Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 16-01-2017, 10:59   #2671
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Welcome to progress, our overlords have decreed that us minions are no longer worthy and despite building in all the hardware have decided to deliberately disable it.
They have probably disabled it so customers don't have the option of sending the tv signal around their homes using their own tech and have to buy more V6 boxes
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2017, 11:06   #2672
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Welcome to progress, our overlords have decreed that us minions are no longer worthy and despite building in all the hardware have decided to deliberately disable it.

Disabling the scart is progress (for VMs extra box sales/profits...)
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 11:16   #2673
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo View Post
Hope you can help BenMcr

I had the V6 installed sat 7th and apart from It being superfast, and easy to DL settings from my old TiVo with series links etc, I'm very underwhelmed with what I was promised I can do with it, I kept my TiVo box and was hoping to stream shows from it I still had, but I've been told that can't be done without paying for a powerline connection, I wasnt left with the new HDMI cable and the setup steaming device doesn't work, never gets past step one and then says set up problem, set up did not complete successfully please try again, can anyone hek me, as I rang installs and faults and customer service, but nobody knows anything and all reps seem clueless, and don't seem trained on the V6
It's never good when you can't get the support you need.

In regards to the V6 to TiVo connection, it should have been discussed at the point of order that to stream between the two boxes a home network connection is required so you can plan appropriately for any additional kit that you would need.

For the HDMI cable, do you mean that you weren't given one to allow both your boxes to work, as the V6 itself doesn't normally need a different type of HDMI cable to what you already have for TiVo.

And for the app, the only thing I can suggest is ensure that your device is completely update to date for all apps and system service e.g. Android System WebView and other OS updates.
Old 16-01-2017, 11:27   #2674
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Hardware's only part of the equation, VM has saved money on the software costs for SCART but probably more on content licensing costs. I'm sure content owners would prefer it if customers didn't archive their favourite films and series to DVD. Annoying for a few but I can understand why VM have done this. Maybe it's a pre-condition for getting Sky Atlantic?
As others have indicated, there are work-around HDMI-SCART adapters available.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 11:33   #2675
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Minor question. I have a V6 on order for installation in February. I have a shub 2 running in modem mode. Is the installer likely to want to change it for a shub 3?
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 11:47   #2676
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

No. If you had a SH1 or a older modem + router it would need to be swapped, but the 2 or 2ac are fine.
Old 16-01-2017, 13:27   #2677
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
Minor question. I have a V6 on order for installation in February. I have a shub 2 running in modem mode. Is the installer likely to want to change it for a shub 3?
I have a shub2 in modem mode. Installer didn't swap the shub or need it to be in router mode either. Just plugged in the ethernet that was already in place.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 14:41   #2678
jonandmarkuk
Inactive

Services: Samsung HU8550 (SEK-3500), Yamaha RXV777, Full House TV, 200Mb, 2 VM v6 Tivos, Slingbox.
jonandmarkuk is on a distinguished roadjonandmarkuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Hardware's only part of the equation, VM has saved money on the software costs for SCART but probably more on content licensing costs. I'm sure content owners would prefer it if customers didn't archive their favourite films and series to DVD. Annoying for a few but I can understand why VM have done this. Maybe it's a pre-condition for getting Sky Atlantic?
I'm certain when Tivo was first launched by Virgin the USA software had to be coded to add Scart support (I don't think the USA Premier boxes which ours were loosely based on had scart).
I guess dropping scart support brings some of the base code in line with the USA version of the Tivo software.

I use a Slingbox with my v6, simply needed a HDMI splitter and a converter box (in my case convert to RCA)
jonandmarkuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 14:44   #2679
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It's easier just to find a torrent and d/l it...I know you are only kidding about saving on the s/w costs, they will have to have paid to get the code redacted out and then fully regression tested.

Didn't I read somewhere on here they do or plan to use the same box in Europe and it's enabled there?
Old 16-01-2017, 15:36   #2680
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

Scart outputs will disappear; manufacturers have been pushed on this for several years by content producers. Why are you surprised that it has been left off the new V6?

Actually, I suspect that you aren't surprised; you're just using it an excuse to bash the V6.

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

Quote:
Didn't I read somewhere on here they do or plan to use the same box in Europe and it's enabled there?

You are correct, with a new version of Horizon software that will also be in the UK.

People on here seem to be suggesting that there could be some Tivo functionality on it.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 16:43   #2681
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonandmarkuk View Post
I'm certain when Tivo was first launched by Virgin the USA software had to be coded to add Scart support (I don't think the USA Premier boxes which ours were loosely based on had scart).
I guess dropping scart support brings some of the base code in line with the USA version of the Tivo software.

I use a Slingbox with my v6, simply needed a HDMI splitter and a converter box (in my case convert to RCA)
Quote:
It's easier just to find a torrent and d/l it...I know you are only kidding about saving on the s/w costs, they will have to have paid to get the code redacted out and then fully regression tested.

As jonandmarkuk said above, the Tivo SCART code may not be there in the first place. And I'm not sure how many countries in Europe have the SCART output enabled on the V6 boxes. I suspect it's probably just a couple of Eastern European countries. The likes of Germany and Switzerland probably don't have the functionality enabled.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 19:54   #2682
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
This is the main reason I'm sticking with Tivo for now. The scart out allows feeds to other TVs and record to DVD/hard drive.
Eeeer yeah. If i invest in an new V6 box how on earth do/can i connect it to my HDD recorder???????

If not can anyone recommend another way i can 'video' tv output.

I'm a bit of a sad tennis match collector lol
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 22:15   #2683
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Eeeer yeah. If i invest in an new V6 box how on earth do/can i connect it to my HDD recorder???????

If not can anyone recommend another way i can 'video' tv output.

I'm a bit of a sad tennis match collector lol
Similar problem myself (rugby rather than tennis)

Suggestions are

1) getting an old TiVo box and sending it over wifi then scart to DVD.

2) getting a hdmi cable which splits output into scart and hdmi.

This problem was one of the reasons I didn't want SkyQ which has same problem.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 00:39   #2684
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Scart outputs will disappear; manufacturers have been pushed on this for several years by content producers. Why are you surprised that it has been left off the new V6?

Actually, I suspect that you aren't surprised; you're just using it an excuse to bash the V6.

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

You are correct, with a new version of Horizon software that will also be in the UK.

People on here seem to be suggesting that there could be some Tivo functionality on it.
So from your post we take from that

1. The box has a functional (electrically and connection wise) Scart socket

You seem to be suggesting that the Scart will work elsewhere in europe? hence the decision to cripple it in the UK was a *deliberate* one.
Old 17-01-2017, 08:48   #2685
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
So from your post we take from that

1. The box has a functional (electrically and connection wise) Scart socket

You seem to be suggesting that the Scart will work elsewhere in europe? hence the decision to cripple it in the UK was a *deliberate* one.
We seem to be going around in circles on this one. It has already been explained that the scart is not activated by the manufacturers. That means that VM would have had to activate it before it could be used. The scart is there for use in Europe, not here, for reasons that have also been explained. VM did not 'cripple' the scart as you seem to be suggesting.

For those who have a scart device that they want to connect to the Tivo, my understanding is that all they need to do is buy an HDMI to scart converter, which you can get on e-bay for less than £15. Surely, this is a non-problem.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote