Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 16-11-2017, 21:08   #3856
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Originally Posted by OLD BOY

I never did say that, Den, and I have reminded you of that more than once.

I said that:

Quote:

1. The number of traditional linear channels would start to decline from about 5 years' time;

That is a fair change from what your original answer was.

No, you were referring to my comment about linear (ie conventional broadcast channels) being 'as dead as a doornail'. That was never my suggestion. I said that these channels were probably safe for about 3 years, but in about 5 years' time they would start decreasing. I said it was quite likely that there would be no such channels in 20 years from now but a small number might survive.

'I still think that conventional channels will be dead in 20 years.'

That was a quote from me on #892 on 29 April 2016 in my original linear channels thread, and even then, some, including you, kept saying that I had predicted this would happen in 10 years, which is simply not true. The 10 years I had previously referred to was the time by which the infrastructure should be ready to support this change. Still, you are trying to confuse these timescales in an effort to discredit the premise I have put forward. However, the evidence is there in those posts, from very early in the thread, that the likelihood was that conventional linear TV channels would not exist in 20 years.

Just in case anyone remains confused, my definitive view is, and always has been that:

1. These traditional linear channels were safe for about three years at least. After about 5 years, some of these linear channels would start to close down as they would no longer be viable.

2. In about 5-10 years' time, the necessary infrastructure should be available over the whole country to enable everyone to be able to access streaming services.

3. By 20 years' time, most of our conventional TV channels would have closed due to the popularity of streaming services, which would render the old system unviable. I also conceded that if there was a seismic shift in the way the linear offering was presented, this could change things, but that I could not envisage what that would be.

I hope my position on this is now clear, if it wasn't before.

Quote:

2. The number of traditional linear channels existing in 20 years' time will be very small or non existent, due to the massively increased use of OTT services, which were easier and more convenient to use.

Quite a big statement and one that is very unlikely to come true.

That remains my view.

Quote:

That was about a year ago, so you can take a year off the 5 years and 20 years predictions.

Like a politician your answer seems to change from day to day.

You will need to justify that! My position has remained unchanged. If you really believe what you are saying, give me a link to prove it. You will not find one, trust me.

Quote:

As it happens, I may have been too pessimistic about the speed of change. Two traditional linear channels have already taken the decision to go on demand only (BBC3 and ITV Encore) so things have started moving in that direction four years earlier than I thought at the time.

Both channels always had small audiences and like channels before new ones launch and a few disappear as that has happened in the history of modern TV if you care to search and look.

You may have forgotten that I said from the start that it would begin with the smaller channels, so what's your point? It's happened even sooner than I thought it would!
Quote:

The posts on here clearly demonstrate a strong trend, both in the US and the UK (as well as Europe) towards OTT services, and yet you continue to bury your head in the sand and tell us this will never happen.

The trend that will lead to the streaming giants winning all the major UK football and sporting rights then?.

They will certainly start bidding soon.

Quote:

I am still waiting for your explanation as to why you do not agree with this prediction, particularly when the TV industry seems to have come around to this point of view also, and the evidence is building up month by month.

If you are able to provide me with an up to date link that supports your view on this matter, I would be very interested to read it

l have answered this one before but you have chosen to ignore viewpoints that don't suit your own views.

Well, if you have, I must have missed it!

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
There's a few answers to that , who says all those 5 million are football viewers ?

Sky currently pays nearly £1.4 billion a year which would be money it could spend elsewhere.

Who says the winning bidder wouldn't want it's content available across other platforms.

Should this happen it's likely Sky will have already been snapped up by a bigger player even if it's not Fox so I'm pretty sure they'll still be here.
Actually, I agree with you, muppetman. If Amazon win the Premier League rights, they will ensure that they are available on as many platforms as possible, to get their money back! This will benefit BT and Talk Talk in particular.

Against that, we also need to bear in mind that the global operators will also be swallowing up studio rights all over the place, and Sky will not be able to compete with that. To survive, they need a new model which will include increasing their original content massively.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 16-11-2017 at 21:01.
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2017, 18:36   #3857
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Not as good as previous deals but Argos are currently selling Now TV boxes with either a 4 month entertainment pass or a 3 month movie pass for £19:99.
These may not be as good as you'll find vouchers for on Ebay or the like but I've found the vouchers inside these boxes last at least 12 months whereas its hit and miss on how long you have to apply one to your account when you buy the voucher alone online.

I've just added a 6 month entertainment pass and 4 month movie pass to my account from box and voucher deals purchased from Argos (for the same £19:99 price) in October 2016 so in some circumstances they can last longer than the 12 month limit.

Edit:
Talking of Now TV they have a Black Friday deal for new customers only, 12 months movies for £55, 12 months entertainment for £45 and 12 months sports for £199.

If anyone is thinking of switching to Now TV £300 for that lot for a year seems a very good deal to me

http://www.nowtv.com/black-friday-de..._ENTS_CAROUSEL

Last edited by buckeye; 17-11-2017 at 19:18.
Old 17-11-2017, 20:03   #3858
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Not as good as previous deals but Argos are currently selling Now TV boxes with either a 4 month entertainment pass or a 3 month movie pass for £19:99.
These may not be as good as you'll find vouchers for on Ebay or the like but I've found the vouchers inside these boxes last at least 12 months whereas its hit and miss on how long you have to apply one to your account when you buy the voucher alone online.

I've just added a 6 month entertainment pass and 4 month movie pass to my account from box and voucher deals purchased from Argos (for the same £19:99 price) in October 2016 so in some circumstances they can last longer than the 12 month limit.

Edit:
Talking of Now TV they have a Black Friday deal for new customers only, 12 months movies for £55, 12 months entertainment for £45 and 12 months sports for £199.

If anyone is thinking of switching to Now TV £300 for that lot for a year seems a very good deal to me

http://www.nowtv.com/black-friday-de..._ENTS_CAROUSEL
That is a cracking deal.
Old 17-11-2017, 22:02   #3859
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
That is a cracking deal.
Yeah I thought so, If I didn't already have movies and entertainment tied up for the next 10 months at an equivalent price and sports for a lot less for the next 6 months (sports is a long story I can't go into but I have it for 60 quid for 6 months at the moment ) then I'd cancel and sign up again under one of my other emails at those prices.

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Well existing Now TV customers have a Black Friday deal too, £99 for 12 months entertainment and movies, but there is a caveat, you have to be within 30 days of both services running out on your account for the offer to work

http://www.nowtv.com/home/existing
Old 17-11-2017, 23:13   #3860
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yeah I thought so, If I didn't already have movies and entertainment tied up for the next 10 months at an equivalent price and sports for a lot less for the next 6 months (sports is a long story I can't go into but I have it for 60 quid for 6 months at the moment ) then I'd cancel and sign up again under one of my other emails at those prices.

Well existing Now TV customers have a Black Friday deal too, £99 for 12 months entertainment and movies, but there is a caveat, you have to be within 30 days of both services running out on your account for the offer to work

Some good deals. Might get the Kids TV pass for 12 months for £15.00 for my son to enjoy in his bedroom. That's really good value.
Old 17-11-2017, 23:36   #3861
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I would of gone for it myself if i hadn't recently took a deal from SKY.
Old 18-11-2017, 21:47   #3862
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

It is a little disappointing to find that in relation to live sports, Amazon is seeking programming viewers can't get from rivals. However, given their determination to take on Sky, maybe the correct interpretation of this is that it views competitors such as Sky differently from other OTT services. Maybe this indicates that we will see Amazon entering the bidding round this time rather than next.

http://www.theedgemarkets.com/articl...s-broadcasters

Last edited by OLD BOY; 18-11-2017 at 21:53.
Old 19-11-2017, 12:12   #3863
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It is a little disappointing to find that in relation to live sports, Amazon is seeking programming viewers can't get from rivals. However, given their determination to take on Sky, maybe the correct interpretation of this is that it views competitors such as Sky differently from other OTT services. Maybe this indicates that we will see Amazon entering the bidding round this time rather than next.

Still singing from that same hymm book l see OB.
Old 19-11-2017, 13:33   #3864
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Still singing from that same hymm book l see OB.
Still no link posted by you i see.
Old 19-11-2017, 13:45   #3865
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Still no link posted by you i see.
If you look you shall find instead of believing everything as gospel from that wise sage of wisdom.
Old 19-11-2017, 14:04   #3866
buckeye
cf.addict

Quote:

If Amazon are to dip their toes into Premier League rights, I would bet they will go for the new Saturday night package that was voted in this week by the clubs.

I base my hypothesis on the fact that they aren't interested in advertising revenue or taking on traditional broadcasters for prime time Saturday viewers and that this will possibly be the cheapest package they could acquire to test the market in order to have a full assault if they deem it fit in 3 years time.
Old 19-11-2017, 17:35   #3867
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
If Amazon are to dip their toes into Premier League rights, I would bet they will go for the new Saturday night package that was voted in this week by the clubs.

I base my hypothesis on the fact that they aren't interested in advertising revenue or taking on traditional broadcasters for prime time Saturday viewers and that this will possibly be the cheapest package they could acquire to test the market in order to have a full assault if they deem it fit in 3 years time.
I agree, but then again I think anything can happen this time around!

Quote:
If you look you shall find instead of believing everything as gospel from that wise sage of wisdom.
I think it is up to you to justify your remarks if they are to be taken with any credibility, Den.
Old 19-11-2017, 18:11   #3868
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
I think it is up to you to justify your remarks if they are to be taken with any credibility, Den.
l don't need any credibility as l never had any to start with but your trail of false predictions and great new dawns has certainly reduced your credibility that teeny weeny bit.
Old 19-11-2017, 19:24   #3869
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Difference is i'm seeing tv evolve my head isn't buried in the sand.
Old 19-11-2017, 19:57   #3870
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Difference is i'm seeing tv evolve my head isn't buried in the sand.
You are entitled to your opinion as are others and my good self.