Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A glitch with Thumbs Up?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

A glitch with Thumbs Up?

Old 04-04-2019, 20:16   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
A glitch with Thumbs Up?

It's taken me a while to notice, but there's something not working the same with the Thumbs Up functionality.

When you set something to record it normally automatically adds a Thumbs Up to it right then, whether it's TV series or film. Now I've found that various films haven't been doing it. And I can see no pattern.

I've recorded films of all sorts from likes of Channel 4 HD, Channel 5 HD, Horror Channel over recent weeks (maybe even months, I do stack them up) and many of them aren't getting an automatic Thumbs Up.

Why am I bothered? Basically because I use it to tell if I've seen a film before. I watch quite a lot of films and, while I can remember a fair number, my memory obviously ain't perfect.

I can't say it's HD films it's doing it with as it's happening on likes of Horror Channel which isn't HD. And it isn't all films...as, for example Movies24 and Movies24+ isn't doing it (though I'm not watching those ones myself, I'm just saying that based on navigating My Shows).

Like I said, no obvious pattern.

Anyone else have this?

Last edited by cheekyangus; 04-04-2019 at 20:20.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2019, 20:48   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: A glitch with Thumbs Up?

You are setting all recordings from the guide, not from an ipad or similar? I believe the automatic thumb only happens for 'local' recordings.

Another possibility is it doesn't bother adding a thumb where it would have no effect. IIRC, single thumb-ups on non-series recordings are ignored by the Suggestions logic.

Obviously you are using the thumb for a purpose it wsn't intended for. There is a very easy workaround, though.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 20:48   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Nothing wrong on our box with this.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:20   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
You are setting all recordings from the guide, not from an ipad or similar? I believe the automatic thumb only happens for 'local' recordings.
Never use the mobile/tablet app for that. Done with the remote directly to the box.

Quote:
Another possibility is it doesn't bother adding a thumb where it would have no effect. IIRC, single thumb-ups on non-series recordings are ignored by the Suggestions logic.
I have Suggestions switched off. Unclear whether this would still affect that, but given the banner tiles still suggest shows with it switched off, I guess it is never properly "off".

Quote:
Obviously you are using the thumb for a purpose it wsn't intended for. There is a very easy workaround, though.
I realise this. But I thought I ask to see if it was a widespread glitch, or a new implementation of the feature in an update.
Old 05-04-2019, 13:31   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

I've just tested it on a few movies and it's always setting the thumbs up for me, even with Suggestions turned off.

I guess you've been doing this for some time. Maybe you've hit a limit on the total number of programmes that can be thumbed?
Old 05-04-2019, 13:37   #6
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I've just tested it on a few movies and it's always setting the thumbs up for me, even with Suggestions turned off.

I guess you've been doing this for some time. Maybe you've hit a limit on the total number of programmes that can be thumbed?
That sound a bit silly especially when Virgin in a lot of their advertising and leaflets of the last couple of years are telling their customers of this nifty little thing they can do on their remote.
Old 05-04-2019, 14:00   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:

That thought did occur to me. However I (literally) just set X-Men Apocalypse to record and it worked. Then I saw that I hadn't set it to HD channel version, so I cancelled it. Then I went and redid it, and again it worked.

So I haven't a scooby.

It may just be a weird random thing. Or they fixed it since I last recorded something where it didn't happen (though that's unlikely).
Old 05-04-2019, 14:12   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I wonder if this is in connection with the move to MPEG4 for some channels, in the same way that favourite channels have had to be input again for those channels that have completed the switch??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 14:19   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That sound a bit silly especially when Virgin in a lot of their advertising and leaflets of the last couple of years are telling their customers of this nifty little thing they can do on their remote.
It's not silly. Let's imagine there's a limit of 1000 thumb ratings (I have no idea what the limit actually is). That's more than enough for the software to know what you like and don't like. Adding a 1001st thumb isn't going to materially affect the Suggestions that you get.