ip address (currently 80.3.160.7), but it works from the internal ip address of the server (192.168.0.1) (or localhost). A portscan of my external address suggests that port 80 is open.
I also can't get ssh to work over the ntl connection either.
Does anyone know if ntl are blocking ports or useing some other way to stop me running a home webserver?

Any help would be appreciated

F1 Driver
F1Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 22:18   #56
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

to the forum.

AFAIK you should be able to run a web server. Just to clarify, are you saying you have web server with two network connections, one using DHCP and connected directly to the cable modem (i.e. not via a router), and the other on 192.168.0.1 connected to a local network. You can access the web site on the 'server' as localhost, and from other PCs on your LAN, but not from the 'outside'. What OS are you running? Any firewall software?
Old 01-03-2005, 23:06   #57
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Beware, that whatismyip detects ntl proxies, not your real address.

I find http://www.dslzoneuk.net/ip_checker.php to be quite good.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 19:37   #58
F1Driver
Inactive

F1Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Your own web server for free !

Thank you! (Especially jtwn) I now have the web server working with the correct IP address. I was using the address of the ntl proxy not my computer (I was using www.whatismyip.com)!

JohnHorb you are 100% correct, I had tried with both WinXP/IIS and Linux/Apache, and turned off the firewall (temporarily) to see if that was causing a problem. But it wasn't, it was the proxy.

F1Driver
F1Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2005, 22:05   #59
Caspar
Inactive

Caspar has reached the bronze age
Caspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze ageCaspar has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M
Well here you go, I've written this as I go and it's all fully working on WinXP.
Part 2 will come later, it's even easier to install MySQL but get PHP running first, any problem give me a shout
..did you do a Part 2 to this Richard?
Caspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 23:00   #60
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Hi rich,

did you ever get round to doing part 2?
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote