Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 09:22   #6751
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You have been told this multiple times , ESPN has no key UK rights and has a deal with BT for some of its US Sport so no chance of that.

Hulu still offers content from ABC , NBC , Fox and Warner so no chance of that anytime soonin its current form.
Its rather strange that OB who has been preaching to us all about the great virtues of streaming has suddenly got cold feet about Britbox and Disney+.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:14   #6752
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It will be interesting to see what is on offer in the UK. In the US, there will also be the Hulu and ESPN strands available. Without these, Disney + will not be the draw that it is over the pond, although I guess it will still be popular.

According to the link below, 25% of Brits intend to subscribe to Disney+ when it launches over here. That's a pretty good start.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...ing-to-disney/
Software company selling a product to users who might use it for piracy asks customer base if they intend to subscribe to streaming services.

“Of course I do, M’Lud”.

I do agree though, if 16 million people subscribed on day 1 that would be a good start. It’s just extremely unlikely.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:40   #6753
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You have been told this multiple times , ESPN has no key UK rights and has a deal with BT for some of its US Sport so no chance of that.

Hulu still offers content from ABC , NBC , Fox and Warner so no chance of that anytime soonin its current form.
No need to get shirty, muppetman. I know that, and perhaps you should read my post again. All I said was that without ESPN and Hulu, Disney + won't be as popular.

I am well aware that we won't be getting these strands over here for the time being.

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Its rather strange that OB who has been preaching to us all about the great virtues of streaming has suddenly got cold feet about Britbox and Disney+.
Not at all. I have only said that streaming will ultimately take over from linear channels.

That doesn't mean that I will sign up to anything regardless of content.

Disney stuff is of no interest to me and Britbox will be full of old programmes I have already seen or I have no wish to see. Why would I subscribe to either?

You should know by now that I don't watch anything that doesn't hold any interest for me.

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Software company selling a product to users who might use it for piracy asks customer base if they intend to subscribe to streaming services.

“Of course I do, M’Lud”.

I do agree though, if 16 million people subscribed on day 1 that would be a good start. It’s just extremely unlikely.
I just provided a link for the information of forum members. Whether this turns out to be what happens is another matter. I tend to view surveys and opinion polls with rather a lot of caution.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:47   #6754
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Another search for the same survey gave an interesting result:

Some 32 per cent of consumers also said they have previously canceled a subscription because it was too hard to watch the show they like because of their location.

Which begs a question, along the lines of the point made by MM, is to they intend to subscribe to UK Disney+ or another version? Will that be sustainable long term or will they clamp down on it?

As someone who supports the free movement goods and services I’d totally support a scenario where I could subscribe to overseas services instead of ours.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:52   #6755
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Some 32 per cent of consumers also said they have previously canceled a subscription because it was too hard to watch the show they like because of their location.

Which begs a question, along the lines of the point made by MM, is to they intend to subscribe to UK Disney+ or another version? Will that be sustainable long term or will they clamp down on it?

As someone who supports the free movement goods and services I’d totally support a scenario where I could subscribe to overseas services instead of ours.
That great utopian world of streaming that OB describes is not looking so great after all.
Old 08-11-2019, 13:06   #6756
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Disney+’s UK launch date now official: 31st March 2020.

http://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-...on-march-31st/
It's believed the UK version of Disney+ will be priced at around £6 per month.
Old 08-11-2019, 13:28   #6757
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It's believed the UK version of Disney+ will be priced at around £6 per month.
It is believed it will follow the Apple formula of just changing the currency sign. e.g. $6.99, £6.99, and €6.99
Old 08-11-2019, 13:41   #6758
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Disney+’s UK launch date now official: 31st March 2020.

http://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-...on-march-31st/
At launch, Disney+ will be available to stream from its offical website via the usual range of browsers, as well as via dedicated apps for Apple TV, Android devices, Google's Chromecast, iOS and iPadOS devices, PlayStation 4, Roku, and Xbox One consoles.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/disn...k-release-date
Old 08-11-2019, 13:48   #6759
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

What other version will have what UK Disney+ hasn't? What people assume will be the case may be entirely wrong.[COLOR="Silver"]

Geo-locking (which I assume you are referring to) happen if Disney have contractual obligations with another company e.g. Netflix, and as Disney at least with Netflix has cancelled everything on can assume it has happened with others.
Old 08-11-2019, 14:18   #6760
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
What other version will have what UK Disney+ hasn't? What people assume will be the case may be entirely wrong.[COLOR="Silver"]

Geo-locking (which I assume you are referring to) happen if Disney have contractual obligations with another company e.g. Netflix, and as Disney at least with Netflix has cancelled everything on can assume it has happened with others.
MM has already indicated an exhaustive list of compelling content that will be bundled with Disney+ products in the USA that we will not get at outset.

How effective, or otherwise, geo-blocking is varies significantly between services. I recognise that it's a contractual obligation to try however the respondents (at least a sizable proportion) of the ExpressVPN survey will not subscribe if they don't get the version they want.
Old 08-11-2019, 14:19   #6761
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
That great utopian world of streaming that OB describes is not looking so great after all.
I would imagine that the location issue relates to access to the internet and broadband speeds. Nothing new about that. It's all in hand and will not be such an issue in the short to medium term.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 08-11-2019 at 14:23.
Old 08-11-2019, 14:26   #6762
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
At launch, Disney+ will be available to stream from its offical website via the usual range of browsers, as well as via dedicated apps for Apple TV, Android devices, Google's Chromecast, iOS and iPadOS devices, PlayStation 4, Roku, and Xbox One consoles.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/disn...k-release-date
Add firetv to that now as Disney and Amazon have kissed and made up.
Old 08-11-2019, 14:26   #6763
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I would imagine that the location issue relates to access to the internet and broadband speeds. Nothing new about that. It's all in hand and will not be such an issue in the short to medium term.
The location issue relates to content not being available universally. Netflix USA contains significant amounts of content not available in the UK. I, and many others, have used. VPN services to access content not available in the UK to extract better value from streamers. They, obviously, would not approve.
Old 08-11-2019, 14:47   #6764
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
The location issue relates to content not being available universally. Netflix USA contains significant amounts of content not available in the UK. I, and many others, have used. VPN services to access content not available in the UK to extract better value from streamers. They, obviously, would not approve.
I see, thank you; although I must say, our TV channels do not provide all the content available in the US either.

It will be nice if all this changes in the future and we are all able to benefit from true global services. It should be possible, as existing contractual commitments should be discharged within the next five years for the most part.
Old 08-11-2019, 15:08   #6765
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
MM has already indicated an exhaustive list of compelling content that will be bundled with Disney+ products in the USA that we will not get at outset.

How effective, or otherwise, geo-blocking is varies significantly between services. I recognise that it's a contractual obligation to try however the respondents (at least a sizable proportion) of the ExpressVPN survey will not subscribe if they don't get the version they want.
Are you referring to ESPN & Hulu? The are Disney products just as Disney+ is. You seem confused over Disney (a company) and Disney+ (a product).

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Quote:
I think you'll find Disney+ content will be universally available that is why the relase is delayed in the UK and elsewhere.

Quote:
But in the UK, and almost all of Europe, the shining Disney media future is a bit further off. So why the extra wait? Simon Brew, founder and editor of Film Stories magazine, recently highlighted the licensing hurdles that Disney has to go through before a UK launch, and the most notable of those are to do with its existing contracts with European broadcasting behemoth Sky.
Link
Closed Thread