Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 27-08-2019, 19:45   #1081
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Oh, so you're questioning what the PM says as well, are you? Ok......
I challenge you to find it in a legally binding contract, Charter, primary or secondary legislation.

Tony Blair said there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Theresa May said there would be no 2017 General Election.

Your faith in politicians might explain your faith in digital marketing blogs though!
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2019, 19:46   #1082
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Not that I've read.

Do you work in the field? If not, that's a curious use of 'we'.

Interesting way to describe streamers not offering value for a little more than the price of a London pint.

Except for the linear dinosaurs like your wife, apparently.

No you don't, that's why are are still here five years on having the same debate.

No.

Prioritise that and get Vodafone broadband for £21 a month and a SIM for £15, net saving £63 a month.

You are right they don't exist - only the fantasy in your mind.

Oh?

A curious way to say that it represents extraordinary value.

Cheaper than streaming it, I suppose!

You have all the credibility of a communist dictator enjoying all the exuberances of capitalism while telling the proletariat what to think.

Comrades!

You should get streaming! Uou should satisfy yourself with less choice! greater expense! You should lose straightforward access to content and instead use a range of apps! It will be wonderful!

I'll sit with my V6 on the full package, the market leading product but if you could all cancel to assist the achievement of my glorious vision for the future, that'd be much appreciated!
Now we know you're trolling! What a lot of bullshit you do spout! You just contradict for the sake of it. Obviously, you must get off on this so I will leave you to your own devices.
Old 27-08-2019, 19:46   #1083
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
and you might wish to review your comment.
As with before l suspect that you will be the one eating humble pie...
Old 27-08-2019, 19:46   #1084
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I challenge you to find it in a legally binding contract, Charter, primary or secondary legislation.

Tony Blair said there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Theresa May said there would be no 2017 General Election.

Your faith in politicians might explain your faith in digital marketing blogs though!
Don't challenge me, challenge the PM!
Old 27-08-2019, 19:47   #1085
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l will sit and watch and nothing will happen l suspect so that's the end of that....
Or just watch something else on the hundreds of linear channels and tens of thousands of hours of on demand content available?

I don't know why Old Boy seems to think Disney have viewers the same was as Manchester United have 'fans'.

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

Quote:
Don't challenge me, challenge the PM!
So you can't find it? I have asked you to reference something that must be publicly available.

Thanks for clarification. And you accuse me of trolling! You adopted someone else's argument without evidence simply because it was against me.

Last edited by jfman; 27-08-2019 at 19:51.
Old 27-08-2019, 19:50   #1086
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
As with before l suspect that you will be the one eating humble pie...
No way, mate. I don't know how you think the schedulers will fill all the gaps in their schedules once the streamers get their acts together. Repeats of Dixon of Dock Green and Thank Your Lucky Stars, no doubt!

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Quote:
Or just watch something else on the hundreds of linear channels and tens of thousands of hours of on demand content available?

I don't know why Old Boy seems to think Disney have viewers the same was as Manchester United have 'fans'.

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

So you can't find it? I have asked you to reference something that must be publicly available.

Thanks for clarification. And you accuse me of trolling!
Look it up yourself! It's about time you gave us a few links to justify your criticisms of everyone else.
Old 27-08-2019, 19:52   #1087
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I ask, for the third time, can you evidence where the BBC would be acting illegally after 2020 if it didn't fund TV licences for the over-75s.

You are the one trying to take me to task here with something that should be available in a Charter, primary or secondary legislation. It's a quick win, surely?

Unless you simply made it up. I can't prove something doesn't exist!
Old 27-08-2019, 19:56   #1088
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I ask, for the third time, can you evidence where the BBC would be acting illegally after 2020 if it didn't fund TV licences for the over-75s.

You are the one trying to take me to task here with something that should be available in a Charter, primary or secondary legislation. It's a quick win, surely?

Unless you simply made it up. I can't prove something doesn't exist!
And again, I said look it up yourself. Where did I make such a claim anyway? I have never said that the Beeb would be acting illegally if it no longer funded licences for the over 75s!
Old 27-08-2019, 19:58   #1089
jfman
Architect of Ideas

It's the same point as the Government saying it can push it to subscription services during the Charter.

What Boris says, and what Boris can do (also known as reality), are two different things.
Old 27-08-2019, 20:08   #1090
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
It's the same point as the Government saying it can push it to subscription services during the Charter.

What Boris says, and what Boris can do (also known as reality), are two different things.
It's a completely different point, which you have introduced deliberately to confuse issues.

I don't need to justify to you what I have said about the licence fee. It's a matter of record. The BBC know it is most likely to be abolished following the next licence review, and they are working towards that eventuality, whether you, Den or I like it or not.

So stop trying to shoot the messenger.
Old 27-08-2019, 20:53   #1091
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
What I'm saying is making the comparison you made is not valid. You do not have more than 1 electricity supplier at a time do you? The same can be said for your other choices.

You don't change your electric supplier ever month either!
Old 28-08-2019, 00:32   #1092
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
You don't change your electric supplier ever month either!
Most people wouldn't be changing their streaming service every month, either. Some would, though. The lack of a contract gives you far more freedom than a Sky or VM subscription.
Old 28-08-2019, 07:19   #1093
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
You said it would be more expensive and I've told you why it wouldn't be.

Despite what you say, there are plenty of people on these forums who endlessly talk about switching, obtaining the best deals and so forth. With streamers, you are able to access huge amounts of good content very cheaply. Switching streamers is extremely easy, as you well know.
Except for the fact that Disney will release it's new shows weekly very clever considering they'll have only a fraction of what Netflix has currently at launch.

So not as easy as you suggest to swap if you are watching something with a lot of episodes that get added weekly.

Disney will be safe because of the amount and popularity of the content they own as will some of the established players although they may struggle to grow at the rate they once did. Others will struggle though in my opinion.
Old 28-08-2019, 07:46   #1094
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

There are quite a few good series that have over 20 episodes MM but OB's thinking does not often equate with bread and butter reality.
Old 28-08-2019, 07:53   #1095
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Except for the fact that Disney will release it's new shows weekly very clever considering they'll have only a fraction of what Netflix has currently at launch.

So not as easy as you suggest to swap if you are watching something with a lot of episodes that get added weekly.

Disney will be safe because of the amount and popularity of the content they own as will some of the established players although they may struggle to grow at the rate they once did. Others will struggle though in my opinion.
Add to that, Disney and Amazon offer a lower annual subscription rate. If you want the freedom to pay monthly and hop on and off a service, you will pay a premium for it.

Last edited by Chris; 28-08-2019 at 08:59.
Closed Thread