Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | how to find the wireless pci card for linksys WRT54G-uk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

how to find the wireless pci card for linksys WRT54G-uk

Old 15-03-2005, 12:33   #1
jerenus
Inactive

Services: 20MB From NTL
jerenus is an unknown quantity at this point
how to find the wireless pci card for linksys WRT54G-uk

hi, how can i find which would work with Linksys WRT54G - UK
i want to buy this router, but i can't find which wireless PCI card will work with this router

please tell me how do i find it
or recomment it
thanks
jerenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2005, 12:36   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: how to find the wireless pci card for linksys WRT54G-uk

What about one of these?
or These
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 12:37   #3
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Any that are standards compliant should. The linksys mentioned by paul shoudl have 0 compatibility problems.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 12:38   #4
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerenus
i want to buy this router, but i can't find which wireless PCI card will work with this router

or recomment it
thanks
Any A, B, or G wireless wi-fi adaptor will work (obvisouly only get a B or G as they are the fastest).

I have that router, and it works fine with my Apple powerbook airport wireless adaptor, and the belkin 7050 USB adaptor.

Basically the protocols they use (the language the devices use to talk to one another) are the same, so any devices within the same group, A, B, or G, will work with one another... That router can talk to any of those 3, but only buy a B or G adaptor though.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 12:38   #5
jerenus
Inactive

is this a same one
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=45602
Old 15-03-2005, 12:38   #6
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:

or recomment it
thanks
Pretty much any PCI wireless card that support 802.11b or 802.11g will work, however, for security purposes look for cards that also support WEP or WPA encryption (WPA is better) as this will allow you to secure your network.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 12:39   #7
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

or even these

Quote:
Looks like the same card
Old 15-03-2005, 12:41   #8
jerenus
Inactive

is this fine for this router/

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=45023
Old 15-03-2005, 13:17   #9
jerenus
Inactive

why no one is recommend anything
please recomment any pci wireless card which can work very fast with cable modem and ntl connecction and with WRT54G router
thanks
Old 15-03-2005, 13:25   #10
Paul K
Inactive

Quote:
why no one is recommend anything
please recomment any pci wireless card which can work very fast with cable modem and ntl connecction and with WRT54G router
thanks
The card you found a link to is fine for wireless and is full compatible with the router as it's the same manufacturer. Set up should be relatively easy but if you have any problems with it then you can always come back and ask or ask before you start.
Both the ebuyer links are the router and card that you asked about so yes both those items will be an ideal pairing for what you want.
Old 15-03-2005, 13:29   #11
jerenus
Inactive

thanks

i'll go with that linksys pci card
thanks
but its review was terrible because most of them were had a problem with it
why is that?
Old 15-03-2005, 13:38   #12
Paul K
Inactive

Overall the PCI card and router both got very good ratings. The reviews go on for several pages and yes there were bad reviews on the first page but on the following pages there must have been a lot more good reviews for the overall rating to be so good.
You have to remember that
A. No two PCs behave in exactly the same way
B. Not everyone installs the hardware per the manual instructions. These people then complain that it didn't work when they could have caused the problem.
and
C. Sometimes hardware doesn't do exactly what it should.
Old 15-03-2005, 15:30   #13
jerenus
Inactive

thanks, today i have learned a lot

if i want to connect all in one printer wirelessly what do i have to do

is this router can access the printer wirelessly?
or do i need any other hardware?
Old 15-03-2005, 16:17   #14
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Get a wireless print server. Though if it is an all in one (scanner / fax / printer) then the functionality may well be limited.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 16:21   #15
jerenus
Inactive

thanks
i will try to get it