Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC iplayer problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

BBC iplayer problem

Old 22-08-2013, 00:50   #1
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
BBC iplayer problem

I'm sure I posted here before but my post seems to have gone missing.

So here it is again is it common to have problems with VM BBC Iplayer HD content seems to stutter to the point I can't watch it and same goes for SD although not as much.

I've been using my smart tv to watch Iplayer stuff and don't have any problems
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-08-2013, 10:33   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: BBC iplayer problem

Yes it's common, Iplayer is pants on Tivo.

Report it as a fault. They probably can't solve it and will blame the BBC, but unless more people report it and just stop regarding it as normal service, nothing will change. Iplayer is fine on other platforms - TiVo is the problem and you're paying for it.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 10:41   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

IPlayer implementation varies greatly from platform to platform. I can watch it just fine on my Echostar Freesat box (not in HD, my ADSL struggles to maintain 2Mb) while the Wii, sitting right next to it, will stutter and crap out constantly on the same stream at the same time of day.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 11:35   #4
martin201002
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD sports and movies HD, sky fibre pro, ps4 and xbox one.
martin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I'm sure I posted here before but my post seems to have gone missing.

So here it is again is it common to have problems with VM BBC Iplayer HD content seems to stutter to the point I can't watch it and same goes for SD although not as much.

I've been using my smart tv to watch Iplayer stuff and don't have any problems
Same here well dodgy on my TiVo boxes, works fine on the ps3 though. Iplayer works much better on a standard Vhd box.
martin201002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 00:31   #5
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Does Tivo use the internet version for iPlayer?
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 10:37   #6
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Yes, although I watched an hour long HD programme yesterday evening through my TiVo and it didn't stutter once.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 11:38   #7
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Pants is rather strong.

Have had no real problems with Tivo IPlayer personally...
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 13:18   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I'll avoid watching BBC streamed stuff on my TiVo. Too unreliable an experience.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 13:35   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post
Pants is rather strong.

Have had no real problems with Tivo IPlayer personally...
Nor have I, since the initial teething problems. Those having problems with the I-Player should report it. I am convinced that the problem is with the signal in most cases. Get the signal strength sorted out and it should work fine.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 16:00   #10
vascop
Inactive

Services: Panasonic TX-32LXD700 TV Virgin media V+ & 20gb/s broadband speed/VM modem/router combined
vascop is on a distinguished roadvascop is on a distinguished road

A few days ago I had a fault when using iplayer over a Samsung V+ box, which caused the picture to make forward jumps every so often. I tried it several times on different days, but it was always the same, except that it was worse at some times than at others.
Today I had an idea: I remembered that I am using a good quality HDMI cable to connect my DVD player to the TV and the HDMI cable that came with my V+ box when I first got it a few years ago now, to connect the V+ box to the TV. I swapped them round and played the troublesome programme again and it was perfect. Just to be sure I re-connected the cables as they had been originally and the fault came back.
I have now re-connected the good quality HDMI between the V+ box and the TV and will buy another quality cable for my DVD player.
I will monitor the situation and report back if I have any more problems.
Perhaps good quality HDMI cables do make a difference in certain circumstances!
PS I should say that 4oD and the ITV player did not have this fault, even with the HDMI cable supplied by Virgin Media.
vascop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 22:20   #11
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Sorry to dig up this thread but the iPlayer has buffered really bad since early August, I have contacted 'support' but I was told was reboot the box and that will fix it, but it hasn't any suggestions what I can do as I'm not happy with the support offered by the faults team

I have read the VM forum and they have stated;

Quote:
The known issue has now been resolved. However we are aware that some customers, are continuing to experience issues. We must now treat these as individual issues.
But my issue isn't getting sorted as I got told to reboot the box and the call was ended by the 'support' guy before I could retry it
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 22:40   #12
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Try doing what I did earlier, connect ethernet up to hub and TiVo. Played a stuttering programme all the way through with no problems.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 22:41   #13
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Try doing what I did earlier, connect ethernet up to hub and TiVo. Played a stuttering programme all the way through with no problems.
Unfortunately I can't do that as the hub and box are not close and I don't have those home plug things
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 22:47   #14
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Even with a tivo connected to the hub it won't make a difference. I don't k ow why they are saying it's resolved I was told my tivo won't be fixed till 2015 for bbc buffering
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 00:12   #15
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
That wouldn't actually have had any effect.

The TiVo uses its internal modem for streaming and NOT the ethernet.

Its a pain, iPlayer is really bad but ITV player content is rather jerky too on playback.