Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Networking... help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Networking... help!

Old 10-02-2005, 16:27   #1
goblin
Inactive

goblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nice
Wireless Networking... help!

Hi,

I am merely at the planning stage in this. With no previous experience of Networking never mind the Wireless variety.

I am looking for recommendations of equipment for the following;

A means of Wirelessly connecting my NTL Cable Modem wirelessly to a laptop (running WinXP Home) and a standalone computer (running Win98se). But whatever equipment I choose, has to be compatible with ADSL (just in case NTL implement a hardcap).

If there isn't a product compatible with both NTL Cable and ADSL. Then recommendations as to the cheapest NTL wireless solution would be appreciated.

Can anyone offer any advice/recommendations on such equipment?

Thank you!

edit - spelling
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2005, 16:48   #2
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Wireless Networking... help!

Linksys WRT54G
This is a router only so if you move to ADSL you will need to get a ADSL modem with ethernet output (not USB) but will do the job well. This normally means you have to my your ADSL modem not get a freebee from your ISP, but the freebee is usually part of the upfront install cost, so look for the right ADSL ISP (which as a b/w user I'm sure you will be) and they will have a lower install cost and no inclusive ADSL modem.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 17:19   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Agreed, I'm using the Linksys one at the moment and it's a really good product.

Don't try and shortcut the process by getting a wireless ADSL modem now though as it won't be compatible with the NTL setup.
Far better to get a wireless router and then get the ADSL modem if you need on as SMHarman has said above.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 14:09   #4
goblin
Inactive

goblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nice

Hi,

Time for me to resurect this old topic. Thanks to those that replied, sorry I didn't manage to get back to it sooner.

I need further advice, as I am receiving conflicting opinions on whether this linksys WRT54G is the most suitable router for my needs.

What I wish to do with my wireless network is the following. I need to connect my laptop when in another room, but I would like to be able to connect back and be able to control my desktop. I would also like to be able to invite a friend to either play alongside or against me on the laptop, whilst he\she shall be on the desktop. At a later date, I wish to add items such as an xbox (for use as a PVR ie: mythtv) to the network as well as a PS2 and Gamecube from time to time. Also, if I am sharing my connection with someone on the desktop and they are downloading, I would like the ability to limit how much bandwidth they use without it impinging upon what I am doing. As well as provide me a stable, secure network (an inbuilt firewall would be an advantage I suppose?). And finally, I wish to retain the ability to change to ADSL should it be required.

With all this in mind. I phoned various suppliers and sought their advice and received replies that I don't need a Linksys WRT54G, Oh no... I need either a Belkin F5D7230, D-Link DI-624, Belkin F5D7231uk4, or a Netgear FWG114P apparantly?!

It would seem that the Linksys WRT54G is known to be "a poor performer", "unreliable", "unstable when used on NTL", "requires constant rebooting" etc etc. All of that said, after reading posts on these forums amongst others, it would seem that most routers are unreliable etc.

My questions therefore are:

a)Am I expecting too much from this router?

b)Which other router is likely to match my needs if not the Linksys WRT54G?

c)Is there a router manufactured that is known to be robust, easy to install and use etc?

Help!

Thank you!
Old 29-03-2005, 14:24   #5
TigaSefi
Inactive

TigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation eraTigaSefi has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to TigaSefi

I think all routers are to a degree, unreliable and unstable. Just have to make a decision to whom you want to work with the most. I have brought a complete linksys system yesterday for my ADSL wireless setup and I hope it goes well.
TigaSefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 14:30   #6
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

The only time i have rebooted my WRT54G is when I had to perform a full reset because I had lost the password.

It occasionally gets rebooted as a result of power cuts in the area but it has been a set and forget product.

Linksys has a wireless gaming adaptor which is supposed to be good for connecting PS2 / XBox etc

The router has some whizzy thing on it that allows port setup easily for gaming and the like. Any other wireless device will connect to it (I have an apple AirPortExpress connected to mine streaming itunes).

Bandwith limitations and QoS are not part of the functionality, you would need to do this at a desktop level. I'm not a gamer, but I have not noticed performance issues with multiple access, even when shifting 70Mb of files from one internal PC to another and then running a backup (so shifting it again to a backup drive), or while streaming itunes wirelessly to the HiFi and surfing / working on docs.

The only time the connection seems to drop on me is when opening 100+Mb Outlook PST files.

So I would still state that the WRT54G will fit the bill but it's your benjamins
Old 29-03-2005, 16:05   #7
Gooch
Inactive

Gooch is on a distinguished roadGooch is on a distinguished road

Goblin

I was in exactly the same situation as you. I just bought a Sweex router from Scan. My wireless network was up and running in minutes. And its pretty cheap.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=143929
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 16:14   #8
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

Any of the ones you listed will be fine although you'll get better wireless performance from pre N routers. AFAIK there are no commodity routers that will do the QoS traffic control you want, to get this you'll need to pay a lot more. (like £250) Nearly all have integrated switch ports to give you the local network connections you need.

I've got a Belkin and it is stable enough for me. Your biggest problem is likely to be the wireless range which generally is obscenely over stated.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 16:24   #9
SMHarman
Inactive

The linksys BEFSR81 does, but that is wired only so you would need to set up a WAP in addition to the router.
Can you do QoS over Wireless?
Old 29-03-2005, 16:37   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

The Linksys (as per my signature) has been a reliable, secure, rock steady, unfaltering performer since day 1. I can't comment on the other aspects of what you are trying to do but I certainly wouldn't fail to recommend it to anybody on the basis of my own personal experiences. I would even stake my reputation on it.
Old 29-03-2005, 23:42   #11
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

No probs with the Belkin either.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 00:03   #12
ultimate
cf.geek

Services: 200Mb,TV FH V6 and Phone
ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough

I am thinking of setting up wireless too, do these routers you have mentioned work with my STB? I am connected using USB Ethernet at the moment, I have thousands of questions to ask, I'll save them for later.
ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 00:14   #13
Raistlin
Inactive

The routers mentioned should work with your STB but you will probably (read "almost definitly") need to switch to an Ethernet connection.
Old 30-03-2005, 01:47   #14
ultimate
cf.geek

Services: 200Mb,TV FH V6 and Phone
ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough

My apologies to Goblin for highjacking the thread.

As for the PC would you recommend the PCI wireless card, or the USB wireless "thingy"?

I do not know the logistics of installing a wireless router, I presume they have sufficient instructions with the router to enable me to link up all my computers, once this is done, do I just plug in the router to where my USB to Ethernet adaptor is plugging in now, (a wall socket which leads to my STB), and I also presume re booting the STB and registering the router with NTL and that should be it, am I right, or have I left out load of steps?
ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2005, 16:53   #15
goblin
Inactive

Thanks to everyone for their replies once again. Much appreciated

To:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW
Any of the ones you listed will be fine although you'll get better wireless performance from pre N routers.
Can you please explain what a "Pre N router" is please?

Quote:
AFAIK there are no commodity routers that will do the QoS traffic control you want, to get this you'll need to pay a lot more. (like £250)
Ouch! And here was I thinking that a £100 for a router was expensive

Quote:
I've got a Belkin and it is stable enough for me.
Having read that Belkin provide "Lifetime Support" somewhere or other, I was inclined to go with them immediately on that basis alone. I have a feeling that I maybe needing them.

Quote:
Your biggest problem is likely to be the wireless range which generally is obscenely over stated.
In reality, if it will find me when I am sat between 20 and 30 feet away, all be it through one wall of 8 inches or so. I shall be happy.

One thing I haven't investigated however, is how I connect the desktop to the router? I have a Motorola Surfboard CM, which is presently connected to a NIC inside my desktop. Do I need to purchase any additional cables? Or is everything I need included in with the router?

Any hints?

Thanks again.