Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HUB 5 High latency since install

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Vodafone 4G backup

Old 11-03-2023, 08:45   #1
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice
Vodafone 4G backup

We had a powercut and when the power came back, shortly after we had internet.
I then noticed it was very slow. It appears to be using my Vodafone 4G instead of Virgin Broadband . I have a SIM only contract with Vodafone.
When I enter the ip address for my hub 4 it takes me to a login page for a Vodafone hub. I have never had a Vodafone hub or Vodafone broadband and now can’t get into my hub or get it to connect to virgin.
Instead of the 980Mbps I was getting before the powercut I am now gett Less than 20. Speedtest shows I am connected to Vodafone not virgin.
How do I get my hub to connect back to my broadband?
Help?
Thanks
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2023, 11:28   #2
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice
Re: Vodafone 4G backup

Well, I ‘forgot’ the network and rejoined and all is now fine (I’m now getting 1145Mbps)
I’ve no idea how it was connecting to the Vodafone network as I don’t have a hub and turned off the personal hotspot on my phone and it was still connecting.
Anyway, all sorted now.
Old 11-03-2023, 13:34   #3
bbxxl
cf.addict

It gets worse.
My other iPad was still connecting to Vodafone so I tried the same. Still Vodafone.
On my phone I could connect to the hub so I changed the network name in case I somehow had something else connecting to Vodafone wiith the same network SSID.
Now all my devices are connecting to my hub with the new SSID and the hub is connecting to Vodafone not Virgin.
I have rebooted the hub and am running oit of ideas…
Old 11-03-2023, 14:03   #4
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Have you tried turning off the Vodafone device??
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 14:28   #5
bbxxl
cf.addict

The only Vodafone device I have is the SIM in my iPhone. It is turned off and I still have a Vodafone connection through my hub.
Old 11-03-2023, 14:53   #6
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The personal hotspot on an iPhone wouldn’t show a Vodafone hub login. It wouldn’t (by default at least) even operate on the same IP as your hub.

Could your iOS devices have connected to a neighbour’s Wi-Fi? If you’d connected with one in the past your iCloud Keychain would have shared the password with the other device.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 15:13   #7
bbxxl
cf.addict

No, I managed to change the SSID on my hunt and my devices are connected to my new SSID which is connected to Vodafone…
Old 11-03-2023, 20:37   #8
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Interesting.

I am now with Vodafone/CityFibre. Part of their service is 4G backup. Instead of their hub I use my own dual WAN router with VF's 4G Sim dongle on USB. We have had one short outage in 18 months. 4G came in seamlessly at 45Mb. Like you I only noticed because speeds were slower, but when I logged onto my Asus router it went directly to it, not to the the VF Hub GUI. This is probably because the VF backup is integral to my ASUS set up.

The only cause for your issue that I can think of is that you have somehow left your VF mobile in WiFi Hotspot mode and that your Hub 4 and other devices are using it as WAN automatically connecting to it using connection credentials used on a past occasion. (Hub 4 connecting to WAN by WiFi? Is that a thing?) Check that your phone is not acting as a WiFi hotspot. If in doubt, shut it down and then reboot everything else. With no other WAN connections apart from VM surely they will reconfigure.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 21:15   #9
bbxxl
cf.addict

I turned off my hotspot, then I turned off my phone (with my only Vodafone SIM in it) off completely.
I was still connected to Vodafone through my Virgin hub!
Old 11-03-2023, 22:51   #10
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
I turned off my hotspot, then I turned off my phone (with my only Vodafone SIM in it) off completely.
I was still connected to Vodafone through my Virgin hub!
OK. In that case a complete factory reset of your Hub 4 is needed. If that doesn't work, I'm flummoxed.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:29   #11
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Please can you post a traceroute?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:40   #12
bbxxl
cf.addict

Here’s a traceroute
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6A809FAF-D029-471A-9920-DE18E9DF1D0E.jpeg (184.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 12-03-2023, 11:45   #13
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Well you're definitely connected to Vodafone somehow. Have you tried turning off the hub and see if you still have internet access?

If that proves that you are connected through the hub, pinhole reset it.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 15:32   #14
bbxxl
cf.addict

If I turn off the hub I lose internet. It is definitely going through the hub.
I am reluctant to reset the hub as, if I do and it reconnects to Vodafone, I then cant change the SSID/password and none of my devices will be able to connect
Old 12-03-2023, 21:00   #15
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

Do you have power line adaptors by any chance? I have witnessed them before connecting to a neighbours broadband over the power grid.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote