Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 10-02-2017, 23:25   #2836
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

This is why VM has such a poor reputation.

The delivery of my V6 didn't happen. We had a text yesterday from VM saying that the V6 would be installed today - 10th Feb between 1pm and 6pm.

Wife waited until 5pm and called CS and was advised that the date had been changed. She was transferred to the UK. And was placed in a queue and was told that we had engineers on 8th to repair a faulty standard box that was sent by courier. The box didn't work and had to be replaced by the engineer.

CS told my wife that the job had been completed. She stated that she had a text yesterday stating a delivery for today for the V6.

They said NO, the delivery is for 14th which is Tuesday. When asked. Who changed the date - we did VM said.

When asked why wasn't l called, they said we don't know. So my wife waited in all afternoon for nothing. Even the sales rep said that the service was unacceptable

VM you are a total shambles
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2017, 04:49   #2837
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
This is the problem with products like the V6 and Sky Q , the majority of customers will choose the neatest and easiest way to connect their boxes and sadly WiFi can be very problematic for some especially those in bigger or older homes with thick walls.
No problems here MM as you can hear next doors cat snoring through the wafer thin walls..

---------- Post added at 04:49 ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASMO View Post
I find my TiVo box painstakingly slow at times is the V6 worth the upgrade then?
Well l am only going by 1 day mind but its like comparing a one snail coming at you at normal speed and the following snail coming at you with the speed of a tsunami.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:23   #2838
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No problems here MM as you can hear next doors cat snoring through the wafer thin walls.
As does my box , but then that doesn't make what I've said any less correct.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:28   #2839
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
As does my box , but then that doesn't make what I've said any less correct.
We have thick walls - we live in a 1950s built house. The superhub is in a different room from the V6s and the wifi works perfectly.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:00   #2840
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
We have thick walls - we live in a 1950s built house. The superhub is in a different room from the V6s and the wifi works perfectly.
I'll say it again I'm not saying it doesn't but that isn't the case for everyone. Ethernet is always the best solution however I accept not everyone wants the wiring around the home.

Last edited by muppetman11; 11-02-2017 at 12:05.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 19:40   #2841
supermanscott
Inactive

supermanscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Is anyone else monumentally underwhelmed by the V6 ?

Virgin got together and said "we need to come up with a box that competes with Sky Q ... what we should do, is update the hardware, then put the same clunky out of date operating system we've been using since the before even the Tivo came along, and put that on it! yay!"
supermanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 19:59   #2842
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanscott View Post

Virgin got together and said "we need to come up with a box that competes with Sky Q ... what we should do, is update the hardware, then put the same clunky out of date operating system we've been using since the before even the Tivo came along, and put that on it! yay!"
Do you actually have a V6 box? Did Sky tell you to say that?

I have two V6s and they are amazing. I have seen reports suggesting that the V6 is better than Sky Q, although I can't comment on that as no-one I know has one.
Old 11-02-2017, 20:07   #2843
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
then put the same clunky out of date operating system we've been using since the before even the Tivo came along
So which operating system is that? And which one do you think they should have used, and why?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 20:07   #2844
supermanscott
Inactive

Quote:

I have two V6s and they are amazing. I have seen reports suggesting that the V6 is better than Sky Q, although I can't comment on that as no-one I know has one.
If anyone is working for a provider it's you if you think it's amazing!
What's amazing about it?
It's got the same user interface we've had since the V+ days , there's no new features at all (increasing the tuners does not count) , we've been so beaten down by the previously lousy operating speeds they finally give us one that operates at a normal speed and we think it's amazing!??

Where's the modern GUI, or proper multi media multi platform streaming etc?

Tbh just a nice new GUI woulda been enough for me.
Old 11-02-2017, 20:23   #2845
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

l cannot comment on Sky's new box but suffice to say not everybody is ever going to be happy whatever box the big providers put out as we all have different demands and different tastes as one man's meat is another man's poison as they say.
Old 11-02-2017, 20:36   #2846
supermanscott
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
So which operating system is that? And which one do you think they should have used, and why?
I wasn't on about the underlying os. I was on about the system we use to operate the box.
Something not designed 10+ years ago that adheres to current UX thinking would be good.
Let me rearrange the channels, don't make me press right 5 times to achieve something youve seen me achieve 1000s of times before, let me see in little windows what's happening on 8 or 9 channels as an overview. Let me pause a tv show and carry it on my tablet.
That kinda stuff.
Old 11-02-2017, 22:00   #2847
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:

It's a little boring compared to sky q
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:17   #2848
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
It's a little boring compared to sky q
In what way? as most people are just happy with a decent all round functioning box rather then all the jazzy add on bells and whistles.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:44   #2849
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
In what way? as most people are just happy with a decent all round functioning box rather then all the jazzy add on bells and whistles.
I don't have sky q but I've used the remote on a few installs when setting up the wifi and I'm instantly wowed from the remote to the fluid viewing, the way the menus move and the pictures.

If customers are expected to pay £65 for a box I'd expect a few bells and whistles. The box is fine but it can do so much more with that power
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:03   #2850
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
If anyone is working for a provider it's you if you think it's amazing!
What's amazing about it?
It's got the same user interface we've had since the V+ days , there's no new features at all (increasing the tuners does not count) , we've been so beaten down by the previously lousy operating speeds they finally give us one that operates at a normal speed and we think it's amazing!??

Where's the modern GUI, or proper multi media multi platform streaming etc?

Tbh just a nice new GUI woulda been enough for me.
We all want different things, old bean. Both the Sky Q and the V6 are good pieces of kit and which one does it for you is down to personal preference.

However, both have their merits, with each having advantages over the other. That' s not just me saying that.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1396...the-difference