Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 19-11-2020, 15:36   #76
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Ultimate Oomph with Gig1 for a new customer is £111 a month for 18 months.
Old 19-11-2020, 17:13   #77
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Ultimate Oomph with Gig1 for a new customer is £111 a month for 18 months.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 18:49   #78
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Ok, you can get over 940meg.

I've just tested this with my hub3.0, but it should work with the hub4.0 on gig1 too.

The superhub has an undocumented feature, in that the LAN ports in modem mode are in a balance-rr group. This means that with a switch or router that supports load balancing, you can connect as many of the ports as you like in one group. As this is balance-rr, it is per packet, and even a single download stream is split across the nics.

I've connected my UDM-Pro via a 10G DAC cable in WAN2 to a Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN switch, in SFPPlus3. The other SFP ports are then in a balance-rr bond, bridged with SFPPlus3. The ethernet port is connected to the LAN side of my network, for monitoring and management of the switch, in it's own bridge.

ARP must be disabled on the bond and the bridge.

SFP ports 1-2 have RJ45 1Gig sfps in, these connect to the superhub.

The UDM-Pro obtains it's WAN IP through the switch, and distributes it's wan traffic across the three SH LAN ports, meaning up to 2gbit each way.

Obviously my internet is only 350m, but I can see traffic being split across the two SFP ports during a speedtest. There is no reason I couldn't use the 3rd port to increase the balance-rr group to 3gbit, I just didn't have enough RJ45 SFPs to hand.

I'm now prepped and ready for gig1 or even 2.2gbit in modem mode.

rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 20:57   #79
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Check your bonded group after 6 hours and see if it reverts to a single download link. Mine does on Gig 1 requiring a reboot of the hub
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 22:50   #80
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankrotten View Post
Check your bonded group after 6 hours and see if it reverts to a single download link. Mine does on Gig 1 requiring a reboot of the hub
I'll let you know in the morning, but do you have ARP disabled?
Old 19-11-2020, 23:09   #81
Rankrotten

Quote:
With ARP disabled I have no connection.
Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 22.08.07.png
Old 20-11-2020, 00:40   #82
rtho782
cf.addict

Pretty sure ARP is your issue, as it ends up associating a particular Mac address with the ipv4 address.

I have ARP off and it takes a little while to get an IP at the start, but works fine.
Old 20-11-2020, 00:59   #83
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:

I've just tested this with my hub3.0, but it should work with the hub4.0 on gig1 too.

The superhub has an undocumented feature, in that the LAN ports in modem mode are in a balance-rr group. This means that with a switch or router that supports load balancing, you can connect as many of the ports as you like in one group. As this is balance-rr, it is per packet, and even a single download stream is split across the nics.

I've connected my UDM-Pro via a 10G DAC cable in WAN2 to a Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN switch, in SFPPlus3. The other SFP ports are then in a balance-rr bond, bridged with SFPPlus3. The ethernet port is connected to the LAN side of my network, for monitoring and management of the switch, in it's own bridge.

ARP must be disabled on the bond and the bridge.

SFP ports 1-2 have RJ45 1Gig sfps in, these connect to the superhub.

The UDM-Pro obtains it's WAN IP through the switch, and distributes it's wan traffic across the three SH LAN ports, meaning up to 2gbit each way.

Obviously my internet is only 350m, but I can see traffic being split across the two SFP ports during a speedtest. There is no reason I couldn't use the 3rd port to increase the balance-rr group to 3gbit, I just didn't have enough RJ45 SFPs to hand.

I'm now prepped and ready for gig1 or even 2.2gbit in modem mode.
Thanks.

It would be really helpful if there was an easy to understand diagram of this to allow other members who aren't that technically minded when it comes to networking, like me, to be able to have a go at setting this up.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 08:30   #84
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
Thanks.

It would be really helpful if there was an easy to understand diagram of this to allow other members who aren't that technically minded when it comes to networking, like me, to be able to have a go at setting this up.
The setup I have here assumes you have a router with a 10gigabit WAN, and a 10gbit mikrotik switch running RouterOS, I was kind of assuming people having such hardware would probably be able to follow!

Router is a UDM-Pro.
This has 2x 10gigabit SFP+ ports, 1 WAN and 1 LAN, as well as a gigabit WAN and 8 gigabit LAN. It also takes a hard drive for CCTV recording. It doesn't have wireless - I use dedicated APs for that. It is capable of routing 3.5GBit/sec with all the bells and whistles turned on, IPS/IDS etc, and about 8gbit with DPI but without IPS.

Switch is a Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN This is the cheapest switch they do with 10GbE that runs RouterOS rather than SwitchOS.

In essence what we are doing is taking the 10G WAN from the UDM Pro, splitting it into 2-3 1G links, and connecting that to the SH.

My setup I was splitting it into 2 1G links, as I only had 2 rj45 SFPs around. It looks like this:

The left port goes to the LAN side of the UDM, this is so that I can control, setup, and manage the switch while it is in use.

The next port is unused, if I had another SFP module, which is an "adaptor" like this: then it would go in here.

The next two ports have SFP modules in, these connect to the Superhub.

The final port has a 10GbE DAC cable in, this connects to the UDM Pro.

In the settings menu of the switch, I removed the ports I wanted to use for the "VM Bridge" from the default bridge.

I then created a new bonding group from the two ports with the rj45 SFPs in, making sure to disable ARP, in this image it was with ports 1+2 rather than 2+3 as in the image above:

I then created a new bridge, also disabling ARP:

I then added the interfaces I wanted to use on this bridge to it, namely the bonding group and 1 other SFP+ port, note that in this image I was using SFP+3 not 4 as in the photo of the switch above:

Crappy MSPaint drawing:

Stuff you would need to buy to completely replicate this:
Router, UDM-Pro https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-...-udm-pro/16313
Switch https://linitx.com/product/mikrotik-...1g-4s+in/15664
SFPs https://linitx.com/product/mikrotik-...r-module/14160
DAC cable https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-...dac-sfp+/16375
Example of wireless access points, I have a number of them in the house: https://linitx.com/product/ubiquiti-...njector)/14525

It is probably possible to do this with other hardware that I do not have to test and have never used but is cheaper, but obviously your mileage may vary.

Last edited by rtho782; 20-11-2020 at 08:33.
Old 20-11-2020, 21:03   #85
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

That will be a huge help, thank you.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 21:25   #86
Rankrotten

Quote:
Are your downloads still being shared over the bonded link today?
Old 20-11-2020, 21:45   #87
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankrotten View Post
Are your downloads still being shared over the bonded link today?
Yup
Old 20-11-2020, 22:35   #88
Rankrotten

Quote:
Yup
Must be a Hub 4 quirk as download reverts to one link after six hours. Uploads always use all 4

1.jpg
2.jpg
Old 21-11-2020, 12:44   #89
rtho782
cf.addict

I'm pretty sure it's because you have ARP on. It allows the Hub to see the MAC address behind the switch and route through one link.

When I first connected mine without ARP, I power cycled the hub, and it took ages to obtain an IP, I was like "nope, this doesn't work, lets go unplug an.... WAIT I HAVE A PUBLIC IP"

Like, it took a good few mins to sort it's life out.

If gig1 ever comes to Suffolk I'll let you know how mine goes, although it's currently looking like Cityfibre will reach me first.

Last edited by rtho782; 21-11-2020 at 13:39.
Old 24-11-2020, 14:21   #90
Rankrotten

Hub 4 installed a new update overnight and currently at 01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20

This now keeps the bonded downloads alive across all the LAN ports on the hub