Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 24-08-2019, 17:53   #1696
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It’s not really helping that you are not addressing my answers. I’ve already explained that Amazon is most likely to have been testing the waters this time around. This makes perfect sense. Why would they invest all that money without doing a trial run first?

I acknowledge what you have said about Sky’s additional services, but you haven’t commented on the fact that Amazon is essentially a retail business, so there is an opportunity there to link football subscriptions with sales and takeup of Amazon Prime.

As for broadband, is your comment actually admitting that the distribution of super-fast broadband actually has a way to go yet?
No, it's actually the vast majority of the way there - 95%.

I have acknowledged that Amazon could try to link it with their retail operation and pointed out it's a massive ask to turn that into hundreds of millions/billions in profits on the additional items. I've also pointed out that the rights they've got for next to nothing will let them hit the low hanging fruit negating the need for, and impact of, any future investment.

I think by "Why would they invest all that money without doing a trial run first?" what you mean to say is that £5bn or more is a huge amount of money to try out a fundamentally high risk and untested business model. If that is what you meant by that question then I'm happy to agree. It's a massive risk.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2019, 17:59   #1697
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
No, it's actually the vast majority of the way there - 95%.

I have acknowledged that Amazon could try to link it with their retail operation and pointed out it's a massive ask to turn that into hundreds of millions/billions in profits on the additional items. I've also pointed out that the rights they've got for next to nothing will let them hit the low hanging fruit negating the need for, and impact of, any future investment.

I think by "Why would they invest all that money without doing a trial run first?" what you mean to say is that £5bn or more is a huge amount of money to try out a fundamentally high risk and untested business model. If that is what you meant by that question then I'm happy to agree. It's a massive risk.
I’m going for a curry. Clearly, nothing will change. Everything remains the same. At least in your comfortable world.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 19:43   #1698
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I'm quite confident everything will change. However not as suddenly, or in the direction, you may think.
Old 24-08-2019, 22:41   #1699
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

The facts are that Amazon secured a trivial package of 2 riunds of matches that first round bids were not deemed sufficient for.

The fact no one has ever supplied details of this after sale suggests they didn't pay what EPL originally wanted.

If it were a minor game each week, I could accept they would get some idea how viable it would be. Unfortunately for them it is saturation coverage in 2 December mid-weeks, proving very little.

I for one will take a months free subs to get an idea (and watch for nothing) if I would subscribe if they did bid & get better packages next time round.

I will not subscribe to Amazon because of this, but I will get a better idea of if streaming is for me at no extra cost.

A win-win solution I would suggest.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 00:17   #1700
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
The facts are that Amazon secured a trivial package of 2 riunds of matches that first round bids were not deemed sufficient for.

The fact no one has ever supplied details of this after sale suggests they didn't pay what EPL originally wanted.

If it were a minor game each week, I could accept they would get some idea how viable it would be. Unfortunately for them it is saturation coverage in 2 December mid-weeks, proving very little.

I for one will take a months free subs to get an idea (and watch for nothing) if I would subscribe if they did bid & get better packages next time round.

I will not subscribe to Amazon because of this, but I will get a better idea of if streaming is for me at no extra cost.

A win-win solution I would suggest.
That is true. But I would imagine that Amazon felt this bid would be useful for a number of reasons, including testing the likely take-up, assessing the issues with streaming premiership football and analysing customer feedback.

Where that all leads, we shall see.

---------- Post added at 00:17 ---------- Previous post was at 00:16 ----------

Quote:
I'm quite confident everything will change. However not as suddenly, or in the direction, you may think.
Time flies, jfman.
Old 25-08-2019, 05:52   #1701
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Where that all leads, we shall see.
It will lead to the road to nowhere but alas you seem to be having problems finding the route.
Old 25-08-2019, 08:32   #1702
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Coming Soon to Virgin Media is the title of this thread. We seem to have wandered way off topic..So can we please get back to that topic?
Old 25-08-2019, 11:19   #1703
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Coming Soon to Virgin Media is the title of this thread. We seem to have wandered way off topic..So can we please get back to that topic?
While I agree, given virgins lack of movement . Perhaps it's time to consign this thread to history !
Old 25-08-2019, 11:50   #1704
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I thought it was established this was the absolute fantasy thread?
Old 25-08-2019, 11:59   #1705
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I thought it was established this was the absolute fantasy thread?
So true , guessing at best No mention of the sports link up by virgin Ireland .
Old 25-08-2019, 15:47   #1706
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

RXTV on Twitter is reporting that "Ideal World and Create & Craft are preparing to launch in HD on satellite."

Media Boy HQ has found that Ideal World is broadcasting with an new logo.

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
So true , guessing at best No mention of the sports link up by virgin Ireland .
Here a mention.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019...t-sports-deal/

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Apparently, the VM stance on this is "no comment" and the Sky stance is "Yes, they'll be coming to VM".
Any link that confirm they will launch (We can't see any).
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 16:17   #1707
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

I saw that a few days ago. Not seen any evidence it's coming to Cable yet though. Even the "mighty" QVC hasn't launched their HD versions on Cable.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 16:25   #1708
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
RXTV on Twitter is reporting that "Ideal World and Create & Craft are preparing to launch in HD on satellite."

Media Boy HQ has found that Ideal World is broadcasting with an new logo.
God! Shopping channels! Is that the best we can be looking forward to?

What I am interested in is what additional on demand content we will be getting from Sky next year. That may or may not be quite significant.
Old 25-08-2019, 17:20   #1709
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
God! Shopping channels! Is that the best we can be looking forward to?

What I am interested in is what additional on demand content we will be getting from Sky next year. That may or may not be quite significant.
When you take away that well known Sky channel that only broadcast on Sky what other channel do YOU want Virgin to go after?

I would love Virgin to go after MTV CLASSIC other than that we cant think of any channel we want.

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I saw that a few days ago. Not seen any evidence it's coming to Cable yet though. Even the "mighty" QVC hasn't launched their HD versions on Cable.
We did not see that - only log on today.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 17:37   #1710
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
When you take away that well known Sky channel that only broadcast on Sky what other channel do YOU want Virgin to go after?

I would love Virgin to go after MTV CLASSIC other than that we cant think of any channel we want.

But not a shopping channel, for heaven's sake!

AMC would do for starters!