Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 18-01-2017, 08:59   #2701
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
This evening, I tried to watch a recording from my upstairs box while in the lounge. However, I couldn't access the recording, and a V401 message is displayed. I then went upstairs - the programme played fine on that box.

The same happens when I try to watch a programme from the box in the lounge from the bedroom.

Does anyone know what a V401 error message means? Was something perhaps not connected correctly by the installer and is this something I can put right myself?
There is a long-standing problem with TiVo and multi-room streaming. There is a thread on the Virgin Media forum that might be interesting. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...o/td-p/3125356
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2017, 11:46   #2702
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Thank you, everyone, for your constructive comments.

Tried to access the bedroom box from my lounge Tivo again today - same problem. Then a message came up on screen saying that there may be a problem with my network connection between the boxes, or the Tivo may have become unplugged (V423). So I checked both boxes and found that the lounge Tivo lead could be pushed in a bit further. The bedroom Tivo was fine.

On attempting a third try after that, it connected and now it seems to work perfectly! My happy bunny status has been restored!

I am loving these boxes - such a huge improvement on the older Tivos.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 11:49   #2703
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

OB, is the V6 in your lounge connected to the hub via Wi-Fi?

My router isn't that far away from where the V6 in my lounge will go, but I'd rather connect via Wi-Fi than having an Ethernet cable running to it.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 11:50   #2704
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
OB, is the V6 in your lounge connected to the hub via Wi-Fi?

My router isn't that far away from where the V6 in my lounge will go, but I'd rather connect via Wi-Fi than having an Ethernet cable running to it.
Yes, UC, both boxes are connected by wifi.
Old 18-01-2017, 12:35   #2705
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yes, UC, both boxes are connected by wifi.
Ah nice, good to know. Thanks, OB.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 12:45   #2706
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

This is the problem with products like the V6 and Sky Q , the majority of customers will choose the neatest and easiest way to connect their boxes and sadly WiFi can be very problematic for some especially those in bigger or older homes with thick walls.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 14:39   #2707
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
This is the problem with products like the V6 and Sky Q , the majority of customers will choose the neatest and easiest way to connect their boxes and sadly WiFi can be very problematic for some especially those in bigger or older homes with thick walls.

Yep, there's a reason why VM recommend the V6 be connected via Ethernet or home plugs.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 15:44   #2708
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Thank you, everyone, for your constructive comments.

Tried to access the bedroom box from my lounge Tivo again today - same problem. Then a message came up on screen saying that there may be a problem with my network connection between the boxes, or the Tivo may have become unplugged (V423). So I checked both boxes and found that the lounge Tivo lead could be pushed in a bit further. The bedroom Tivo was fine.

On attempting a third try after that, it connected and now it seems to work perfectly! My happy bunny status has been restored!

I am loving these boxes - such a huge improvement on the older Tivos.
UPDATE: The problem returned, so I rang VM and was put through to their Swansea office. They identified the cause of the problem - my router was indeed set to 2.4 - they re-set it for me at 5G and I am reassured everything should work fine when the network settles later this afternoon.

My grateful thanks to spiderplant, who identified this problem, and those I've spoken to at VM today. What a helpful team - we are lucky to have them working for us!

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Maybe not, what hub are you using, if a 2ac please check they are both connected to 5G
Spot on, jb, you identified the cause of the problem correctly!
Old 18-01-2017, 19:16   #2709
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Just to confirm all is working satisfactorily now!
Old 18-01-2017, 19:35   #2710
Jacquesb
cf.addict

Services: VM phone , 2xV6 (Full house XL), ViViD200 Optical fibre BB. Stream - Netflix, iPlayer,
Jacquesb is an unknown quantity at this point

I love a happy ending !!
Old 18-01-2017, 19:43   #2711
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Excellent OB.
Old 18-01-2017, 20:02   #2712
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Great stuff, enjoy.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 22:33   #2713
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

I've had this problem or something similar. I'll link the thread from the Virginia forums. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/3304223

The problem I have is both boxes keep losing connection to each other and the only way to get them reconnected is to go into the settings of the V6 and reconnect one or both of the boxes to the WiFi. Any idea how to keep them connected?

On a separate note the Hub 3 is on auto 2.4/5ghz or whatever the setting is. Is there benefits to changing them to two separate things rather than one?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 23:14   #2714
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I've had this problem or something similar. I'll link the thread from the Virginia forums. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...s/td-p/3304223

The problem I have is both boxes keep losing connection to each other and the only way to get them reconnected is to go into the settings of the V6 and reconnect one or both of the boxes to the WiFi. Any idea how to keep them connected?

On a separate note the Hub 3 is on auto 2.4/5ghz or whatever the setting is. Is there benefits to changing them to two separate things rather than one?
Might be leading you astray here, but in the SH3 is the wi-fi set to a particular channel or is it set to auto ( if that option is available)? Back in the day when 802.11g was as good as it got I found my laptop connected to the TV would drop the network. Turned out a firmware update had left my router set to auto in the wi-fi channel and when a better channel was available it would change meaning the laptop lost it's connection while it caught up. Drove me to dispair!

Also I had great fun with multi-room streaming on the old TiVo with insufficient bandwidth or slow network response etc. Hope this isn't something that has transferred to the V6. It's a TiVo thing as not had the issue with SkyQ and the only change on the network has been the set top box at each end.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 00:51   #2715
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Might be leading you astray here, but in the SH3 is the wi-fi set to a particular channel or is it set to auto ( if that option is available)? Back in the day when 802.11g was as good as it got I found my laptop connected to the TV would drop the network. Turned out a firmware update had left my router set to auto in the wi-fi channel and when a better channel was available it would change meaning the laptop lost it's connection while it caught up. Drove me to dispair!

Also I had great fun with multi-room streaming on the old TiVo with insufficient bandwidth or slow network response etc. Hope this isn't something that has transferred to the V6. It's a TiVo thing as not had the issue with SkyQ and the only change on the network has been the set top box at each end.

Cheers

Grim
I believe it is set to auto. I've separated the 2.4 and 5ghz networks and connected most things at 5ghz. So I'll give that a go before trying the wireless channel. Thanks for your help.

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:13 ----------

Put both boxes into 5ghz wifi and now when I try to access the other V6 box I get an V401 error.

This is so frustrating. I can stream Netflix and YouTube fine through LG TVS, a phone and the V6 boxes. I can watch my recordings through TV anywhere on my phone fine all through WiFi. Why are the 2 V6 boxes just not talking to each other properly.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote