Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Train Spotters Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Train Spotters Corner

Old 09-10-2014, 11:41   #331
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Train Spotters Corner

London Underground: Designs for Tube trains unveiled.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29520761
Old 10-10-2014, 08:57   #332
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Hitachi chosen to build ScotRail fleet.

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2014/...-scotrail.html

Network Rail says 'sorry' for Great Western delays.

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2014/...sorry-for.html
Old 10-10-2014, 09:21   #333
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

They aught to be apologising for the delays from Penzance for no apparent reason that caused me to miss my connections and booked seats on Tuesday.

It was one of those manky, noisy old diesel units that couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding and accelerate with all the pace of an arthritic snail on Mogodon. I looked its type up and it's called a "Sprinter" and supposidly capable of 90MPH. Somebody's having a laugh and it wasn't me.

Boy was I glad the last leg was on Southern region and their nice quiet, spacious trains.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:35   #334
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
They aught to be apologising for the delays from Penzance for no apparent reason that caused me to miss my connections and booked seats on Tuesday.

It was one of those manky, noisy old diesel units that couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding and accelerate with all the pace of an arthritic snail on Mogodon. I looked its type up and it's called a "Sprinter" and supposidly capable of 90MPH. Somebody's having a laugh and it wasn't me.

Boy was I glad the last leg was on Southern region and their nice quiet, spacious trains.
One of these?

Horrible things. I went on one from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth once. It seemed to take forever and it wasn't very comfortable either.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:37   #335
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:

Those "Sprinter's" are bloody terrible as we have to get one of them at Westbury for our connection to Fareham and they never arrive on time Heero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_150

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_156
Old 10-10-2014, 10:14   #336
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
One of these?

Horrible things. I went on one from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth once. It seemed to take forever and it wasn't very comfortable either.
Yep, that's the dog, only in FGW colours. No legroom either.

It seemed to dawdle out of Redruth for ages so we were 15 minutes late into Plymouth.

Quote:
Those "Sprinter's" are bloody terrible as we have to get one of them at Westbury for our connection to Fareham and they never arrive on time Heero.
Yes I had one again from Bath Spa to Fareham, at least that got in roughly on time. Nasty though.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:11   #337
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Updated franchise schedule signals GW extension.

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2014/...ignals-gw.html

Old 10-10-2014, 12:37   #338
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Far worse than the 150's are these horrors of rail travel ( Class 142 which I think have left FGW, and the Class 143 which are still used down there IIRC and finally the always awful class 153 "Dogboxes"
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 19:09   #339
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Ah, the always-awful nodding donkey.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:11   #340
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the sprinter. A combination of state run British Rail deciding to save money by attaching a (state run) Leyland National coach to a couple of coal wagon axles...
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:16   #341
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
Ah, the sprinter. A combination of state run British Rail deciding to save money by attaching a (state run) Leyland National coach to a couple of coal wagon axles...
That's the pacer, a.k.a. nodding donkey. The sprinter was supposed to be the next generation DMU for longer rural routes - pictured 4 posts above.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:38   #342
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Of course we have to remember that the sprinter fleet are getting on for 30 years old now, when they were first introduced here in the Midlands to replace the old slam door DMU's people loved them, with quicker journey times in most cases (unless you got a Tyseley power twin instead, with a Saltley driver they put even the sprinters to shame ) People have seen what some other area's have in the way of stock and want something similar.

The 153's were crap when they were originally the Leyland built 155's, we had no end of trouble with them on various test/crew training runs and always felt cheap and nasty compared to the Metro Cam 156's. The conversion to the 153 made them even worse.

I still can't believe we have pacers running on the network, they were a huge mistake from the beginning.
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:56   #343
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Sadly we get a lot of the old rolling stock down here RH as the HST's alone are 40 years old with no sign of any new stock coming our way in the foreseeable future and then there is some of the other older rubbish like the sprinter's where you can sit down and get wet when its raining in a certain direction as my sister found out when she was down here on holiday.
Old 13-10-2014, 08:25   #344
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Yet more family silver being sold off it seems.

http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2014/...pposition.html
Old 13-10-2014, 09:52   #345
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That's the pacer, a.k.a. nodding donkey. The sprinter was supposed to be the next generation DMU for longer rural routes - pictured 4 posts above.
Ah yes, my mistake. Still a load of 142s around Cardiff and with my sister's house near a curve you can hear the darned things squealing near constantly. Even the big coal trains are quieter!
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote