Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What could be causing the constant SH3 reboots?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

What could be causing the constant SH3 reboots?

Old 16-04-2019, 14:03   #16
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: What could be causing the constant SH3 reboots?

They are all maxing out. I hope the technician understands what’s happening.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2019, 14:17   #17
apb27
Inactive

apb27 is on a distinguished roadapb27 is on a distinguished road

I'll make him understand

Thanks for your help!
apb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 17:30   #18
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

There isnt anything he can do to fix it, it is an area issue which needs fixing by networks and he needs to escalate it.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 17:42   #19
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The one thing he can try is a different tap point at the cabinet. He can also check the external Omnibox for loose connection or rust. He says neighbours haven't got issues.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 17:55   #20
apb27
Inactive

Ah OK. The brown box outside looks fine at the moment, and hopefully a tap change will be enough, especially since the neighbours are not having the same issue. But i'll keep that in mind
Old 16-04-2019, 18:37   #21
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
There isnt anything he can do to fix it, it is an area issue which needs fixing by networks and he needs to escalate it.
Not necessarily. High upstream can be caused by 1001 different things. When I was a service tech, the network I worked on was predominantly below ground. The biggest issue of high upstream was a corroded F connector in the pit. Then you get stuff like drop cable damaged years before, the splice pack isn’t quite sealed properly, so the F within is corroded. Of course it could be a network issue. But of the jobs I went to for high upstream, 90% were drop cable or anything connected to it towards the house. The other 10% were network issues.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 12:27   #22
apb27
Inactive

New engineer went straight for the cabinet after seeing what was up with the upstream, resolved it very swiftly by moving to the second tap (was on the bottom previously). Will leave the final verdict for later tonight once I've let it refresh and done some uploading but all good so far
Old 17-04-2019, 12:45   #23
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

No it's not good. If you are only using one upstream channel there is still a problem and he should have checked it before he left. You should be using four upstream channels and they should running qam 64. The fact that the one channel you are connected to is qam 16 also shows there is a problem. Ring tech support back and tell them he hasnt fixed it and you want him back today. You might be content with it atm but i guarantee it is going to die on you later.
Old 17-04-2019, 12:48   #24
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
No it's not good. If you are only using one upstream channel there is still a problem and he should have checked it before he left. You should be using four upstream channels and they should running qam 64. The fact that the one channel you are connected to is qam 16 also shows there is a problem. Ring tech support back and tell them he hasnt fixed it and you want him back today. You might be content with it atm but i guarantee it is going to die on you later.
Yes he needs to be on 4 upstreams so he still has a big issue but many many people can still only get qam 16 and have no issues like myself, i am not sure why i can only get qam 16 and this is after a repull with a thicker cable, but i am not close to the cabinet and my internet works perfectly.

apb27 you really need to sort this out properly and make sure you check your levels before the engineer leaves to make sure it all looks correct as you need to phone them up again now.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 17-04-2019 at 12:52.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 12:53   #25
apb27
Inactive

I did mention that and he cited it was because he had tinkered around the cabinet. I had 4 upstream channels earlier but the modem resets made it revert back to 1. I'm expecting it to change later today and maybe after I've reset it myself but he's long gone now!
Old 17-04-2019, 12:54   #26
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb27 View Post
I did mention that and he cited it was because he had tinkered around the cabinet. I had 4 upstream channels earlier but the modem resets made it revert back to 1. I'm expecting it to change later today and maybe after I've reset it myself but he's long gone now!
That bold part is bollocks.

It should lock onto them straight away if it hasn't then trust us you still have a big issue and nothing has been fixed apart from lowering your upstream power level.

Your engineer is useless and really should have escalated this.
Old 17-04-2019, 12:58   #27
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
He hasnt done anything at all. The fact that you are still on one upstream means there is a problem and it is pure coincidence that it is in spec at the moment. It is all going to go tits up later so the sooner you make the phone call the better.
Old 17-04-2019, 12:58   #28
apb27
Inactive

Well damn. I'll keep an eye on it, currently stressing it out heavily throughout the day.
Old 17-04-2019, 13:00   #29
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Well damn. I'll keep an eye on it, currently stressing it out heavily throughout the day.
Don't waste your time, reboot the modem again if it is still only locked onto 1 upstream and if it doesn't lock onto 4 then call them up and get pissed off with them for messing you around.
Old 17-04-2019, 13:06   #30
apb27
Inactive

Thanks for the help everyone!