Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windrush generation

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Windrush generation

Old 17-04-2018, 18:39   #16
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Windrush generation

Interestingly, despite saying in Parliament yesterday how terrible this situation was and how she will change things, it was under Theresa May (when she was at the Home Office) that the paragraph in the law that would have prevented all this was deleted
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2018, 18:50   #17
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Interestingly, despite saying in Parliament yesterday how terrible this situation was and how she will change things, it was under Theresa May (when she was at the Home Office) that the paragraph in the law that would have prevented all this was deleted
Which paragraph was that? The date of destruction was linked to the moving of offices. That could just as easily have happened in 2000. It would have been initiated before May 2010. That sort of thing doesn't happen overnight, especially where new offices are being built.

Not sure I would get away with getting a passport simply on providing my name.

There are still plenty of people who NEVER had any landing slips because they came from elsewhere or by another method.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 18:51   #18
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

It would be pretty easy to solve this by granting anyone who had an arrival card as part of the Windrush programme automatic right to remain/citizenship. That was the point inviting their families over in the first place.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 19:21   #19
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It would be pretty easy to solve this by granting anyone who had an arrival card as part of the Windrush programme automatic right to remain/citizenship. That was the point inviting their families over in the first place.
Yes, the Government in power at the time failed to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 19:35   #20
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Which paragraph was that? The date of destruction was linked to the moving of offices. That could just as easily have happened in 2000. It would have been initiated before May 2010. That sort of thing doesn't happen overnight, especially where new offices are being built.

Not sure I would get away with getting a passport simply on providing my name.

There are still plenty of people who NEVER had any landing slips because they came from elsewhere or by another method.
According to Channel 5, the changes to the rules involved deleting a paragraph that would have covered these people. It was removed as it was feared that it could be abused by illegal immigrants to stay in the UK and it is claimed that it was never intended to include the Windrush generation, however, staff have been interpreting this as a way to include them.

I suppose we'll never know if the order to do this came from higher up, but if these people had never made a fuss it certainly wouldn't have harmed the Government's stats when quoting how many 'illegal immigrants' they had identified and dealt with.

As a former Government pen pusher I can say that the low hanging fruit is always picked first in order to get the stats up.

Just been reading that the children of these immigrants have also been caught up in this:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...drush-children
Old 17-04-2018, 19:57   #21
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
According to Channel 5, the changes to the rules involved deleting a paragraph that would have covered these people. It was removed as it was feared that it could be abused by illegal immigrants to stay in the UK and it is claimed that it was never intended to include the Windrush generation, however, staff have been interpreting this as a way to include them.

I suppose we'll never know if the order to do this came from higher up, but if these people had never made a fuss it certainly wouldn't have harmed the Government's stats when quoting how many 'illegal immigrants' they had identified and dealt with.

As a former Government pen pusher I can say that the low hanging fruit is always picked first in order to get the stats up.

Just been reading that the children of these immigrants have also been caught up in this:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...drush-children
An old card with a name and date of arrival is not proof of anything. And as I've already pointed out, others have been affected long before 2010, because they had no landing card in the first place. Eg They came from Canada with their parents.

Quote:
The Home Office added that in deciding immigration cases, it considers alternative documents, such as tax records and utility bills, as evidence of ongoing residency. “The disposal of registration slips would therefore have no bearing on immigration cases whereby Commonwealth citizens are proving residency in the UK.”
Old 17-04-2018, 22:41   #22
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
An old card with a name and date of arrival is not proof of anything. And as I've already pointed out, others have been affected long before 2010, because they had no landing card in the first place. Eg They came from Canada with their parents.
I'm assuming that the deleted part of the regulations enabled civil servants to take this point into account, but once it was removed there was no extra protection afforded in these instances.
Old 18-04-2018, 13:56   #23
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Well, there's a turnup for the books! According to BBC News, at a heated exchange at PM's Questions, Theresa May responded that the destruction of the Windrush records took place under Labour's watch in 2009.

I bet JC wishes he had never asked! Egg on face for Lammy, too, after his outburst in the House of Commons!

So much for 'caring' Labour. It's now confirmed by the man himself that it was Labour that had proved to be 'callous and incompetent'!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43806710

Last edited by OLD BOY; 18-04-2018 at 14:00.
Old 18-04-2018, 14:14   #24
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, there's a turnup for the books! According to BBC News, at a heated exchange at PM's Questions, Theresa May responded that the destruction of the Windrush records took place under Labour's watch in 2009.

I bet JC wishes he had never asked! Egg on face for Lammy, too, after his outburst in the House of Commons!

So much for 'caring' Labour. It's now confirmed by the man himself that it was Labour that had proved to be 'callous and incompetent'!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43806710
Whole thing is a fiasco. Massive joke.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 14:19   #25
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Whole thing is a fiasco. Massive joke.
Absolutely as it has been a total debacle.
Old 18-04-2018, 19:23   #26
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

It's not a joke to those affected. I have just seen on South Today a British man born in Nigeria who because he's lost his birth certificate has been placed in the same position as the Windrush generation.That could be me because I too was born in Nigeria when it was a British colony. Luckily I still have my birth certificate. Those of us born in former colonies don't have an easy way to find lost documentation.
Old 18-04-2018, 19:34   #27
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
It's not a joke to those affected. I have just seen on South Today a British man born in Nigeria who because he's lost his birth certificate has been placed in the same position as the Windrush generation.That could be me because I too was born in Nigeria when it was a British colony. Luckily I still have my birth certificate. Those of us born in former colonies don't have an easy way to find lost documentation.
Fortunately, now that the government has been made aware of this problem, they have set up a task force to help these people.
Old 18-04-2018, 19:44   #28
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Correct me if I'm just being thick here but...

The Windrush immigrants were invited over here to work therefore they would have been issued a National Insurance number which is traceable the same with tax records.

Add to that any spouse/child who sought medical services would a medical record linked to a medical number issued.

What am I missing???
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 20:00   #29
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

All I can think of is that it sometimes poses the difficulty for some in proving that the NI number is theirs.

These days people who claim benefits are required to prove their identity and that their NINO actually belongs to them. There is a lot of NINO fraud in the system, particularly as there are more NINO's in circulation than there are people alive and living in the UK.

The most common ways to steal a NINO are to assume the identity of a child who died at birth/at a young age or the identity of someone who emigrated abroad.

Getting a job with a false NINO is much easier to do and is how some fraudsters manage to both work and sign on.
Old 18-04-2018, 20:15   #30
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Same goes for ANYONE. I would be stuck if I hadn't found my birth certificate before I moved out. I wouldn't be able to obtain a duplicate because I had no idea which part of London I was born, or even if it was London.