Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Liz Truss Resigns [Who'll be the next Prime Minister?]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Liz Truss Resigns [Who'll be the next Prime Minister?]
Closed Thread

Old 23-10-2022, 23:18   #1621
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Liz Truss Resigns [Who'll be the next Prime Minister?]

Tory voters are not going to support Sunak, I’ve voted Tory since Cameron, I’m not voting for a Tory party lead by Sunak.

This is almost as bad a situation after the May general election, when we had a Brexit mandate but no one wanted to do it.

Sunak can do nothing, he’s the PM no one wanted, he helped cause the current economic crisis, he has no connection with the electorate.

In the words of David Steele. Starmer, go back to your constituencies, and prepare for government.
Old 23-10-2022, 23:28   #1622
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Tory voters are not going to support Sunak, I’ve voted Tory since Cameron, I’m not voting for a Tory party lead by Sunak.

This is almost as bad a situation after the May general election, when we had a Brexit mandate but no one wanted to do it.

Sunak can do nothing, he’s the PM no one wanted, he helped cause the current economic crisis, he has no connection with the electorate.

In the words of David Steele. Starmer, go back to your constituencies, and prepare for government.
I'm no fan of Sunak and agree he has little connection with most of the electorate and the next election is Starmer's to lose.

But the current crisis was caused by Truss and her former Chancellor Kwarteng. Sunak, like many, warned that Truss's over-borrowing would spook the markets. He wasn't wrong.
Old 23-10-2022, 23:37   #1623
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s convenient he had this realisation tonight and not 2.05pm tomorrow.
Why? I don’t see the timing making much difference, if any.

He seems to have tried to exact a price from Sunak, been sent packing, and spent the afternoon contemplating whether getting the job back is worth the cost. Apparently it isn’t, which is somewhat lucky for us judging by immediate market reaction.
Old 23-10-2022, 23:53   #1624
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

He seems to have tried to exact a price from Sunak, been sent packing, and spent the afternoon contemplating whether getting the job back is worth the cost. Apparently it isn’t, which is somewhat lucky for us judging by immediate market reaction.
The FT reports Johnson told Sunak that he would get the 100 votes, the members would then choose him over Sunak, so Sunak should step down in the interests of party unity. However, at that stage Sunak had double the number of votes of Johnson so rebuffed him.

Quote:
It’s convenient he had this realisation tonight and not 2.05pm tomorrow.
Indeed.
Quote:
Many Tory MPs believed he [Johnson] was acting in his own interest: to avoid the prospect of a humiliating defeat at the hands of his old rival, Sunak, when the votes were counted on Monday.
https://www.ft.com/content/80a44533-...b-83d9b434d184
Old 24-10-2022, 00:07   #1625
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Well we’ll have endless fun speculating for days anyway. Truth is we’ll never really know.
Old 24-10-2022, 01:21   #1626
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Rishi Sunak as PM? "Dear, oh dear".
Old 24-10-2022, 06:20   #1627
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

Timing saves him the humiliation of revealing he didn’t have 100 votes despite what his team were peddling all weekend.

The extrapolation of Guido’s figures relies upon the leap of faith that around 80% of party office holders who “have to remain anonymous” coming out for him almost immediately while only about 20% of other MPs had by 9pm last night.

We will indeed never know, conveniently and entirely by design.
Old 24-10-2022, 09:02   #1628
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
The thing that surprises me about this is that Sunak is more of a Tory than a lot of others. Wants to cut spending and taxes generally. You've been talking of furlough spending but that was more something he had to do, it's why he was generally against the lockdowns.

I don't like him. He'll be less likely to do anything bold and against the election mandate. Although it's harsh to hold someone's wealth against them I do believe his riches and American green card also disconnect him from the public a bit.

He seems to be one of the many politicians whose in it because they think it's a cool gig rather than motivated by a cause. I think it's likely he may have left at the next election to do something else if he thought his time had passed. Like Cameron, like Osborne, and David Miliband. People whose motivation was to be PM and not to be in Parliament or public service. Contrast that to May who stuck around and Brown who stunk around for a bit and then did public service-type stuff after he left.

---------- Post added at 08:41 ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 ----------

Quote:

It seems odd to have that moment of reflection so late in the process. Johnson flew back early from his holiday for this after all, he wouldn't do that just because he is technically still an MP.

---------- Post added at 09:02 ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 ----------

If the Tories really care about the economy they would elect Mordaunt thus making me several hundred pounds richer.
Old 24-10-2022, 09:19   #1629
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The thing that surprises me about this is that Sunak is more of a Tory than a lot of others. Wants to cut spending and taxes generally. You've been talking of furlough spending but that was more something he had to do, it's why he was generally against the lockdowns.

I don't like him. He'll be less likely to do anything bold and against the election mandate. Although it's harsh to hold someone's wealth against them I do believe his riches and American green card also disconnect him from the public a bit.

He seems to be one of the many politicians whose in it because they think it's a cool gig rather than motivated by a cause. I think it's likely he may have left at the next election to do something else if he thought his time had passed. Like Cameron, like Osborne, and David Miliband. People whose motivation was to be PM and not to be in Parliament or public service. Contrast that to May who stuck around and Brown who stunk around for a bit and then did public service-type stuff after he left.
I'm sure he'll be a competent caretaker Prime Minister who will grow the Conservative poll ratings but he won't win at the next general election. His weakness is he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and is seen as an out of touch member of the global elite.

Quote:
It seems odd to have that moment of reflection so late in the process. Johnson flew back early from his holiday for this after all, he wouldn't do that just because he is technically still an MP.
Exactly.

Quote:
If the Tories really care about the economy they would elect Mordaunt thus making me several hundred pounds richer.
Let's not forget the elephant in the room which has got the Conservative Party into its current mess.

They would also seek a better trading relationship with Europe if they really cared about the economy. Let's not forget that Johnson's rushed Brexit deal is costing us £40bn in tax revenue every year and we're the only G7 nation not to have recovered to pre-Covid levels.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 24-10-2022 at 09:23.
Old 24-10-2022, 09:27   #1630
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

So I guess the next question is - assuming Rishi loses the next election - does he walk and who replaces him then? Becoming the fifth leader in ten years.
Old 24-10-2022, 09:42   #1631
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
So I guess the next question is - assuming Rishi loses the next election - does he walk and who replaces him then? Becoming the fifth leader in ten years.
Cometh the hour, cometh the egomaniac…

Quote:
I believe I have much to offer but I am afraid that this is simply not the right time.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 24-10-2022, 09:42   #1632
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

If they lose then it depends who remains in Parliament if if they go to the One Nation Tories or the Culture War Tories.
Old 24-10-2022, 09:47   #1633
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I doubt Sunak would want to stay on as Starmer will doubtless be in power for five years, maybe ten. Ditto Johnson, not sure about Mordaunt. Perhaps she could keep the seat warm as a capable pair of hands until new Conservative talent emerges in the late 2020s?

---------- Post added at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 ----------

Quote:
If they lose then it depends who remains in Parliament if if they go to the One Nation Tories or the Culture War Tories.
Didn't Johnson try and do both simultaneously?
Old 24-10-2022, 09:58   #1634
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

For all his faults I don't think Johnson was a natural to the culture war stuff or used it that much. Mostly because although I think his own ego and self-interest override everything else he is naturally a liberally (as in the European, not American, usage of the term) minded politician. That's why he was a good fit for the Mayor of London at the time.

But there is a generation of MP - from the 2010 and 2015 intake - that are more at home with it such as Braverman. Whereas I think Johnson would all try to use divisive language as a last resort in the fact of falling support I think people like Braverman reach for it as a matter of instinct. Their politics is much more about enemies and threats rather than building anything.
Old 24-10-2022, 11:52   #1635
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Penny’s supporters claiming 90. She must have the same 50 friends from another town as Boris.
Closed Thread