Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Document from 1955 - UltraSonic telephone wire taps

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Fridge Freezer Settings

Old 29-10-2022, 00:53   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Fridge Freezer Settings

What setting should a fridge freezer be on?

I have mine on 4.

What temperature should fridge and freezer be and can someone recommend a thermometer to check please?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-10-2022, 01:00   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Fridge Freezer Settings

4 degrees fridge -18 freezer
Old 29-10-2022, 01:15   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

^ this, although you can get away with having your fridge at 5, or even 6 if you don’t keep stuff in it for any length of time.

If your fridge has an internal dial numbered 1-5 this is a power setting, not a temperature setting. Counter-intuitively with this sort of control, the highest numbered setting (5) will result in the lowest fridge temperature. The setting you require depends on various factors including what you put in the fridge and the termperature of your kitchen. If your fridge has one of these controls rather than a thermostat marked with temperature, then it might be worth getting hold of a fridge thermometer and calibrating it that way.

Or, just go old school and keep the power setting as low as you can get away with. If your food doesn’t spoil before you want to use it then the setting is probably ok (or could afford to go a bit lower).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 01:49   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
^ this, although you can get away with having your fridge at 5, or even 6 if you don’t keep stuff in it for any length of time.

If your fridge has an internal dial numbered 1-5 this is a power setting, not a temperature setting. Counter-intuitively with this sort of control, the highest numbered setting (5) will result in the lowest fridge temperature. The setting you require depends on various factors including what you put in the fridge and the termperature of your kitchen. If your fridge has one of these controls rather than a thermostat marked with temperature, then it might be worth getting hold of a fridge thermometer and calibrating it that way.

Or, just go old school and keep the power setting as low as you can get away with. If your food doesn’t spoil before you want to use it then the setting is probably ok (or could afford to go a bit lower).
Its also worth pointing out that the fridge setting has no bearing on the freezer.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 11:23   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Any general purpose thermometer will be fine. You might even have one in your phone.

I keep the fridge at 5'C, because at 4'C it starts getting frost damage to things like lettuces and potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Its also worth pointing out that the fridge setting has no bearing on the freezer.
Depends on the model. With some, if the room is very cold and the fridge set too warm, it can fail to switch on at all and the freezer will defrost.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 12:31   #6
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

I keep an eye on mine with a wireless fridge/freezer thermometer. On the base station I can see the current and min/max temps(past 24 hrs). Aimed at professional kitchens but is reassuring, especially in hot summer weather.
Fridge setting is at 4.5, with a room temp of 20-23degrees C. Fridge temp is -1 to +3.5, freezer -27 to -20.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 17:58   #7
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

There's no separate setting for freezer.
Old 29-10-2022, 19:06   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Mine has the 1 - 5 dial, we keep it on 3.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2022, 22:42   #9
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

My AEG freezer defaults to -18 the fridge I have no idea.
Old 30-10-2022, 11:50   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I bought a fridge and freezer thermometer, and it sends the temp to a unit on the outside of the fridge. so I see a digital readout of the current temperature.
Old 30-10-2022, 17:06   #11
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Just had these delivered and put them in the fridge and freezer so will leave a few hours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 30-10-2022, 18:04   #12
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Just had these delivered and put them in the fridge and freezer so will leave a few hours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think they might not like being subzero in a freezer. IPX3 is not that waterproof, and button cells voltage and currents drop at low temperatures.

Put it in a sealed plastic bag and only open the bag after the device has returned to room temperature, or condensation will form, finding any tiny leak that exists.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 19:15   #13
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I think they might not like being subzero in a freezer. IPX3 is not that waterproof, and button cells voltage and currents drop at low temperatures.

Put it in a sealed plastic bag and only open the bag after the device has returned to room temperature, or condensation will form, finding any tiny leak that exists.
Alkaline batteries don't like freezer temps, but Lithium are ok, Had to buy lithium AA batteries for my freezer probe.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 20:25   #14
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Well the thermometers have been in there a few hours, The freezer is -16.7*c and fridge is 9.4*c and food does stay fresh.
Old 30-10-2022, 20:31   #15
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

That is not optimal temp for the freezer and the fridge is deffo to warm too. I am guessing the thermometers are wrong. Try swapping them see if the results are the same.