Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 27-08-2019, 17:42   #1066
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

I just spotted a further Old Boy classic.

when the TV licence is scrapped

There we have it. All this chat has almost nothing to do with diversity of content, emerging tech or a brave and exciting future. It's Old Boy and his preference to dismantle almost anything state funded in favour of the private sector. Regardless of whether this is overseas companies or not.

The biggest barrier to this, of course, is the notion you can buy a television in this country plug it in and watch the BBC.

His fantasy is only fulfilled if linear goes because the BBC will have to be there if it continues to exist.

Last edited by jfman; 27-08-2019 at 18:12.
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2019, 17:53   #1067
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

With the BBC in breach of their charter agreement with OAP free licences the charter may be null and void. Offcom *could* take them off air.
Old 27-08-2019, 18:00   #1068
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Is it a Charter agreement to do it or investigate the feasibility of it? That's not the same thing.
Old 27-08-2019, 18:09   #1069
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Times:
The broadcaster was forced to accept responsibility for funding and running the concession by George Osborne, who was chancellor during the last charter renewal negotiations in 2015. Mr Johnson said: “The BBC received a settlement that was conditional upon their paying for TV licences for the over-75s. They should cough up.”
Doesn't look optional to me. Shut them down.
Old 27-08-2019, 18:11   #1070
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Doesn't look optional to me. Shut them down.
"Mr Johnson said". Can you find it in a contract, agreement, primary or secondary legislation?
Old 27-08-2019, 18:13   #1071
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Go and find out what Gideon actually agreed to. Might surprise you.
Old 27-08-2019, 18:15   #1072
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Link? You've obviously found it already.

https://www.bbc.com/aboutthebbc/repo...licence-policy

They've spent an awful lot of time on something fundamentally illegal according to you.
Old 27-08-2019, 18:50   #1073
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

This of course is a BBC document that has no relevance. I'm more interested in independent legal analysis.

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Something less biased:

Quote:
Quote from Gov.uk:
Government has reached an agreement with the BBC that it will take on the cost of providing free television licences for over-75s.

This will be phased in from 2018/19 with the BBC taking on the full costs from 2020/21.

Having inherited a challenging fiscal position, the Government is pleased that BBC has agreed to play its part in contributing to reductions in spending like much of the rest of the public sector, while at the same time further reducing its overall reliance on taxpayers.
As I stated to refuse this is to breach the charter and the right to broadcast on linear channels.
Old 27-08-2019, 19:03   #1074
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Ooer...

Quote:
Published 6 July 2015
Quote:
The deal we have agreed with the Corporation means that it will take on the significant cost of TV licences for the over-75s, easing some of the pressure on taxpayers who have to meet the country’s welfare bill, while also ensuring that our promise to maintain pensioner benefits is met in full over the next five years.
My bold

Director-General of the BBC, Tony Hall, said:

Quote:
We have secured the right deal for the BBC in difficult economic circumstances for the country. This agreement secures the long term funding for a strong BBC over the next Charter period. It means a commitment to increase the licence fee in line with inflation, subject to Charter Review, the end of the iPlayer loophole and the end of the broadband ringfence. In the circumstances, the BBC has agreed take on the costs for free licence fees for over-75s, and after the next parliament, will take on the policy.
My bold once again

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...United_Kingdom

Anything on the legal status after June 2020?
Old 27-08-2019, 19:36   #1075
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
ITV, the largest non-state, non-subscription service in the country isn't a major owner of content? They just broadcast thousands of hours of nothing per month? They produce, and own the rights to, plenty of content.

You're, unsurprisingly, clinging to the ridiculous now.
Of course they own content, but they will no longer be able to buy in content because it will go to the streamers.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Quote:
I just spotted a further Old Boy classic.

when the TV licence is scrapped

There we have it. All this chat has almost nothing to do with diversity of content, emerging tech or a brave and exciting future. It's Old Boy and his preference to dismantle almost anything state funded in favour of the private sector. Regardless of whether this is overseas companies or not.

The biggest barrier to this, of course, is the notion you can buy a television in this country plug it in and watch the BBC.

His fantasy is only fulfilled if linear goes because the BBC will have to be there if it continues to exist.
And there we have it. Everything I have said about this subject is related to how things are going. You and others have tried to personalise this into framing my views on what the future will look like as what I want!

I think there are a few of you on here who are just trolling and stirring up trouble.

Boris Johnson commented only the other day about converting the TV licence into a subscription, so if you want to blame anyone, blame the government.

Blaming me for stating it is simply ridiculous.

What has your 'notion' got to do with it? If the government legislate, your notion is shot to pieces.
Old 27-08-2019, 19:37   #1076
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Of course they own content, but they will no longer be able to buy in content because it will go to the streamers.
About big statement but alas with no substantiation to it.
Old 27-08-2019, 19:37   #1077
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Thank you all for your views on this, which are very interesting. I do think that...
I understand that concern... what is not being acknowledged... I know so many of you believe... but how much more difficult is it...I note the worries... ... no doubt Virgin Media, Sky and BT will... I am absolutely certain that other providers will follow.

Also, people are not recognising... You will be able to... and all that remains for you to do... which scotches the negative thinking...

Grim is also worried... I think people will... Just enter the date on your mobile phone and set the alert!

jfman, as ever, throws a few wobblers. I think most of these points have been answered over time
Not that I've read.

Quote:
...I simply don't agree... although Sky has a lot of its own content, it probably (reluctantly, I suspect) sees itself going that way as well...

Ultimately, there will be a whole range of streamers available... you can choose what you want... For channels, think streamers, and everything should fall into place...

Although Legendkiller supposes... in common with many who believe things will change very gradually, I cannot agree with this... We are not waiting for the very last viewer to stop watching scheduled linear tv
Do you work in the field? If not, that's a curious use of 'we'.

Quote:
That lesson needs to be learned...
Of course, the people to worry about in all this are the poor, who could not run to spending their money on pay tv or streamers...
Interesting way to describe streamers not offering value for a little more than the price of a London pint.

Quote:
This will be catered for when the TV licence is scrapped... everyone has plenty of choice in the future.
Except for the linear dinosaurs like your wife, apparently.

Quote:
I acknowledge...
No you don't, that's why are are still here five years on having the same debate.

Quote:
People will... Isn't that obvious?
No.

Quote:
Some people will... I still have a huge amount of content to watch on Netflix and Prime
Prioritise that and get Vodafone broadband for £21 a month and a SIM for £15, net saving £63 a month.

Quote:
why would some people feel compelled to chop and change? You are thinking through problems that don't exist.
You are right they don't exist - only the fantasy in your mind.

Quote:
by ditching my subscription to pay tv channels, I would not have easy access
Oh?

Quote:
Discovery.. TLC... Lifetime... Quest Red... Virgin Media UHD channel, Virgin Media Exclusives... I don't want all my programmes scattered around on various playlists - I want them all in one place..

I am subscribed to the top VM package because it is available to me at only £1 above the price I was paying without the Sky premium channels.
A curious way to say that it represents extraordinary value.

Quote:
Sky Sports... BT Sport... being included in the old Full House. They go with the deal, which has saved me £10.99 in subscriptions for the Movie Pass on Now TV.
Cheaper than streaming it, I suppose!

You have all the credibility of a communist dictator enjoying all the exuberances of capitalism while telling the proletariat what to think.

Comrades!

You should get streaming! Uou should satisfy yourself with less choice! greater expense! You should lose straightforward access to content and instead use a range of apps! It will be wonderful!

I'll sit with my V6 on the full package, the market leading product but if you could all cancel to assist the achievement of my glorious vision for the future, that'd be much appreciated!
Old 27-08-2019, 19:41   #1078
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
"Mr Johnson said". Can you find it in a contract, agreement, primary or secondary legislation?
Oh, so you're questioning what the PM says as well, are you? Ok......

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
About big statement but alas with no substantiation to it.
Just sit and watch what happens to the Disney material on Sky, Den, and you might wish to review your comment.
Old 27-08-2019, 19:44   #1079
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Will it?

Quote:
And there we have it. Everything I have said about this subject is related to how things are going.
No it's not.

Quote:
You and others have tried to personalise this into framing my views on what the future will look like as what I want!
On the contrary, you will find you were first to personalise it trying to portray others as dinosaurs lacking vision. You are the one persistently pushing your agenda, for reasons unknown, across multiple threads on this forum.

Quote:
I think there are a few of you on here who are just trolling and stirring up trouble.
That could easily be said for you.

Quote:
Boris Johnson commented only the other day about converting the TV licence into a subscription, so if you want to blame anyone, blame the government.

Blaming me for stating it is simply ridiculous.

What has your 'notion' got to do with it? If the government legislate, your notion is shot to pieces.
What Boris says and what Boris can do is two separate things.

I'm not sure it's my 'notion' that people can plug a TV in and pick up free to air television - it's reality, Old Boy!
Old 27-08-2019, 19:44   #1080
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Just sit and watch what happens to the Disney material on Sky, Den, and you might wish to review your comment.
l will sit and watch and nothing will happen l suspect so that's the end of that....