Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Shootings at 2 New Zealand Mosques

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Shootings at 2 New Zealand Mosques

Old 30-03-2019, 13:21   #31
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Shootings at 2 New Zealand Mosques

It's more about the behaviour of the group that is not allowed to be criticised.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2019, 13:45   #32
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I think you're deliberately avoiding my point about incompatible cultures. The Maoris were furthest from my thinking (and I've worked there too).

Were a certain culture to confine itself to its region of origin, then there is less opportunity for the zealots of that culture to bring out the worst unrepresentative of the European culture as perpetated by that Aussie murderer.

This sounds an awful lot like victim blaming.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 13:54   #33
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This sounds an awful lot like victim blaming.
How can I be doing that? I'm at a much higher level of abstraction.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 15:23   #34
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I think you're deliberately avoiding my point about incompatible cultures. The Maoris were furthest from my thinking (and I've worked there too).

Were a certain culture to confine itself to its region of origin, then there is less opportunity for the zealots of that culture to bring out the worst unrepresentative of the European culture as perpetated by that Aussie murderer.

Wow!

"If only they had stayed where they came from, this wouldn’t have happened"..
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 15:26   #35
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
How can I be doing that? I'm at a much higher level of abstraction.

I think you think you’re being abstract, but there’s nothing abstract about four dozen people being murdered for practicing a religion outside of its region of origin.*

“Reducing opportunity” is the same argument used to insinuate that a woman’s choice of Friday night outfit is a factor when she gets raped. You simply can’t advocate simplistic cause and effect arguments in situations where humans are involved. We are moral beings; we don’t operate from instinct, we have moral understanding of one kind or another and we make moral choices.

If a man rapes a woman, that is entirely due to his disregard for what society considers morally abhorrent; likewise if a man guns down a lot of Muslims.

* Fun fact, Christianity also originated in the Middle East, as did Judaism for that matter.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 17:29   #36
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Tut, Tut Hugh and Chris. The origins of Judeo-Christianity has nothing to do with this other than they did not become modern day belief systems that led to zealots being terrorists.

If certain cultures are incompatible, that should be recognised rather than dancing ound the subject with love thy neighbour platitudes.

Old 30-03-2019, 19:11   #37
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Tut, Tut Hugh and Chris. The origins of Judeo-Christianity has nothing to do with this other than they did not become modern day belief systems that led to zealots being terrorists.

If certain cultures are incompatible, that should be recognised rather than dancing ound the subject with love thy neighbour platitudes.
You are being too simplistic here. Define "culture"? You are assigning the same moral code and religious dogma to all Muslims. They, as we do in the West, have a spectrum of moral & belief constructs: some facist and evil, most benign and inclusive.

The far-right trap, repeated throughout history, is one of: "look, they are not like us, it must be their fault".
Old 30-03-2019, 19:33   #38
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You are being too simplistic here. Define "culture"? You are assigning the same moral code and religious dogma to all Muslims. They, as we do in the West, have a spectrum of moral & belief constructs: some facist and evil, most benign and inclusive.
[SEPH]: How can you say that? Where have I said that? I'm saying that the cultures are so different that one of them generates zealots who interpret their culture into terrorism. The non-zealots are obviously victims too as events have shown not only through murderous acts but by being shunned for their ethnicity.

The far-right trap, repeated throughout history, is one of: "look, they are not like us, it must be their fault". [SEPH]: If your statement is a generalisation confined to the far-right, then I agree. If you are associating me with the far-right, you'd need to apologise.

Old 30-03-2019, 20:01   #39
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think you think you’re being abstract, but there’s nothing abstract about four dozen people being murdered for practicing a religion outside of its region of origin.*

“Reducing opportunity” is the same argument used to insinuate that a woman’s choice of Friday night outfit is a factor when she gets raped. You simply can’t advocate simplistic cause and effect arguments in situations where humans are involved. We are moral beings; we don’t operate from instinct, we have moral understanding of one kind or another and we make moral choices.

If a man rapes a woman, that is entirely due to his disregard for what society considers morally abhorrent; likewise if a man guns down a lot of Muslims.

* Fun fact, Christianity also originated in the Middle East, as did Judaism for that matter.
There are MANY cases where Muslims kill other Muslims, simply for being the wrong "type" of Muslim. There are MANY other attacks on Mosques(and Churches) by ..... Muslims. And that is before you get into the attacks of various kinds on non-Muslims for being non-Muslim by ..... Muslims.
Old 30-03-2019, 20:44   #40
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
There are MANY cases where Muslims kill other Muslims, simply for being the wrong "type" of Muslim. There are MANY other attacks on Mosques(and Churches) by ..... Muslims. And that is before you get into the attacks of various kinds on non-Muslims for being non-Muslim by ..... Muslims.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 21:04   #41
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that what I said isn't true?
Old 30-03-2019, 21:14   #42
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that what I said isn't true?
How is it relevant to what Chris said? He said people are responsible for their own actions.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 21:52   #43
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
How is it relevant to what Chris said? He said people are responsible for their own actions.
It's highly relevant to what I said. Some people are dancing around the subject because it is potentially delicate, imo.

Old 31-03-2019, 11:38   #44
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
?
If you embed your replies in someone else's then this happens

As to your point: if you generalise then, as I mentioned, you can fall into the historical trap I outlined.

You talk about "incompatible cultures". This has no real world meaning as it is too coarse grained to apply in any meaningful sense. It is the Islamist ideology that is the danger here not the Muslim population per se. This distinction must always be made ..
Old 31-03-2019, 11:51   #45
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don't see the relevance of this post and it doesn't address Chris's point that you cannot blame the victims of crimes. And, you could cut and paste "Christian" in place of "Muslim" in that sentence if you wanted to.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 31-03-2019 at 12:54. Reason: correct "thread" to "post"
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote