Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-01-2021, 19:12   #2986
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
At a guess it'll go beyond the aviation industry, potentially to allow access to concerts/sports venues or other close contact large gatherings.
Do we do that for any other virus ?
I think the whole thing is bordering on ridiculous.

Once people are vaccinated, I see no reason to treat it any different to the flu, or other virus infections we immunise ourselfs against.
There is nothing special about covid, other than we had zero immunity to it at the start, that will no longer be the case.

Baby, I was born this way.
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2021, 19:16   #2987
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
And by what mechanism could they ever conclusively prove it? Are you going to volunteer to be in a confined space with others and then deliberately infected, in order to prove it, one way or the other?
Maybe, it's possible, there is a probability, scientifically speaking.
Old 22-01-2021, 19:24   #2988
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Once people are vaccinated, I see no reason to treat it any different to the flu, or other virus infections we immunise ourselfs against.
There is nothing special about covid, other than we had zero immunity to it at the start, that will no longer be the case.
We don't do it for any other virus but the alternative will be to maintain restrictions for longer - and nobody wants that. Alternatively there will be the time/money/effort to rapid test people (including those who are vaccinated) which is a burden that nobody organising an event will want to do.

There will also be concerns around the emergence of a potentially vaccine resistant variation which would place us back at square one with the huge inconvenience, and economic cost, of lockdowns.

So a 'vaccine passport' will be seen as the ultimate mitigation in the short/medium term and the only way to guarantee safety in international travel/large events.

It'll also serve as a 'nudge' for some of the anti-vax brigade.

Last edited by jfman; 22-01-2021 at 19:27.
Old 22-01-2021, 19:36   #2989
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Maybe, it's possible, there is a probability, scientifically speaking.
Anything that is probable must by definition be possible; however, not everything that is possible is going to be probable.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 22-01-2021, 19:46   #2990
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
We don't do it for any other virus but the alternative will be to maintain restrictions for longer ..
Why ? Once its under control, what is the need for this ?

Quote:
There will also be concerns around the emergence of a potentially vaccine resistant variation which would place us back at square one with the huge inconvenience, and economic cost, of lockdowns.
This is possible with any virus (with the flu again being an obvious example).

If we stopped doing things because of potential 'concerns', we would never actually do anything.

It seems the media really have done a great paranoia job on everyone.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 22-01-2021, 19:51   #2991
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

If we stopped doing things because of potential 'concerns', we would never actually do anything.

Totally agree with that, project fear at it's worst.
Old 22-01-2021, 20:03   #2992
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I think it's because it can kill people of all ages (even without any underlying conditions);there are some people in their 30's & 40's in our local hospital right now.

I know flu can kill too, but it's not usually fatal for those under pension age.
Old 22-01-2021, 20:07   #2993
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Yes we need a TB passport, MMR passport, do I also have to prove in the future when I go to any events that I don’t have Ebola?

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Totally agree with that, project fear at it's worst.
That’s the whole point, I’ve said it many times. A frightened population is a more easily controlled population.

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I think it's because it can kill people of all ages (even without any underlying conditions);there are some people in their 30's & 40's in our local hospital right now.

I know flu can kill too, but it's not usually fatal for those under pension age.
Nor is Covid.
Old 22-01-2021, 20:09   #2994
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Yes we need a TB passport, MMR passport, do I also have to prove in the future when I go to any events that I don’t have Ebola?
Yellow Fever.
Quote:
Who should have the yellow fever vaccine
The yellow fever vaccine is recommended for people from 9 months of age who are travelling to:
  • an area where yellow fever is found, including parts of sub-Saharan Africa, South America, Central America and Trinidad in the Caribbean
  • a country that requires you to have a certificate proving you have been vaccinated against yellow fever
WHO
Quote:
International certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis
International Health Regulations (2005)
As of 15 June 2007, the model international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis contained in Annex 6 of the International Health Regulations (2005) replaced the international certificate of vaccination or revaccination against yellow fever contained in appendix 2 of the IHR (1969).
Old 22-01-2021, 20:16   #2995
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
But that is to prove that you have been vaccinated against a disease that is prevalent in a country you are going to.

Do people that live sub-Saharan Africa, South America, Central America and Trinidad in the Caribbean have to prove they’ve been vaccinated against yellow fever to go to the football or cricket, or to leave the country, or go on a cruise?
Old 22-01-2021, 21:05   #2996
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, once it's under control. If/when that happens remains to be seen. When it can be described as 'under control' wicked ve different.

Quote:

None of them have came close to overwhelming the NHS or caused as many death or hospitalisations.

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

Quote:
None of these things present a risk in the UK.

Quote:
That’s the whole point, I’ve said it many times. A frightened population is a more easily controlled population.

Nor is Covid.
I really doubt these capitalists are crashing the world economy to not profit from fear. Except maybe Dido Harding.

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:05 ----------

Quote:
But that is to prove that you have been vaccinated against a disease that is prevalent in a country you are going to.

Do people that live sub-Saharan Africa, South America, Central America and Trinidad in the Caribbean have to prove they’ve been vaccinated against yellow fever to go to the football or cricket, or to leave the country, or go on a cruise?
The alternative is longer lockdown.
Old 22-01-2021, 21:12   #2997
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
None of them have came close to overwhelming the NHS or caused as many death or hospitalisations.
The flu never came close to overwhelming the NHS?

Not in 2015?

https://www.uhs.nhs.uk/aboutthetrust...dmissions.aspx

Not in 2018?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-Britain.html

Or 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ople-week.html

The NHS is always under constant threat of being Overwhelmed by the flu, every year............except this year, because the flu has decided not to bother this year as it’s big brother Covid is here. 2020/2021 the flu is awol.
Old 22-01-2021, 21:13   #2998
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
The flu never came close to overwhelming the NHS?

Not in 2015?

https://www.uhs.nhs.uk/aboutthetrust...dmissions.aspx

Not in 2018?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-Britain.html

Or 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ople-week.html

The NHS is always under constant threat of being Overwhelmed by the flu, every year............except this year, because the flu has decided not to bother this year as it’s big brother Covid is here. 2020/2021 the flu is awol.
Covid does it with the restrictions in place. Flu does it with widespread mixing.

I'm not sure who benefits from this type of widespread denial of the seriousness of Covid.
Old 22-01-2021, 21:18   #2999
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Looks like a few people are disputing the seriousness.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
Old 22-01-2021, 21:47   #3000
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Looks like a few people are disputing the seriousness.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
Every time.
Closed Thread