Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit
Closed Thread

Old 30-05-2019, 18:30   #3076
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Of course you can, it's been in the news for 3 years.
So, you're saying as soon as legislation is passed for a new referendum, there will be no time to run a campaign, it will be like, a law passes and they have the vote the day after?

It just doesn't work like that - It took months to organise, as soon as a referendum is given the go ahead, campaigns will start, you cannot stop them.
Advertisement
Old 30-05-2019, 18:33   #3077
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
So, you're saying as soon as legislation is passed for a new referendum, there will be no time to run a campaign, it will be like, a law passes and they have the vote the day after?

It just doesn't work like that - It took months to organise, as soon as a referendum is given the go ahead, campaigns will start, you cannot stop them.
I never said any such thing. I simply said we wouldn't need another campaign if we had another referendum.
Old 30-05-2019, 18:40   #3078
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I never said any such thing. I simply said we wouldn't need another campaign if we had another referendum.
You're missing my point.

If a decision is passed to have another referendum then there will be campaigns for both sides, they cannot be stopped. The vote will not occur right away, after a decision has been made, so each side will campaign until the vote happens.
Old 30-05-2019, 19:10   #3079
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
There are no weaknesses of the first referendum - the campaigns on both sides played by the same rules - they both lied to get votes and it would happen again in another campaign in yet another referendum.

It shouldn't take two rounds of votes, well, actually three, actually four, to be precise, to deliver a clear decision and that was to leave. (2016 Referendum, Snap Election and Euro Elections just gone and any potential new referendum).
It wasn’t a clear decision, neither was any of the subsequent elections a de facto referendum.

If you’re confident of winning I don’t see why you’re so strongly against. We won’t leave without a further referendum so the sooner we do so the better.
Old 30-05-2019, 19:10   #3080
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You're missing my point.

If a decision is passed to have another referendum then there will be campaigns for both sides, they cannot be stopped. The vote will not occur right away, after a decision has been made, so each side will campaign until the vote happens.
All immaterial anyway as there isn't the time to get it through Parliament before 31/10.
Old 30-05-2019, 19:12   #3081
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
"Need" is irrelevant, another referendum would come with another set of campaigns, by both sides.
And another set of lies l would imagine..

Last edited by denphone; 30-05-2019 at 19:34.
Old 30-05-2019, 19:15   #3082
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
All immaterial anyway as there isn't the time to get it through Parliament before 31/10.
Haha. The amount of things I was told were not possible prior to 29th March.
Old 30-05-2019, 19:18   #3083
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It wasn’t a clear decision, neither was any of the subsequent elections a de facto referendum.

If you’re confident of winning I don’t see why you’re so strongly against. We won’t leave without a further referendum so the sooner we do so the better.
Because having further votes just delays what was decided and we don't keep having the same votes, over and over just to suit the losing side and it was a clear decision, I don't know how you can say it was not, more than a million more people chose to leave than remain, so we must leave.

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Quote:
Haha. The amount of things I was told were not possible prior to 29th March.
The things that you were told were correct - the government chose to extend, it did not have to abide by parliament, the votes were not legally binding.
Old 30-05-2019, 19:20   #3084
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
You're missing my point.

Point taken, I still think it's fair and democratic after everything we've been through in these three years to have another referendum.
Old 30-05-2019, 19:20   #3085
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Because having further votes just delays what was decided and we don't keep having the same votes, over and over just to suit the losing side and it was a clear decision, I don't know how you can say it was not, more than a million more people chose to leave than remain, so we must leave.
A further vote would have, in the long run, removed the need for the present extension period. Carrying out one now would give us an assured position for October when right now, without knowing who is PM and what Parliament will do, we presently do not.
Old 30-05-2019, 19:35   #3086
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
A further vote would have, in the long run, removed the need for the present extension period. Carrying out one now would give us an assured position for October when right now, without knowing who is PM and what Parliament will do, we presently do not.
We do not need another vote - we had one in 2016 - we voted to leave. No matter how many times you try skate around this, it won't resolve anything when leave wins again, unless as I have said previously, you then stamp your feet for another one when you lose again.
Old 30-05-2019, 19:40   #3087
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I certainly don't want another referendum

I'm quite happy, possibly even ecstatic, at the thought of being refused yet another farcical extension in October
Old 30-05-2019, 20:02   #3088
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
You said that last time and they found time.
Old 30-05-2019, 20:07   #3089
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
You said that last time and they found time.
Really, I'd check what was passed if I were you.
Old 30-05-2019, 20:16   #3090
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Really, I'd check what was passed if I were you.
That's semantics. Parliament found a way to delay Brexit. The fact the Government enabled it is a red herring. the vote of no confidence option always exists and will continue to exist.

Last edited by jfman; 30-05-2019 at 20:20.
Closed Thread