Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 27-06-2019, 13:33   #961
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That is the way l generally see it too as why would Sky want a service that competes with their own services.
Well if you search for a programme that is on Virgin Media Store, you will sometimes find that it is also on Netflix.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this argument. With so many options to subscribe to Prime, if Sky customers want to watch something on there, they will..

Sky would be well advised to go for it, or they will be giving their direct competitor an edge.
Advertisement
Old 27-06-2019, 14:41   #962
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well if you search for a programme that is on Virgin Media Store, you will sometimes find that it is also on Netflix.

Old 27-06-2019, 14:58   #963
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

Is your point that VM Store is not owned by VM?
Old 27-06-2019, 15:07   #964
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Is your point that VM Store is not owned by VM?
Correct
Old 27-06-2019, 16:40   #965
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Correct
Yes, I guess that figures, but personally, I think Sky has to bite the bullet. It could price its rentals a penny cheaper than the competition for example, or maybe offer a reduction on two or more rentals from the Sky Store, or, if Amazon would wear it, a Prime only video service without the PPV/purchasing option. Sky is pretty inventive, I think they will find a way.

If they decide otherwise, they could put off subscribers because the competition offers something they don't,and having all the streamers in one place will prove a positive bonus for viewers.
Old 27-06-2019, 17:30   #966
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Aggregation is what we have now. Which is it I’m confused, will platforms continue to dominate or independent streamers? If it’s aggregators, why won’t Liberty and Comcast be best placed to do this?
Netflix is already dominate and it has no distribution platform of its own. My query is about companies like AT&T and Comcast who both have platforms and streamers and whether they will aggregate each other's streaming services or not.
Old 16-07-2019, 13:45   #967
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Interesting article from CNBC about the the carriage renewal negotiations currently going on between Disney and Charter (John Malone's American cableco) and it could determine the future of not just American linear tv, but ours as well (in my opinion):

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/12/disn...aming-era.html
Old 16-07-2019, 14:08   #968
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Interesting article from CNBC about the the carriage renewal negotiations currently going on between Disney and Charter (John Malone's American cableco) and it could determine the future of not just American linear tv, but ours as well (in my opinion):

Very interesting, this bit says it all really...
Quote:
But the advent of direct-to-consumer streaming products could lead to blowout public fights over the declining value of linear TV networks.
OB will be happy....
Old 16-07-2019, 17:21   #969
Horizon
Media Watcher

While we all debate about streaming and the impact on existing services, the big media companies themselves don't know how it will all play out. That's what makes these particular negotiations so interesting as it will set a precedent that the other companies will likely follow.
Old 16-07-2019, 20:07   #970
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

Thank you, Horizon. For me, a significant paragraph was this one:

As MoffettNathanson analyst Craig Moffett wrote in a note to clients this week, cable providers are coming around to the idea that it’s OK to lose TV subscribers as long as they keep paying for internet access.

This could be right, of course, but having just acquired the 'ultimate oomph' package, which gave me my existing channels + Sky Movies + Sky Sports + 500 Mb speed broadband (instead of 'only' 200 Mb) and a new 'unlimited' SIM for only £1 more than I was paying before, I do wonder if the cablecos are ready to ditch the pay tv subs so readily just yet.

It is a very confused picture, because by rights, TV subscribers should be migrating faster towards VOD, and yet, as some of the posts here show, some are still happy to be bullied into watching their favourite programmes at times dictated to them by the schedulers and to suffer having to watch intolerable waves of insufferable advertisements when they could be watching much better quality material at times of their choosing.

I still think the younger generation will ultimately change the ways of the older people, but I must admit to being surprised at the number of people who are content just to sit there and be fed whatever is thrown at them. If I ever get like that, I would be grzteful if someone would just put me down! Sorry if that was politically incorrect... :

Not really!
Old 16-07-2019, 20:12   #971
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I record off the linear channels so it’s simple to zip through ad breaks.
Old 16-07-2019, 20:12   #972
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
It is a very confused picture, because by rights, TV subscribers should be migrating faster towards VOD, and yet, as some of the posts here show, some are still happy to be bullied into watching their favourite programmes at times dictated to them by the schedulers and to suffer having to watch intolerable waves of insufferable advertisements when they could be watching much better quality material at times of their choosing.
What a very strange comment as no one is being bullied into watching their favourite programmes dictated by the schedulers as the fact remains TV subscribers are not as stupid as you seem to think.
Old 16-07-2019, 20:15   #973
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
Thank you, Horizon. For me, a significant paragraph was this one:

As MoffettNathanson analyst Craig Moffett wrote in a note to clients this week, cable providers are coming around to the idea that it’s OK to lose TV subscribers as long as they keep paying for internet access.

This could be right, of course, but having just acquired the 'ultimate oomph' package, which gave me my existing channels + Sky Movies + Sky Sports + 500 Mb speed broadband (instead of 'only' 200 Mb) and a new 'unlimited' SIM for only £1 more than I was paying before, I do wonder if the cablecos are ready to ditch the pay tv subs so readily just yet.

I still think the younger generation will ultimately change the ways of the older people, but I must admit to being surprised at the number of people who are content just to sit there and be fed whatever is thrown at them. If I ever get like that, I would be grzteful if someone would just put me down! Sorry if that was politically incorrect... :

Not really!
You're welcome old boy.

As has been said many times before, we must be careful to differentiate America from ourselves, as they do a "few" things differently, not least, force anyone who wants pay tv to have ESPN. I'm waiting to see if Charter now show resistance to that, especially as Disney now have the ESPN+ streamer too.

But I still think these carriage renewal talks between these two companies will have long term implications not just for America, but everywhere else too.

On your specific point, yes, obviously if someone wants to stream Netflix etc, they need net access, but does that need to be through a cableco now? Like here, 5g is launching over there too.

Last edited by Horizon; 16-07-2019 at 22:12.
Old 16-07-2019, 20:15   #974
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Not really!
Funny that as you have always said "experience is everything"
Old 16-07-2019, 20:26   #975
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I record off the linear channels so it’s simple to zip through ad breaks.
As do I, but where possible I stream, because then I don't even see the ads.

---------- Post added at 20:26 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Funny that as you have always said "experience is everything"
It is, Den, but it is also true that after 50, some become very set in their ways.
Closed Thread